Worship forum...

Michael Blue

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the term Worship is broad. So broad, in fact, that if there was a worship forum established, what would that constitute? To me, worship isn't something that's added to praise, thus creating a genre of music. It's not the latest church band that sounds like Third Day, Newsboys, Telecast, or Casting Crowns, worship to me is more of a lifestyle, and a way an individual honors God, be it works, prayers, faith- the smallest act done for Him could be seen as an act of worship. How would you lead your worship? What kind of setting would it be in? Who is your target audience? Are you talking about uplifting songs? Or are you challenging the worshipper to question why they believe what they do? There are so many facets to the word Worship, and could transcend many forums if you think about it that way. Just my two cents on the topic of creating a Worship Forum. BTW- I voted in support of it as well.

• Members

No. I'm atheist but not of cult proportion. However, most folks really into their religions typically are regardless of motive. I'd feel uncomfortable about it just being here. In other words, I don't understand the whole god-worship thing and it really kind of creeps me out. That's just the plain truth with absolutely no insult intended. My whole life (53 years) I've seen religion cause more global bloodshed than any other single cause for human suffering and that's the "worship" part I fail to understand. I'm just put off by it all, any relativism aside, and quite uncomfortable when around it.

I think there are many who would take pot shots at it and it would quickly become the butt of a bad joke regardless of self-policing or a moderator riding shotgun. I would simply avoid it out of respect for the human sensibilities and sensitivities of its core members.

My vote would be a simple "no".

• Members

I don't support having a Worship forum simply because it is not fitting with how the HC forums are organized. Worship is a genre of music; there are no forums specified for other genres of music.

What I don't understand is WHY you would require a Worship forum in the Harmony Central community. This is a community of musicians on a forum that is organized in such a way that musicians from every genre meet in instrument-specific forums.

If you want to talk about guitars, and you happen to play Christian music, you should go to the same forum as the guys who play metal. If you think your topics will focus so deep into the religious realm to the degree that you can't discuss them with non-believers, I think you should go to a religious forum.

As an avid athiest, I don't care if you post Christian lyrics or want to discuss gear for your Christian band because the focus is on the music, the gear, and other universal musician topics.

So, no, you shouldn't have your own forum. That you would want to isolate yourselves is pretty outrageous.

• Members

Any such forum on HC would be trolled and trolled hard.

I think it would be difficult and extremely time-consuming to protect the sensibilities of many religious persons in an atmosphere where "spit or swallow" is considered a classic conundrum.

I agree with those above who suggest that what the OP seeks may be best served by a music group within a religious forum.

:love::wave:

• Members

The late voting is surprising...There is a swing to the "Love to's".

I wonder, if that trend continued...

There will always be people who are "creeped out" y their own perceptions of many given topics, religion not being the least of them by a long shot. The fact is, there is enough necrophilia, serial murder, and other topics in the general boards, that the "creeped out" statement really goes both ways. Which is worse, "I love You, Lord" or "I wanna {censored} the holes I make then I shoot you to death"?! The fact that pure evil is easily tolerated but any form of religion is not is astounding.

There will always be people, too, who misunderstand the purpose of the forum suggested here, it would not be a place for general discussion, all the other forums do a terrific job of that. ONLY directly worship-related stuff (the stuff that "creeps people out") would be posted there. Those who disapprove of all things religious should be all in favor of making a separate sub-forum, so it can all be easily avoided. :)

Anyways...The late voting intrigues me...

• Members

Fact,

Worship in churches is the largest venue for live audio/live music

It only makes sense to have a forum or sub-forum dedicated to this topic. If you don't beleive me, do a search... You will find dozens of threads that ask church/worship related questions. Heck I can think of several of my own threads that are church/worship specific.

Here are a few I found with search...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1931022&highlight=church
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2069255&highlight=church
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2076671&highlight=worship
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2076989&highlight=worship
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2034238&highlight=worship+church

not all great examples, but proof enough. I have a feeling that this thread will end up like the last link I posted. I guess the mods around here are all Atheist?

• Members
Anyways...The late voting intrigues me...

I hear ya, voting dynamics is a neat field (being an election year a pretty good pop-math book on election voting came out in early 2008 "gaming the vote" if voting dynamics intriques you, it's worth checking out) -- but then again I'm a QA geek with some stats background so I can dig not everyone is interested...still "Gaming the Vote" is a totally accessible read without getting bogged down in much math or game theory

It'd be cool if we could get the voting log, so we could lay it out as a time seires to look at points of inflection/stabilization -- that might be neat to look at

I think it's kinda interesting how much symetry we have (not only in the poles) in our distro even at a sample of like 65 or so

As far as validity, I have some concerns about test design and results interpretation (but that used to be my profession :D - neeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrddd / you wanna talk romantic disharmony...never QA your girlfriend's experiment design :(;) - still, she did marry me ) we have to be careful there

• Members

Fact,

Worship in churches is the largest venue for live audio/live music

It only makes sense to have a forum or sub-forum dedicated to this topic. If you don't beleive me, do a search... You will find dozens of threads that ask church/worship related questions. Heck I can think of several of my own threads that are church/worship specific.

Here are a few I found with search...

I must be misunderstanding something here.

All you did was provide evidence

• Members

I don't support having a Worship forum simply because it is not fitting with how the HC forums are organized. Worship is a genre of music; there are no forums specified for other genres of music.

What I don't understand is WHY you would require a Worship forum in the Harmony Central community. This is a community of musicians on a forum that is organized in such a way that musicians from every genre meet in instrument-specific forums.

If you want to talk about guitars, and you happen to play Christian music, you should go to the same forum as the guys who play metal. If you think your topics will focus so deep into the religious realm to the degree that you can't discuss them with non-believers, I think you should go to a religious forum.

As an avid athiest, I don't care if you post Christian lyrics or want to discuss gear for your Christian band because the focus is on the music, the gear, and other universal musician topics.

So, no, you shouldn't have your own forum. That you would want to isolate yourselves is pretty outrageous.

^^ What he said. ('cept I'm not an avid athiest.)

• Members

See, I think the idea is innocent. I'm going to put myself out there and say yes, I am a Christian. The idea of a worship forum is a good one, but I'm not sure if establishing one on Harmony Central is the place for it. The reason being that the thread would more than likely stray from the topic at hand more than a few times. People's faith would be attacked, doctrine would be brought up, and the idea of having this forum would be lost- how would you (anyone who reads this) like to moderate that forum? There would be a lot of forums locked within a short time- something that could start out as innocent could really tear at people. I firmly believe that there are people who would regularly contribute to conversation, and frequent the Worship Forum, but for the contributors, how many non relevant comments do you think would be made?

• Members

I think non-relevant stuff would happen a bit at first, then would taper off once the novelty of it wore off, except for new members who stray in there with a bad attitude. Honestly, if people know what it's for, they should be able to avoid it if it bothers them. The ones who intentionally go in and troll should be IP banned, and the entire forum would be better for it - they're the same people trolling already, just on a smaller scale, probably.

I honestly don't think actual contributors would have issues with each other, even those of other faiths, because we'd all be in there for the same reason. It's the emotional children with a chip on their shoulder, who aren't contributing and shouldn't be in there anyways, who would cause problems.

If the board was used for its intended purpose only, it wouldn't be depriving the rest of the community of good input, and the rest of the community here wouldn't have to endure conversation they apparently don't care to hear.

It's a win-win, really. Its stongest opponents should be some of its strongest supporters, if they think about it.

• Members

Its stongest opponents should be some of its strongest supporters, if they think about it.

There we need to respect the views and thoughts of others, even when they disagree. Many people have weighed in, with differing perspectives and opinions that grow from that.

It not that they aren't thinking about the issue, but that they have different thoughts about the issue.

• Members

While I do agree that several forums such as guitars and other instrument-specific threads do cover some of the topics wished to be discussed by us

• Members

While I appreciate your very strong thoughts towards my comments, you need not generalize my experiences and perspective:

1. I have supported myself for many years by playing piano in churches and religious festivals

2. I have collaborated with Christian artists to develop the MUSICAL (not lyrical) content for devotional and worship-oriented songs

3. I am not foolish and I am VERY aware that not all music in Churches is the same.

The American Heritage Dictionary defines "genre" as such:

A category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, marked by a distinctive style, form, or content: "his six String Quartets ... the most important works in the genre since Beethoven's" (Time).

I would add to that context as well. Of course not all worship and devotional music has the same style or form, but its content and context are derived around religious principles and experiences. It qualifies as a genre.

So thank you for attempting to "correct [me] and others who are making a misconception", but allow me to correct you. You remarked that "people such as [myself] would have little or no positive experience in a 'Sunday service' environment". You have inaccurately generalized me. Though I do not share Christian beliefs, I have had PLENTY of positive (read musically and collaboratively) working in church music.

• Members

That may well be, but as I've stated repeatedly in this thread, there is a whole other side to worship music that cannot be defined by music theory. "Having a good time" playing "church music" doesn't mean you've personally experienced God in a worship setting, and certainly doesn't mean that there isn't a need for people to be able to discuss the deeper meanings and purpose of worship music in a setting intended for those who have. The very purpose of worship music (of all kinds) completely transcends music theory and cannot be discussed, measured or defined simply within the scope of music theory.

Regarding genres, there are multiple genres specifically represented within worship music. Just regarding Christian worship music, there is everything from opera to bluegrass to CCM "pop" to heavy alternative. The context is all the same, but they still represent very different genres.

• Members

A category of artistic composition, as in music or literature, marked by a distinctive style, form, or
content
: "his six String Quartets ... the most important works in the genre since Beethoven's" (Time).

I would add to that
context
as well. Of course not all worship and devotional music has the same style or form, but its content and context are derived around religious principles and experiences. It qualifies as a genre.

If what you believe is so, you would have to agree with me saying that: all "mainstream" music is of the same genre, as all mainstream songs share the same content. An ignorant person might say all mainstream songs have content related to either Love, drugs or money. Even though this might be partially true, this would be a ridiculous statement! What I wish to establish is that neither Christian [worship] music, nor mainstream music can be summed up into one genre. Regardless of a definition.

While you and others may believe that our intention is to create a forum for "Worship Music", this is not so. Like it has been stated, worship in a forum context would relate to the sunday morning experience. Live music in churches is so large that it makes up a majority of the live music industry. While I am not trying to make hasty generalizations, I will say that most forumites have not played in a church situation, and many of them do not understand the issues many of us have to deal with.

Regardless of the definition of "genre" please do not consider worship one.

Point: You wouldn't tell a metal-head that the music he devotes himself to is actually considered classical, or that a a rocker is really playing country music. Who are you to determine what someone elses music is or is-not? That being said, those who play a certain type of music know it the best. And regardless of what the dictionary tells you, or what the popular belief may be, you will never be able to say that all "christian/worship" music belongs in the same genre! One mans definition or perspective does not dictate and rule anothers.

I respect your belief and do not intend to change it. I'm just telling it like it is.

Archived