Saw Metallica, Down and The Sword Saturday night...

MattACaster

• Members

Great show all in all. IT was at the iWireless center in Moline, IL which I've never been too before. It turned out to be a great place to see a show like that. It's fairly small for an arena so even though we were on the upper deck we still fantastic seats.

The Sword- Never seen or heard these guys before. The guitar work was really tight but without a point of reference it was hard to make out what was going on. Their sound was kind of muffed and for the most part it sounded like noise. One guitar player was a running a Gibson Silverburst into a Laney AOR and Orange head into a pair of Laney cabs. The other guitar player had a Gibson V into the same head but with Orange cabs.

Down- They {censored}ing killed!!! The whole band was fantastic with tons of energy. Phil's voice sounded great and the guitars and drums sounded massive. Great setlist too. The perfect mix of old and new stuff. From what I can remember, they played... (not in order)

Beneath the Tides

On March The Saints

Lifer

Temptation's Wings

Stone The Crow

Lysergik Funeral Procession

The Path

Bury Me In Smoke

Coulnd't see Down's amps. I assume they were using their Marshall JCM800s though. Pepper was rocking black Gibson 335s most of the night and occasionally brought out a black Gibson Firebird. Kirk used a burst LTD EC-1000 for most of the night. If he switched I coudln't see since he was facing away from me most of the show.

Metallica- What can I say, they were Metallica. They sounded great and had a ton of energy.

Setlist

That Was Just Your Life

The End Of The Line

Harvester Of Sorrow

For Whom the Bell Tolls

One

Broken, Beat And Scarred

Cyanide

Sad But True

Wherever I May Roam

The Four Horsemen

The Day That Never Comes

Master Of Puppets

Blackened

Nothing Else Matters

Enter Sandman

Encore:

Last Caress

Breadfan

Seek and Destroy

I was a bit disapointed in the setlist because, for the most part, it's the same old stuff they play at every show. It was pretty cool to see Harvester of Sorrow, though. The laser show they had setup was bad ass though and I'm glad they didn't over use it. Right at the end during Seek and Destroy they dropped a ton of black beech balls with Metallica written on them on the crowed. And I mean a TON of them. They were getting thrown all over the place. The ones that would end up on stage Metallica would try to kick back off. Rob did a running kick at one and it ended up hitting Kirk in the face. :lol:

All in all, it was a good evening.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah I saw some clips on Youtube. The whole laser show they have going on now seems really cool. I didn't get tickets for the next show in Holland :(

Let's hope they don't announce their retirement after this tour... Now would be a great time to quit for them. Better now than with the St. Anger release.

• Members

But a third of the tracks you listed are from the new album... what were you expecting?
:confused:

Only 4 songs from the new album.

I was hoping they pull out some or obscure stuff. Trapped Under Ice maybe or Dyer's Eve. Something like that. Hell, even something from Load or ReLoad would have been nice.

• Members

Ive went and seen this tour 4 times thus far and I havent been let down yet. Metallica sounds tighter than Ive ever heard them. Theyve really cleaned up their live mix too. Lars' kick drum used to drown out the the whole damn band , but now their mix is great.

The Sword has blown me away every time Ive seen them. Definately the best guitar tone of the tour IMO.

I am a HUGE Down fan and Ive gotta say , they need a FOH guy , because so far , all four of the shows , they have sounded like {censored} compared to the other two bands. Chainsaw guitar tone and no drums whatsoever. Ive seen them dozens of times previously and theyve always sounded amazing , but this tour , something is kooky out front. Nonetheless , they are putting on a KILLER show. Its amazing to me how people dont know who they are though. At all four shows , the crowd for Down is pretty tame until Phil tells them that he and Rex are from Pantera.

All in all , AWESOME TOUR!!

• Members

Woot! Yeah I saw them last Thursday in Omaha, I totally missed The Sword, I was stuck in traffic for three hours. I got to my seat just in time for Down, I was row 3 so I was about 40 feet from the stage. Down absolutely killed!, I almost liked them more than Metallica. But Metallica was simply amazing!

• Members

I decided to skip that show in my hometown (Moline), but did go to the Iowa/Penn St. game and get drunk with some 19 year-old college girls...I rule at tippy cup. My friends rule at getting kicked out of Kennick stadium...drinking, smoking, and being unruly around old {censored}ing shrivs...

Yeah...didn't miss much at THE MARK (for those that don't know...that's the iWireless center's name before the corporate sell out).

Archived