Friday Influences Thread 02.20.09

Stackabones

• Members

What has influenced you in the past -- or in the past week since the last FIT?

While many folks think of Django Reinhardt as the fleet two-fingered gypsy jazz guitarist, many don't realize that he also wrote tunes. His most famous, Nuages, was an instant success when it was released during WWII and has subsequently become a standard in the gypsy jazz and straight jazz repertoires. Lyrics were eventually added, the most popular set being called "The Bluest Kind of Blue" -- Peggy Lee has an outstanding version.

I love the chord progression of Nuages, and it really supports the slinky chromatic melody. In the version linked below, the clarinet carries the melody while Django does some remarkably inventive lines around it.

I was first exposed to this music down in Deep Ellum at Club Dada from a group called Cafe Noir. I can still recall sitting in that club on a foggy Valentine's Day weekday night and hearing them play classic tunes from the manouche jazz repertoire. Eventually I learned more of his tunes, and songs of that hot jazz era are an influence on my writing. I've recently worked up, and am still working on, a chord-melody solo version of Nuages. My main guitar is a Gitane D500, a grande bouche, that has an illustration of Django on the soundhole label inside the guitar.

Nuages, Django Reinhardt

[YOUTUBE]LY2BQk9s11Y[/YOUTUBE]

• Moderators

Though I love Cole Porter, the lyrics of George's brother Ira Gershwin are closer to my heart. Hopelessly outdated but I just love this stuff. As I attempted an update on this style with my "Does the Devil Have His Doubts" work here earlier in the week, I was reminded just how hard writing with this type of tight rhyme scheme can be. To say what you mean while sticking tightly to the rhyme. Ira was king along with Cole. Here's Ira...

Honestly, I thought you wouldn't.

Naturally, you thought you couldn't.

And probably we shouldn't.

But aren't you kind of glad we did?

Actually, it all was blameless.

Nevertheless, they'll call it shameless

So let's keep the lady nameless

But aren't you kind of glad we did?

Socially, I'll be an outcast

Obviously, we dined alone

On my good name there will be doubt cast

With never a sign of any chaperone.

No matter how they may construe it

Whether or not, we have to rue it

Whatever made us do it

Say, aren't you kind of glad we did?

• Members

Lee, why do you think those (or other) lyrics are hopelessly outdated? Except for "rue it" and the mention of a chaperone (though not uncommon for some age groups), I don't hear anything that sounds out of time. There is a subtleness that may be lost on certain folks, but its theme is evergreen.

I know that there are some lyrics from that era that have some references that don't carry forward (some topical, some just having to do with being classically educated), but in general I find that many of the Great American Songbook lyricists were timeless.

btw, I love how Ira cleverly breaks the rhyme scheme in the B section. Such a solid example of AABA songwriting.

• Moderators

When I say "hopeless outdated" it's really to acknowledge that I realize modern lyrics tend to be less concerned with strict rhyme and order. I love it and find that tight adherence to pattern absolutely works in a modern context. But I know a few or perhaps a lot will disagree.

• Members

When I say "hopeless outdated" it's really to acknowledge that I realize modern lyrics tend to be less concerned with strict rhyme and order. I love it and find that tight adherence to pattern absolutely works in a modern context. But I know a few or perhaps a lot will disagree.

I see what you're saying. I always thought that the loosening of meter was a byproduct of free verse and a general lack of knowledge among lyricists. Formal conventions worked yesterday, work today and will work tomorrow imo.

• Members

Great entries.

This week I'll post some Dire Straits. I've enjoyed their stuff for many years, but the last couple years, I've been more and more fascinated with Mark's fingerpicking, tone, and fantastic subtlety. A majorly underrated guitarist IMHO.

There are better recordings of this, and more obvious songs to pick from them, but Six Blade Knife has always been a favorite for it's smoky medium rare flavor.

[YOUTUBE]Y4pioyGIJx8[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

My biggest influence of the last week was someone who is not a songwriter but is now seen as one of the better contemporary interpreters of popular songwriting: Linda Ronstadt.

I'd assembled a big list -- but far from complete -- of some of my favorites from Ronstadt's albums and then mixed in a bunch of country rock and bluegrass folks... but there's so a lot of Ronstadt -- a couple of her Spanish language albums and maybe three of her standards albums... It gives a real range of songwriters, from Jerome Kern to Gene Clark...

• Members

Lately, for about the last year or so I've been HUGELY inspired by Pink Floyd's The Division Bell. (my thread in this forum kind of covers it) That's probably one of my top 3 albums of all time, I just love the feeling it has. I can and do listen to it over and over and over. It's got it all imo.

Can't watch or post any vids at work though, might leave early however and I'll see if I can find something that captures it.

Specifically lately, Claptons "Let It Grow" has been a huge inspiration as well. LOVE that song!

• Members

Great entries.

This week I'll post some Dire Straits. I've enjoyed their stuff for many years, but the last couple years, I've been more and more fascinated with Mark's fingerpicking, tone, and fantastic subtlety. A majorly underrated guitarist IMHO.

+millions. Knopfler is one of the greatest of the greats, IMO. I love his style.

• Members

Since it would have been his birthday today, I'll go with Kurt Cobain. I love the way he was able to add a strong melodic sense to heavier rock material, and how he and Butch Vig managed to combine those two approaches to make something that was greater than the sum of its parts.

[YOUTUBE]mpGN0RWdJ9c[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Wide Mouth Mason has been a huge influence on my songwriting (and guitar playing) since I got into them a few years back. It's funny - they were huge when I was in high school, as two of them graduated from the same school as me, but I couldn't name a song of theirs back then.

Not sure if this is an original blues tune of theirs or not, but parts of it showed up in their last album, so I wouldn't be surprised if it were. I've never been able to get it out of my head.

[YOUTUBE]1oygBEA0tJA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

The string orchestration of Pat Boone's recording of Isham Jones'

"I'll See You In My Dreams" (1961).

Unfortunately, there is no youtube of it available. But it's

one of the greatest Pop vocal string orchestrations I've ever heard.

So I'll post one with a similarly eerie, ethereal sound:

(Played on a 1956 Wurlitzer Jukebox in glorious mono,

complete with vinyl noise).

Tommy Edwards' My Melancholy Baby'. (1959)

9XyzNu5Lp-U

Archived