Why Does Anyone Defend Lars Ulrich?

JBecker

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Lars is pretty much the only guy I like in that band. I could hang out with him. Kirk just seems like a douche and he's annoying. James is okay and the bass player just is kinda there.

The guys in my band always say I like the assholes of bands.. lol like rob arnold of chimaira. Some guys think he's an asshole but I don't see it that way. He's like me.. he takes control.. cares about the situation and does what it takes to get done. I feel Lars is the same way.

• Members

The better question should be.. Why does anyone have this irrational hate for a guy they never met?

Bunch of haters..

FWIW, without Lars there would be no Metallica.. I kinda enjoy the guy and his playing isnt the best, but he definitely did his part to make it BETTER!! Being a musician isnt always about having the best skills. Its about doing what makes great sounding music. James and him obvioulsy work well together. And Lars has always been a big part of the song-writing and arrangements, and without strong songs, a lot of those great riffs would be lost. They may be James' riffs, but they probably came from jams he had with Lars.. He is absolutely integral to the band.. Get off your soapbox and stop hating Metallica.. Its gotten too {censored}ing old at this point.. Like em or dont..

I havent bought a Metallica album since the Black album.. And I despise Load/Re-load/St.Anger.. But I never once started hating on the dudes.. They changed, so be it. In fact about the only dude in the band who didnt change was Lars. He only got richer. :idea:

• Members

The better question should be.. Why does anyone have this irrational hate for a guy they never met?

Bunch of haters..

FWIW, without Lars there would be no Metallica.. I kinda enjoy the guy and his playing isnt the best, but he definitely did his part to make it BETTER!! Being a musician isnt always about having the best skills. Its about doing what makes great sounding music. James and him obvioulsy work well together. And Lars has always been a big part of the song-writing and arrangements, and without strong songs, a lot of those great riffs would be lost. They may be James' riffs, but they probably came from jams he had with Lars.. He is absolutely integral to the band.. Get off your soapbox and stop hating Metallica.. Its gotten too {censored}ing old at this point.. Like em or dont..

I havent bought a Metallica album since the Black album.. And I despise Load/Re-load/St.Anger.. But I never once started hating on the dudes.. They changed, so be it. In fact about the only dude in the band who didnt change was Lars. He only got richer.
:idea:

Listen to a song. Forget about all the background drama bull{censored} in this band that has more drama than 16 year old girls.

The drums on most Metallica past.... oh say... what 1991... makes the song worse. Period.

The drums before that point were ignorable. They fit the music and that's that.

There's no irrational hatred. I think the man is a terrible musician coming from the strictly surface impression of listening to his playing on many songs.

• Members

Lars is not as good as he used to be, and in a way he deserves it. The way he treated Mustaine was horrible. Dave just rips Lars apart on the "Something that I'm not" video.

I thought Lars drumming on "St. Anger" sounded like he was playing on trash cans. It was that bad. I have not bought a Metallica since Reload and do not intend on doing so in the near future.

• Members

I just heard the new Metallica (not sure how new, but off of Death Magnetic) on the radio.

I actually thought the song was pretty decent and enjoyed it-- but GODDAMN Lars is one of the worst drummers to ever be a part of a "megagroup". He seriously sucks. I can think of guys who played in the high school freaking band with me that would have made that song 1000000x more interesting by supplying some actual percussion work that went beyond having two years of lessons on a kit.

I just don't get why anyone defends him at all.

MeTalli$$$$$$$$$a has the greatest fanbois I have ever seen and I can't for the life of me explain it, I could understand non-guitar playing people but guitarists????? Hammett has at least 10 sig guitars including some crazy $6000 model and people buy them :facepalm: They are a money grabbing machine, they flaunt it and people still throw money at them at insane rates.

I never understood the whole Cliff thing, I dont want to speak badly of him due to his passing on but as a bass player he was very average in a technical sense. I heard he was a cool guy and all but lets not extend the truth about his abilities.

Lars just bought some $14,000,000 painting and wears Armoni robes in the studio then writes lyrics about {censored}ing the man :facepalm:

Money making juggernaut and they readily play to their fans to get more, I have to hand it to them let can lead the lemmings..................

• Members

I'm not saying you need to play something complex at all. I'm a huge fan of pop-rock and jazz both of which often require extreme subtly to the point where the most difficult things being done are barely noticeable.

Lars Ulrich makes music worse. This was less true for some of the older Metallica stuff but this song I heard was honestly worse. Every minute of it was worse because of Lars. I couldn't help but to not even enjoy the song because of Lars loud, upfront in the mix, {censored}fest on drums that just didn't fit well and didn't compliment the music.

I don't expect technical virtuosity, but Lars Ulrich cannot write a good drum part anymore, and at his best, he wrote parts that allowed him to be forgotten.

I think your hate for Lars is what clouds your judgement for the songs. I don't even notice the drums. Maybe it's cos I'm a drum noob or because I simply listen to the guitars. To me it sounds fine.

And Kirk - I think he's fine. As I've played guitar more I realise that he can only do a few things, and his use of wah is ridiculous but he's still good. Remember he was 21 when he did those KEA solos.

• Members

He doesn't even touch the cymbals either...always power rock beat on the hats
:bor:

Its more the fact that every song seems to have the same beat. And he's so {censored}ing arrogant about it. He's always been crap and he's one of the few people/musicians i just instantly despise - along with annie lennox for some reason. Stupid bitch.

Did anyone see metallica on Jools Holland live a few months back? So out of tune
:confused:

See, this is what I am talking about. This is a true musicians view and I agree 100% with Tess on this.

• Members

Lars is not as good as he used to be, and in a way he deserves it. The way he treated Mustaine was horrible. Dave just rips Lars apart on the "Something that I'm not" video.

I thought Lars drumming on "St. Anger" sounded like he was playing on trash cans. It was that bad. I have not bought a Metallica since Reload and do not intend on doing so in the near future.

I agree with this. The "right" thing to do for both themselves and for the fans would be to invite Dave back in the fold for a cd and a tour. If for nothing else but for the FANS. Make it about something other than themselves this time. I'm sure this would be a lot harder to do contractually/business wise maybe, but still, it would be HUGE if they did. Much bigger than them individually. /rant.

• Members

Back in the day his drumming wasn't bad enough to make me not enjoy the early albums personally, I won't comment on the present day Lars though.
:lol:

Thet are going through the paces as the fire is dead with them, the 80s is long gone as the shred haters say :cop:

Pure 100% money grab with whatever they do now and they get it without breaking a sweat.

• Members

I think your hate for Lars is what clouds your judgement for the songs. I don't even notice the drums. Maybe it's cos I'm a drum noob or because I simply listen to the guitars. To me it sounds fine.

And Kirk - I think he's fine. As I've played guitar more I realise that he can only do a few things, and his use of wah is ridiculous but he's still good. Remember he was 21 when he did those KEA solos.

I don't care about Lars though. That's the thing. But I do listen to everything in every song. I'm very into listening how each part works off another part and how well constructed songs are. A good riff is not enough to make a good song for me and never was.

Everytime I listen to anything newer Metallica I come to the same conclusion-- all the complaints about Metallica being the super suck are mostly lame and over exaggeration. Sure the music doesn't have that same fresh super different thing going on for it but the songs aren't really that bad and are completely listenable and easily digested, but Lars man, he makes the songs annoying as hell. God what a bad drummer.

• Members

AJFA has some {censored}in killer drumming on that album.

After that, I don't bother to comment on anymore.

Exactly.. AJFA has great drums with cool grooves and feel..

And whenever I speak of Metallica its usually referring to the first 4 albums.. I just dont really care about the later albums to comment on individual aspects of them.. And if Master and maybe even Ride the Lightning had a more modern in your face style kick drum, I bet you would hear more clearly that he was changing things up..

• Members

And if Master and maybe even Ride the Lightning had a more modern in your face style kick drum, I bet you would hear more clearly that he was changing things up..

I figured Lars actually does a lot more double bass work than I thought. I saw them in November and for 1/4 of the show he was facing away from me and I had a clear view of his left foot. He was nailing all the double bass work for Blackened and Master of Puppets. But for some reason, he doesn't have the sensitivity turned up on his triggers for those hits to really be heard. :idk:

• Members

I figured Lars actually does a lot more double bass work than I thought. I saw them in November and for 1/4 of the show he was facing away from me and I had a clear view of his left foot. He was nailing all the double bass work for Blackened and Master of Puppets. But for some reason, he doesn't have the sensitivity turned up on his triggers for those hits to really be heard.
:idk:

He seems to want to keep the dynamics and sets his triggers to be pretty true to how he hits it.. And I can understand that, as a drummer. I mean on recordings, I typically get my kick to be pretty constant by triggering samples that are really consistant volume-wise. But when I play live I dont trigger. SOmething about the constant "typewriter" click really doesnt sound that good live, IMO.. Especially when you are doing a lot of double bass live.. There are only a handful of guys who really nail 240bpm and up double bass evenly through a live show( I know Metallica doesnt go that fast).. A lot of drummers who are very good can't pull it off perfectly live and the triggers just enhance the unevenness.

Archived