Saw Metallica, Down and The Sword Saturday night...

MattACaster

• Members

I live 5 minutes from this venue. I went to the show and yeah it was pretty awesome. SWORD was pretty cool, DOWN I dont care for, hate Phil with a passion but they were ok. I have the NOLA cd which I am pretty sure I will never listen to again.
Metallica was very good and thought the set list was decent enough I guess. I am actually pretty amazed how many different songs they rotate in from show to show. Go to www.livemetallica.com and check out the set lists from the tour. It looks like they might have 15-20 songs that they rotate amongst the general every night must do songs, which must be pretty fun for them.
Thought there clean tones were fairly amazing sounding, the beach balls were awesome, the pyro was cool, the lasers rocked and the coffin shaped lighting rigs that raised and lowered were neat too. Good place to see a show.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
2ekpyra.jpg

Same old Lars... Does he take the public and/or fans for stupid? The whole Napster fiasco with him wasn't that long ago and the above excerpt is completely contradictory to his views in 2000.

Hmmmmm, well all that being said, I don't blame him for fighting for the right for his band to want to control how thier product is distributed and certainly dont blame them for wanting to be paid. I'm sure there were a tons more bands who felt the same way and let Metallica fall on the sword for them, those bands should be grateful. I guess in the long run maybe it didnt make much of difference but I dont blame them for taking a stand. I buy as much music as I can and I am proud of that.

• Members
2ekpyra.jpg

Same old Lars... Does he take the public and/or fans for stupid? The whole Napster fiasco with him wasn't that long ago and the above excerpt is completely contradictory to his views in 2000.

No, it's not at all contradictory. They have always encouraged bootlegging of their LIVE shows. The napster issue was over their studio releases, and the fact that people got hold of "I Disappear" before it was officially released.

• Members

Metallica-
What can I say, they were Metallica. They sounded great and had a ton of energy.

Setlist

That Was Just Your Life

The End Of The Line

Harvester Of Sorrow

For Whom the Bell Tolls

One

Broken, Beat And Scarred

Cyanide

Sad But True

Wherever I May Roam

The Four Horsemen

The Day That Never Comes

Master Of Puppets

Blackened

Nothing Else Matters

Enter Sandman

Encore:

Last Caress

Breadfan

Seek and Destroy

I was a bit disapointed in the setlist because, for the most part, it's the same old stuff they play at every show. It was pretty cool to see Harvester of Sorrow, though. The laser show they had setup was bad ass though and I'm glad they didn't over use it. Right at the end during Seek and Destroy they dropped a ton of black beech balls with Metallica written on them on the crowed. And I mean a TON of them. They were getting thrown all over the place. The ones that would end up on stage Metallica would try to kick back off.
Rob did a running kick at one and it ended up hitting Kirk in the face.
:lol:

All in all, it was a good evening.

lmao :lol:

They're set list looks pretty solid though. It has a good mix up of old material and new. :wave:

• Members

I was there Saturday night too. Drove 4 hours and was not disapointed. I have to agree Sword had some good tone going on guitarwise, couldn't understand anything the singer was trying to sing but it sounded like he had a decent voice. Down needed some drums in the mix. Not a fan of Phil at all, so I never really got into them. Metallica was excellent. Thought I heard a few mistakes, but I'm not sure. They had alot of energy and seemed genuinely glad to be there. It always amazes me how they can sell out a stadium like that everytime they go on tour.

• Members

I like how Phil mentioned that all the guys in DOWN are/were in other bands but only mentioned that he and Rex were in Pantera and ignored the rest of the band. He also dedicated a song to Dimebag after he talked a bunch of smack about him years back. He also bashed the mic into his forehead opening a cut. What a dickbag. He really needs to stay on the bus and O.D. on pot.

• Members

Thought I heard a few mistakes, but I'm not sure.

I am fairly sure I heard them get out of time on The Day That Never Comes as I watched James turn around and look at Lars to see what the hell was going on, thought for sure there was going to be trainwreck but it got straightened out before the rails came off....coulda been bad for sure though.

You guys can download the show for $10 if you want.

I also could not beleive how many shirts were available for sale..30 maybe? Anyone count?

• Members

Not sure how you're a big fan of down and haven't heard of The Sword. :confused:

Check out Age of Winters if you want a more grooving, southern sound, and their latest release Gods of the Earth for a more traditional thrash sound.:thu:

• Members

I am fairly sure I heard them get out of time on The Day That Never Comes as I watched James turn around and look at Lars to see what the hell was going on, thought for sure there was going to be trainwreck but it got straightened out before the rails came off....coulda been bad for sure though.

You guys can download the show for $10 if you want.

I also could not beleive how many shirts were available for sale..30 maybe? Anyone count?

How much are the shirts these days? Haven't been to a concert in at least a decade.

• Members

Metallica went on a couple of minutes after 9pm, finished a little over 11:15ish by the time they left the stage. Think Sword went on about 7ish. The change over between Sword and Down was the shortest I have ever seen...maybe 10 minutes? Got bored with Down REAL fast.

• Members

Metallica went on a couple of minutes after 9pm, finished a little over 11:15ish by the time they left the stage. Think Sword went on about 7ish. The change over between Sword and Down was the shortest I have ever seen...maybe 10 minutes? Got bored with Down REAL fast.

Cool. I'm a fan of Down, and never got to see Pantera live, so this is the closest I'll get.

Archived