Tube amp users

thesplawnster

• Members

I always have spare tube lying around. Usually they are old ones from when I retube, but they are still good enough to keep lying around. I also have a few NOS and good preamp tubes on hand in case I want to experiment or I get new amp in that needs tweaking.

• Members

I have a box with about 20 new preamp tubes of all different makes from failed experiments with different amps, or stock ones that I yanked out of new amps. I've got another box with quads of 6550, EL34, and KT77. Wouldn't ya know it though, I'm getting an amp that uses 6L6, so I'll need to buy some more. I have only one extra fuse though. :facepalm:

• Members

I have a mix of old stock, different new ones, and ones I kept from amps when I fancied a bit of a change.

I also have a spare quad of el84s, but no spare el34s at the moment.

I have spare fuses for one amp, but none yet for the other.

• Members

I run my twin at 50W, so my other 50W in tubes is my spare.

As for preamp, I actually carry every kind of 12a_7 around.

I know what you mean,

Once you get an amp that uses a 12AT7 for the reverb and a 12AU7 for the phase splitter you need to keep spares of all of them..

• Members
I use to have some..but to be honest i have never had one go out and I have been playing for over 15 years.

hell i still have the stock tubes in my peavey from the 90's, my old fender had the stock tubes from the 70's.

geeze, 15 years is some good luck man. I've had 2 brand new pres give up the ghost in the last 6 months, along with a new KT77 power tube. One of my Tung Sol 12ax7 just died completely after a month of limited use, the getter completely disappeared from the top of the tube and left like a smokey white looking residue where it used to be silver. I also have a JJ and TAD pre that still work, but sound like muddy ass in any amp, even compared to other JJ and TAD. Not sure what happened there. :confused:

• Members

I use to have some..but to be honest i have never had one go out and I have been playing for over 15 years.

hell i still have the stock tubes in my peavey from the 90's, my old fender had the stock tubes from the 70's.

Them are older tubes. They last a lot longer than todays.

• Members

i've a matched quad of el34's, a matched quad of 6l6's, and some random pairs of each that i keep around...also about half a dozen preamp tubes and an el84

i almost drove to Greenville for the Yonder Mountain show Thursday.

You in a band? Ever play shows around Myrtle Beach?

• Members

When I was in a band I always had 3 sets around... one in the amp, one from the amp before I retubed, one new set.

Now that I'm playing Madison Square Bedroom I don't keep a spare around. If my amp goes down for the count, I can wait three days for Doug to send me up a set.

Archived