The Axe-FX sounds like garbage... (clip)

DeadNight Warrior

• Members

Doesn't sound all that scooped?!
:eek:
I had two PEQs ripping out the mids at 750Hz (coz one wouldn't take enough out), plus 400Hz and around 1600Hz, not to mention some low and high freq boosting.

If this isn't midscooping, I don't wanna know what is! I think I'd die on the spot if I heard that!
:eek::cop:

Keep in mind the IIC+ has loads of mids... if I did that EQing to the powerball it would be teh :freak:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The leads sound very scooped... I think the rhythm has a good amount of crunchy mids.
:rawk:

They're the same patch! :mad:

Nah, I get what you mean though. I really should have redialed for the leads to give it a lil more mids I guess, but meh. Laziness is a bitch. :o

When I get back to my Axe, I can give you a bit more of a detailed view on what I did settings wise if you want to have a go at it.

• Members

It's pretty scooped but it works for that tune. The impressive thing is your mixing and mastering skills. Very slick and professional sounding.

To be honest Cliff, I did bugger all on that track. :o I think you're right about it working for that tune though. If I'd used my normal Mark IIC+ or USA Lead 2 patches, which are far more midrangey, it probably would have sounded a bit odd. I might still give it a shot though if I get the time, and put a huge thundering bass underneath it too (would be my first use of the Axe for bass too!). The drums are already sequenced now, so that's a good portion of the required time out of the way already. And the Axe tracks were untouched, no EQ, no comp, nothing added (and in the Axe itself, it was just amp -> cab -> PEQ -> PEQ). No messing about with trying to sort out mic placements, and then trying to track with a painfully loud tube amp in the room or anything... just simple Axe tone straight into the interface via S/PDIF, finished up at about 2am.

Many thanks for the compliments though. :thu:

• Members

Sounds really good, much better than the original (IMO).

Thanks!

I'm finding these "better than the original" comments quite amusing. I never liked the AJFA tone or production, and considering I whipped this up in about two hours, including tone tweaking time and drum sequencing, it just makes me wonder WTF these guys are doing when they spend so long and so much money, only to come out with AJFA/St Anger/DM. :freak:

• Members

Sounds good! What cab IR was it? Cali 4x12? I've gone through the cab sims a bunch of times now, and for some reason the Cali 4x12 is the only one I like for heavy stuff. I remember a few people saying they liked the 4x12 german or something like that, but it was really dark and distant when I tried it...

What pickups in the guitar?

• Members

Sounds good! What cab IR was it? Cali 4x12? I've gone through the cab sims a bunch of times now, and for some reason the Cali 4x12 is the only one I like for heavy stuff. I remember a few people saying they liked the 4x12 german or something like that, but it was really dark and distant when I tried it...

What pickups in the guitar?

Thanks! Yeah, it was the Cali and I think the Brit 4x12 (not 100% on that one). None of the cabs I really like just on their own, but that's kinda the same when I mic a cab up... have to have at least 2 mics on there or I'm not happy. Not a fan of the german 4x12 either, at least not for the tones I've been aiming for. Still have to get around to trying some user cabs.

The 2127X has an Evo7 in the bridge and an Air Norton 7 in the neck, although the Air Norton didn't feature anywhere in that clip.

• Members

I actually like the AJFA tone... (*ducks*) anyway I'm not by any speakers now but I'll definitely give this a listen when I get the chance.

me too.

its just that teh bass track needed to be turned up.

sure the tone was scooped and ate up some bass frequencies, but it wouldnt make it nearly inaudible like it is.

they were just {censored}ing hazing newstead.

:lol:

• Members

me too.

its just that teh bass track needed to be turned up.

sure the tone was scooped and ate up some bass frequencies, but it wouldnt make it nearly inaudible like it is.

they were just {censored}ing hazing newstead.

I read somewhere it was James and Lars each wanting their tracks louder and louder in the mix, until between the two of them they'd just left Newstead for dead in the mix. :lol:

On the rare occasion I bust out AJFA, I almost have a hysterical laughing fit every time I actually hear some bass in there.

Thing is though... you tame the low end a bit to make room for the bass, and then you're left with what... just high mids and highs in the guitar tone? Eww. :o

• Members

I read somewhere it was James and Lars each wanting their tracks louder and louder in the mix, until between the two of them they'd just left Newstead for dead in the mix.

On the rare occasion I bust out AJFA, I almost have a hysterical laughing fit every time I actually hear some bass in there.

Thing is though... you tame the low end a bit to make room for the bass, and then you're left with what... just high mids and highs in the guitar tone? Eww.
:o

i bet that story is more true than not.

forreal.

i think a little bass in the guitar tracks can give the song balls.

no, you shouldnt crank the {censored} out of the bass.

ive {censored}ed with masters before, and id isolate the guitars, and i found with tracks that i though felt big and large, usually had more bass in the guitar tracks.

sad but true is a good example of that.

that is probably the biggest {censored}ing tone i have ever heard.

i honestly dont know why the {censored} it sounds so goddamn giant.

• Members

I read somewhere it was James and Lars each wanting their tracks louder and louder in the mix, until between the two of them they'd just left Newstead for dead in the mix.

Thing is though... you tame the low end a bit to make room for the bass, and then you're left with what... just high mids and highs in the guitar tone? Eww.

Bwahaha me too :lol: i really don't like the AJFA tone but your clip sounds :love: congrats! :thu:

AAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGGGHHHH need to find something cheap to download the new firmware, i need money :cry:

• Members

Sounds great! I love that scooped out tone.

It helps that your playing is spot on too... really tight.

It helps that it's probably one of the easiest Metallica songs to play. :lol: Let's see how tight I can keep it doing 4 rhythm tracks on a song like Battery. :facepalm:

That said, I did make some {censored} ups doing it. At 1am, after a night of blasting monitors in my face while mucking around with the Axe, I was feeling pretty worn out half way through doing this. I was making the stupidist mistakes trying to play this, just coz my brain was basically switching off in the middle of riffs. :o

Thanks for all the positive comments people! I'm glad no one's pointed out any riffing mistakes... I guess my riff memory is far better than my everyday memory. :D

• Members

I like the rhythm, but the lead kind of sounds like ass to me.

The whole thing sounds like ass to me. :lol:

The leads were just the same patch as the rhythms. Couldn't be arsed dialing in a new tone, and I figured the leads on AJFA sounded thin and ass-like to me anyway. A bit more midrange and it would have sounded thicker definitely. My normal patches that have way more mids sound huge and thick.

So yes I agree... ass-tone indeed. :o

• Members

Bwahaha me too
i really don't like the AJFA tone but your clip sounds
:love:
congrats!
:thu:

AAAAAAAAAARRRGGGGGGGHHHH need to find something cheap to download the new firmware, i need money
:cry:

Scan the forum sticky about interfaces. I'm sure there's a cheap single i/o MIDI -> USB unit in there somewhere that has worked great for people. I've got the lil Uno, but read all kinds of problems about it so I didn't even bother trying (I've had non-Axe problems with it too). Cheap and rubbish. So for the firmware update, I just ran the MIDI through my Firepod and it worked no problems. :thu:

• Members

sue me...I think AJFA tone sounds better than this...

not even close to being blown away by the Axe IIc+ clips so far.

I'd love to hear some clips of the other new models I keep hearing about...VHT...etc.

You'll be hearing from my lawyers, bastard! :mad:

Out of curiosity, what is it that makes you prefer the AJFA tone over this one? Personally I think they're both bollocks, but I think I've expressed that enough in this thread and several others already (oops, just did it again :cop:).

• Members

Haha maybe so. But man...I've been concentrating on tweaking R2 on the Mark IV and HOLY {censored} it is my favorite channel now. This thing has some insanely grindy/huge/dynamic tones in it. I'm really happy with my rig right now. The thing I really like about the AFX is all the built in high quality effects.

Lately my lead tone has been a BK Tube Driver into Rhy 2 and it is without a doubt the best lead tone I've ever had.

Archived