Call me Selfish, but I LOVE Dominating in the Band Mix.

Chrisjd

• Members

I'm the same way. Let's face it no one really cares too much about the other instruments. They're just there for background noise. It's all about heavy guitars.

i dont agree at all, in fact these days i find myself watching every other instrument more than the guitar. i also find that most guitar players that try to be louder than everyone else usually have the worst icepick harsh tones ever cause they put everything on 10.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh crap. This thread. Mixed with your other thread:

Makes me want to avoid your live show. :-)

Seriously though, mid monsters are my pet peeve. When I see the MOAR MIDZ!!!! brigade I weep inwardly.

And wanting to be loud in the mix is unprofessional.

But good luck...You keep on turning up your amp and watch as the soundguy turns you down to a chirp.

Soundguys are obsessed with 2 things. ROCK METAL ANTHEM KICK DRUM and vocals. Both have to be huge and overpower everything.

You are helpless in the face of reality.

What do the two threads have in common?

Being that the guitar is a midrange instrument, I like to emphasize it's strongsuit, the midrange.

• Members

I think it's up to each member of the band to insure their own individual sound has an impact on the bands sound. One member can't complain that "Your guitar is cutting through to much". If that's the case drop the peavy bandit and go buy a real amp:thu:

A perfect example of incredibly overpowering guitars in a mix - As the palaces burns album by Lamb of God. 4 guitar tracks laid down for song, each with a different amp.:love: Maybe it's because I play guitar that I don't have a problem with that:lol:

• Members

What do the two threads have in common?

Being that the guitar is a midrange instrument, I like to emphasize it's strongsuit, the midrange.

Really? All you are doing is forcing the mid range.

Ballanced mids will make the power section work harder so you get a fuller sound all round. Forcing the mids will give the illusion of volume but it will be lower vol and scratchy.

But honk away! Kazoos have some nice hi mids too.

The soundguy is going to turn you down anyway because you will be piercing through the mix so what is the point of forcing it?

You will have a lot more girth putting everything on 5 and letting your power section dictate where you sit in the mix.

My eq are tubes, strings, speakers and cables. This allows me to use a flat EQ on stage, so my amp is not overcompensating in one area causing it to fart out, chirp or shrill out because you have topsy turvey convoluted {censored} going on.

I enjoy my streaming molten feedback when I require it. Rather than an uncontrollably cat midz screech you get from mid spiked sawtooth tone.

• Members
I think it's up to each member of the band to insure their own individual sound has an impact on the bands sound. One member can't complain that "Your guitar is cutting through to much". If that's the case drop the peavy bandit and go buy a real amp:thu:

A perfect example of incredibly overpowering guitars in a mix - As the palaces burns album by Lamb of God. 4 guitar tracks laid down for song, each with a different amp.
:love:
Maybe it's because I play guitar that I don't have a problem with that:lol:

I think you are right on here.

• Members

or, you could just turn down a little, let the kick and snare do their job, hear the cymbals clearer, and sound better as a band.

• Members

Ballanced mids will make the power section work harder so you get a fuller sound all round. Forcing the mids will give the illusion of volume but it will be lower vol and scratchy.

The soundguy is going to turn you down anyway because you will be piercing through the mix so what is the point of forcing it?

You will have a lot more girth putting everything on 5 and letting your power section dictate where you sit in the mix.

My eq are tubes, strings, speakers and cables. This allows me to use a flat EQ on stage, so my amp is not overcompensating in one area causing it to fart out, chirp or shrill out because you have topsy turvey convoluted {censored} going on.

I enjoy my streaming molten feedback when I require it. Rather than an uncontrollably cat midz screech you get from mid spiked sawtooth tone.

A big part of my sound is having that sawtooth, hyper aggressive tone. I don't dime my mids, but I do set them at 60-70%, probably more often 70%. I find that adding more mids gives my tone more meat.

I have never recieved ANYTHING but compliments on my tone.

• Members

A big part of my sound is having that sawtooth, hyper aggressive tone. I don't dime my mids, but I do set them at 60-70%, probably more often 70%. I find that adding more mids gives my tone more meat.

I have never recieved ANYTHING
but compliments on my tone.

Yeah because that's all they can hear probably. Your drummer is probably selling his $500 hi hats on ebay because whats the point of him buying nice stuff if you hog the freqs?

The MASSIVE guitar tone has ruined metal. And the HUGE bassy, mid monster guitar rigs are rending bass players bit part players. There are no bands anymore. Just "ooh look at my tone" production Nazis.

Modern metal guitarists want it all. They want to be the Bass, the midrange and the keyboards. And all it equals is ear fatigue and repetition.

Example: In most bands you can never notice an open over closed hi hat hit with the modern metal guitarist in the band. Effect: Drummer tightens his hi hat closed. Result: One less avenue of creation for the drummer.

So what I am saying is: You killed metal. Go in your room and think about what you did.

(I'm not that serious btw, just a pet peeve of mine)

• Members

Yeah because that's all they can hear probably. Your drummer is probably selling his $500 hi hats on ebay because whats the point of him buying nice stuff if you hog the freqs?

The MASSIVE guitar tone has ruined metal. And the HUGE bassy, mid monster guitar rigs are rending bass players bit part players. There are no bands anymore. Just "ooh look at my tone" production Nazis.

Modern metal guitarists want it all. They want to be the Bass, the midrange and the keyboards. And all it equals is ear fatigue and repetition.

Example: In most bands you can never notice an open over closed hi hat hit with the modern metal guitarist in the band. Effect: Drummer tightens his hi hat closed. Result: One less avenue of creation for the drummer.

So what I am saying is: You killed metal. Go in your room and think about what you did.

(I'm not that serious btw, just a pet peeve of mine)

Hehe. Yeah. I don't use that much bass. Simple head into a 4x12 with slightly boosted midrange. Can't be that bad.

But I will admit, I am all about the modern, crushing, huge, and almost overwhelming guitar tones.

• Members

hehe.

yeah I am a bit inconsiderate perhaps, but we all know how much an awesome, loud, crushing tone gives us chubbys at live shows.

Too bad the crowd listening doesn't usually feel the same way.

I'm all about the band as a whole sounding good. You end up looking like a bunch of amateurs with a {censored}ty sounding mix otherwise...

• Members

A lot of it has to do with the context, really. If it's a heavily guitar driven groove, you'd definitely want the guitar to come out more. On a tune where the bass and/or drums are driving the groove, you would want the bass/drums to come out a bit more. But I'm just talking more about the balance - I totally agree that no instrument should be so quiet that you can't hear them. It kinda defeats the whole purpose of having those instruments in the first place.

Mike

• Members

Hehe. Yeah. I don't use that much bass. Simple head into a 4x12 with slightly boosted midrange. Can't be that bad.

But I will admit, I am all about the modern, crushing, huge, and almost overwhelming guitar tones.

Do you downtune as well? Because when people have those tones, they can not help but chug open more often than not. And that leads to breakdowns...And that leads to the death of metal. haha.

When you have that sound, the pleasing freqs tend to hover around open chugs and short runs around the 5th 7th frets. So then you are locked in a hybrid djent/hardcore/melodeth harmony spiral which is almost impossible to break.

The landscape has changed, where it sounds better, but does not sound better.

• Members

Bingo.

Having been on both sides of the fence, I'll say that as a musician, my goal is to maximize the quality of my tone BEFORE it hits the board, and make it as easy to mix as possible Once it's there, then it's up to the soundman to ensure that it sits well within the overall mix.

Mike

EDIT: I'll add that as a musician who's not at the soundboard, you really have no idea if your tone sounds as good/loud in the mix as it does to you on the stage. Stage mix is an entirely different beast than the house mix.

• Members

Do you downtune as well? Because when people have those tones, they can not help but chug open more often than not. And that leads to breakdowns...And that leads to the death of metal. haha.

When you have that sound, the pleasing freqs tend to hover around open chugs and short runs around the 5th 7 frets. So then you are locked in a hybrid djent/hardcore/melodeth harmony spiral which is almost impossible to break.

The landscape has changed, where it sounds better, but does not
sound
better.

+11100000000 Totally hear ya, man.. I think you are right on about the feedback in a post or 2 before this as well.. I get mean dripping feedback, not that ear piercing {censored}, that is prolly linked to too much mids..

The last sentence is exact as well.. Im pretty sure we are in the minority in here, though.. The trends are strong nowadays..

• Members

When you have that sound, the pleasing freqs tend to hover around open chugs and short runs around the 5th 7th frets. So then you are locked in a hybrid djent/hardcore/melodeth harmony spiral which is almost impossible to break.

The landscape has changed, where it sounds better, but does not
sound
better.

yes, I play in C most of the time. And yes open chords/notes do sound the most pleasing because they breathe the most/have the most string vibration.

• Members

Fyn, you play a Splawn Quickrod which is a huge blob of mids. His Krankenstein with the mid full up probably still doesn't have as much midrange as your Splawn. :facepalm:

• Members

Fyn, you play a Splawn Quickrod which is a huge blob of mids. His Krankenstein with the mid full up probably still doesn't have as much midrange as your Splawn.
:facepalm:

That is why I use JJ's to darken it up, CL80 WGS speakers to give it roundness and bass and use EMG 85's instead of 81's to avoid the sizzle.

Put that combo on his Krankenstein and you will have blanket city.

Archived