Why Does Anyone Defend Lars Ulrich?

JBecker

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Hammster sux way more on guitar than Ulrich does on drums though. I think we can all agree on this.

have to agree. I think Lars does what he needs to do for the band but Im not sure how much better they would sound with a better drummer. I feel strongly that Metallica would be a lot better with a better lead player though

• Members

have to agree. I think Lars does what he needs to do for the band but Im not sure how much better they would sound with a better drummer. I feel strongly that Metallica would be a lot better with a better lead player though

Like, maybe, Dave Mustaine?

church_lady.jpg

What's astonishing is how career musicians can actually become worse at their craft as time goes on. Must be a San Francisco thing. Lars, Kirk, and the Grateful Dead all suffer from the same stigma.

• Members

nah. lars is no better on drums than kirk on guitar. metallica ain't about great technical playing and never has been; they are about mainstream metal that is marketable to the general public.

• Members

I'm glad Im retarded when it come sto detecting good drum work. I remain blissfully unawares.

However, I do like it when they use the toms... I know that...

Also, I cant help but think of the metalocalypse comment where Skwisgaar tells Toki he is slowly unlearning how to play guitar. :lol:

• Members

Hammster sux way more on guitar than Ulrich does on drums though. I think we can all agree on this.

This is my feeling.. Ive never thought Lars was a horrid drummer, but he aint what id call great. Ive heard worse.

He IS however diseased penile seepage..

& yes.. I dont even see why discuss the weasle..

• Members

ever since the black album i've had my suspicions lars was holding the rest of em back. sure, the black album was tamer, but it was mostly the lyrics and drums. the rest was still more or less heavy.

listening to death magnetic, he's the only one that's 'lost it'. sure, some of the riffs and leads sound a little too much like the old stuff, but it more or less rocks. except lars.

i think dyer's eve might have actually permanently injured him because it was the last competent metal beat he ever did.

• Members
If he is such a bad drummer but still managed to squeeze so much money and success out of his lack of skill that would make him the ULTIMATE WARRIOR,,,, err I mean the ULTIMATE WIN!!
:lol::facepalm:

:lol: This is the second Ultimate Warrior reference I've heard today. Awesome.

• Members

he was pretty good in his youthfull AJFA days. why does this topic even need attention? im sure there is some other topic we can discuss rather than metallica or lars ulrich. Remember, people get old and they dont seem to be as good as they once were, and lars was doing alright as a drummer in the 80's so give him his credit. Lets bash on AC/DC's drummer or Megadeths drummer.......why metallica? they are like the number one most hated band on HCAF yet everyone forgets what they first created when they had real talent.

• Members
The better question should be.. Why does anyone have this irrational hate for a guy they never met?

Bunch of haters..

FWIW, without Lars there would be no Metallica.. I kinda enjoy the guy and his playing isnt the best, but he definitely did his part to make it BETTER!! Being a musician isnt always about having the best skills. Its about doing what makes great sounding music. James and him obvioulsy work well together. And Lars has always been a big part of the song-writing and arrangements, and without strong songs, a lot of those great riffs would be lost. They may be James' riffs, but they probably came from jams he had with Lars.. He is absolutely integral to the band.. Get off your soapbox and stop hating Metallica.. Its gotten too {censored}ing old at this point.. Like em or dont..

I havent bought a Metallica album since the Black album.. And I despise Load/Re-load/St.Anger.. But I never once started hating on the dudes.. They changed, so be it. In fact about the only dude in the band who didnt change was Lars. He only got richer.
:idea:

yup

:snax:

• Members

At the end of the day, its songs.

Metallica write good songs.

Not everyone wants to listen to Drumz all over every song. I like Mastodon, i think they're awesome, but the drumming just pisses me off sometimes because it can be too distracting and busy..

For me the drummer who has got it about perfect balancing between the song and technical merit is

Justin Foley from Killswitch Engage.

Lars is just a meat and potatoes drummer, no real frills, but works with the songs, doesnt bury them in fills and still manages to come up with memorable parts for the most part.

The song is more important than the individual instrumentalists, and if you think otherwise, you are fail.

• Members

At the end of the day, its songs.

Metallica write good songs.

Not everyone wants to listen to Drumz all over every song. I like Mastodon, i think they're awesome, but the drumming just pisses me off sometimes because it can be too distracting and busy..

For me the drummer who has got it about perfect balancing between the song and technical merit is

Justin Foley from Killswitch Engage.

Lars is just a meat and potatoes drummer, no real frills, but works with the songs, doesnt bury them in fills and still manages to come up with memorable parts for the most part.

The song is more important than the individual instrumentalists, and if you think otherwise, you are fail.

The reverse of buried in fills =/= one beat that's the same for 20 years.

He doesn't play anything that fits the music he just plays the same thing. He manages to make a band that's not particularly dynamic far less dynamic. He manages to take a band that has interesting song structures and stitch it together in a way that makes it sound like nothing behind him is changing. In the past he was mixed low enough and hte music was such that it mattered less-- but now that he's in my face on this new recording, on top of everything, and the music is trying to go one way and the drums are holding it another way....

Lars Ulrich is a drummer who fights the music for the sake of being Lars Ulrich, an already boring proposition.

I think it was best said earlier in this thread-- he's the kind of drummer you would dismiss immediately if he came to try out for your band.

Considering how much I've written in this thread about how I like how ALL the instruments interact to make a good song and to listen to how the parts are weaved together, I think the shot that I'm looking for everyone to be super talented as individuals is pretty uncalled for.

In a 6min 30sec long song (a guess... it seemed pretty long) Lars did not do anything interesting or captivating despite the fact that he was in control of the mix and the most obvious thing happening throughout the entire song. Not only that, but he was distracting, even as I listened for other parts I felt the drums fighting me.

Of course it's all about the songs-- and Lars is making these songs worse with his drumming.

• Members

I never had a problem with his drumming until post black album he has just been awful since then. But 86-88 he was amazing in the context of Metallicas songs, i wouldnt want any other drummer on RTL, MOP, & AJFA...those three records are just so perfect.

Archived