The Axe-FX sounds like garbage... (clip)

DeadNight Warrior

• Members

...when you dial it in to sound like Metallica's AJFA album. :cop:

Posted this in Thinkpad's thread, but I figured I'd give it a thread of its own too.

Copied from other thread:

Ok well, I listened to the MP3 again when I got into work, and the bass isn't as excessive as I thought last night. The kick drum is still a bit ridiculous, and if I could be {censored}ed I would probably have put a multiband compressor on the rhythm tracks to keep the low end under control (and possibly some of the highs... in the last section there's some irritating string sliding noise).

Anyway, I can't be {censored}ed fixing it now, so here it is! To Live is To Die, or bits of it anyway.

All guitars are the same Mark IIC+ patch. I only spent about 10-15 minutes dialing it, and most of that time was really me sitting around noodling and laughing my arse off at how ridiculously mid-scooped it is. Probably could have gotten a bit closer, but I'm really not that interested in doing so. The leads were all the same patch too; couldn't be arsed. Rhythms are 2 tracks each side (full L/R, and L/R80), mixing done was very minimal, no post processing on the guitars at all. In true AJFA-style, everything sounds dry as {censored} and there's no bass guitar either! :lol: Well ok, there's a hint of some bass in the real thing, but I really couldn't be {censored}ed dialing in a bass sound and recording all the bass parts, only to then mix it way down low where you can barely even hear it.

Disclaimer: I only listened to bits of the song briefly to dial the tone. Otherwise I haven't heard the song in ages, so I'm just going from memory. Bits might be wrong. I'm well aware the arrangement isn't right, but I did that deliberately to just rip through a few of the sections. Also, my playing is {censored}. :lol:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Could be the mic placement, settings, whatever. It sounds better then you describe though

No, I just hate that ridiculous mid-scooped sound that AJFA had. I couldn't believe how much I had to rip out to get into that territory. I had my first PEQ bottomed out around the 750hz mark, and had to add another PEQ to scoop out even more there. Then some at 400Hz, some more around 1600Hz.

No doubt could have made it closer to the guitar tone on the CD, but why would I? I freakin' hate that sound. :lol:

I'll also make a note, it's quite hard to track accurately when you're pissing yourself laughing at your tone. :cop:

• Members

At least it sounds better than Death Magnetic.

You just had to go there... :o

Actually, I was considering re-recording All Nightmare Long from scratch. The only thing is that I wish I could get a hold of James' vocal tracks. Those, with a bit of tweaking and some decent processing I think would work. Maybe Trujillo's bass track would work, and I've already got that from the GH thing... I dunno. The difficulty would be in the fact that I'm not so sure it was done to a click, so fitting the real tracks in might be a tad tricky. :(

• Members

You just had to go there...
:o

Actually, I was considering re-recording All Nightmare Long from scratch. The only thing is that I wish I could get a hold of James' vocal tracks. Those, with a bit of tweaking and some decent processing I think would work. Maybe Trujillo's bass track would work, and I've already got that from the GH thing... I dunno. The difficulty would be in the fact that I'm not so sure it was done to a click, so fitting the real tracks in might be a tad tricky.
:(

It was probably done to a click. They've done all of their stuff to a click from RtL onwards as I understand it, or at least from MoP on.

• Members

You just had to go there...
:o

Actually, I was considering re-recording All Nightmare Long from scratch. The only thing is that I wish I could get a hold of James' vocal tracks. Those, with a bit of tweaking and some decent processing I think would work. Maybe Trujillo's bass track would work, and I've already got that from the GH thing... I dunno. The difficulty would be in the fact that I'm not so sure it was done to a click, so fitting the real tracks in might be a tad tricky.
:(

:lol: Yes, I did have to go there. But tbh, it's not that bad. Not my kind of toanz, but it's not garbage, that's for sure.

• Members

dude this clip is {censored}ing great!!!

Thanks!

I wanted to do the clean part with the solo too, but my fingerpicking has gone to {censored} since I cut my nails, and b) I couldn't be {censored}ed.

After playing through that tone for a couple of hours though while I sequenced the drums and tracked the guitars, my normal guitar tone makes me sound like Brian May playing through a megaphone or something. Damn you mid-scooping! :mad:

• Members

Thanks!

I wanted to do the clean part with the solo too, but my fingerpicking has gone to {censored} since I cut my nails, and b) I couldn't be {censored}ed.

After playing through that tone for a couple of hours though while I sequenced the drums and tracked the guitars, my normal guitar tone makes me sound like Brian May playing through a megaphone or something. Damn you mid-scooping!
:mad:

Nice. I'll probably record that part then :cool: one of my favorite riffs ever!!

• Members

It was probably done to a click. They've done all of their stuff to a click from RtL onwards as I understand it, or at least from MoP on.

I dunno man. I wanted to sync up my tempo track to the CD rip of TLITD I had to sequence the drums. Makes it easy for me... just hit play, and as the track plays you just click in where the kick drums and snares 'n' {censored} fall as you hear them.

But I couldn't get it to sync. It'd start off fine, then fall behind, then catch up a bit, etc. etc. I was getting into decimal places to try nail the tempo, but it just wasn't happening. IMO, either they didn't use a click for it, or they listened to Lars instead of the click. :cop: Maybe I'm just 'tarded though.

• Members

That is pretty close to the original just more mids and less clang.

I had a feeling there were more mids in my sound, but it got to the point where I felt like if I just shouldn't scoop out any more. As if, surely the guitars on the CD aren't really that scooped and I'm just starting to imagine it or something. :o

Anyways, I'm sure it could be done, but yeah, I didn't spend long tweaking at all.

• Members

I don't have the original track to compare, but this sounds pretty much identical if memory serves me right. I have no doubts in the AxeFX's ability to absolutely duplicate tube tone to record. What I'm always left wondering about is how it does live. I want to see some quality videos of it in action live. Doing some heavy, some mid gain and some clean. That said, I love my Mark IV more and more every day and it's 3 tones are enough for me. I think it's just my curiosity at this point, not that I am seriously considering buying one anymore.

• Members

:idk:
that's just what I heard
in an interview with Lars

Yeah, there you go. :cop:

DM I'm not sure about. Click or no click, Lars' playing is just so horrible it's impossible to tell. I knew it was bad, but getting a hold of the GH files and being able to hear the drums largely on their own... holy {censored} it's bad!

Unfortunately I quite like some of the songs, ANL in particular, hence why I wanted to record it. I gather it's in drop D though... I've been playing it on the RG2127X capo'd at the 3rd fret. :o

• Members

I don't have the original track to compare, but this sounds pretty much identical if memory serves me right. I have no doubts in the AxeFX's ability to absolutely duplicate tube tone to record. What I'm always left wondering about is how it does live. I want to see some quality videos of it in action live.

Go see Meshuggah/Cynic :thu:

• Members

What guitar/pups/etc (for when I actually listen to it
:p
)?

RG2127X w/Evo and Air Norton (although the AN makes no appearance in this clip anyway). Straight into the Axe, drive block, cab block (I think the Cali and 4x12 Brit from memory), two PEQs scooping the {censored} out of it all, and there's a delay in parallel somewhere that's linked to a pitch modifier but it's quite low in the mix. It was in my Mark IIC+ patch I started from, and couldn't be {censored}ed turning it off. :o

That's the other thing of course... I haven't got an Explorer with EMG 81s in it, I've got a 7-string Ibanez w/trem and passive Dimarzios. Pretty different starting place, so I wasn't going to waste too much time trying to nail the sound.

Archived