The Axe-FX sounds like garbage... (clip)

DeadNight Warrior

• Members

You'll be hearing from my lawyers, bastard!
:mad:

:o

Out of curiosity, what is it that makes you prefer the AJFA tone over this one? Personally I think they're both bollocks, but I think I've expressed that enough in this thread and several others already (oops, just did it again
:cop:
).

Because I listened to AJFA and compared it to this clip and it just plain has more balls and just plain sounds better. Don't be offended...they had a lot more studio help. I can't do the million-adjective thing describing guitar tone (at least not metal tones which are usually cut and dry sounds great or sounds crap). Either I like it immediately or I don't and I don't spend a lot of time analyzing it.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Because I listened to AJFA and compared it to this clip and it just plain has more balls and just plain sounds better. Don't be offended...they had a lot more studio help. I can't do the million-adjective thing describing guitar tone (at least not metal tones which are usually cut and dry sounds great or sounds crap). Either I like it immediately or I don't and I don't spend a lot of time analyzing it.

Nah dude, I'm not offended or anything, just curious. Like I've said, the clip for me was pretty much just a laugh. Couple of hours work, mostly in sequencing and piss farting about in between, next to zero mixing, bugger all tone dialing time. And I laughed my nut off for most of the tracking at a) how ridiculously scooped it sounded to me, and b) how useless my playing was as my brain randomly switched on and off. :o

Was just wondering if it was something simple like "the highs sound nastier in your clip" or whatever. I think probably the mids and high mids are a bit off in my tone compared to the original, and the low freqs could do with some multiband comp I think to keep them in check. Either way, I'm not really bothered about it. Just was curious; I'm not gonna rush home from work and retweak for a 2nd recording. :thu:

• Members

sue me...I think AJFA tone sounds better than this...

not even close to being blown away by the Axe IIc+ clips so far.

I'd love to hear some clips of the other new models I keep hearing about...VHT...etc.

The IIc+ clips I've heard so far have been good. But, IMO, most of them seem to be missing out on the new power-amp mojo. Which, for me, is the most exciting thing about the latest update.

I hadn't really goofed with the IIc+ sims until just now, sitting down to reply to your post. And cranking the 'master' on the sim, and backing off the drive, really makes this thing sing. But it's seeming to do that with every sim I try. The Egnater sim is truly kickass. Something very special and rich about that one. And, with all the hububb about the new models, its easy to forget about the old ones. I've been having a blast with the 'class A' sim since the new update. Screwing around with the (new) bias control, and swapping tonestack-types, you can come up with so much amazing stuff.

At first, I was kinda squirelly about V7. But now that I'm starting to get my head around it, it's really making me smile...all over again.

It's always sounded killer through a tube-power-amp and a pair of 4x12s. Now the direct sound is really going gold. It's always done a great job, but it's getting stupid good.

• Members

The IIc+ clips I've heard so far have been good. But, IMO, most of them seem to be missing out on the new power-amp mojo. Which, for me, is the most exciting thing about the latest update.

I hadn't really goofed with the IIc+ sims until just now, sitting down to reply to your post. And cranking the 'master' on the sim, and backing off the drive, really makes this thing sing. But it's seeming to do that with every sim I try. The Egnater sim is truly kickass. Something very special and rich about that one. And, with all the hububb about the new models, its easy to forget about the old ones. I've been having a blast with the 'class A' sim since the new update. Screwing around with the (new) bias control, and swapping tonestack-types, you can come up with so much amazing stuff.

At first, I was kinda squirelly about V7. But now that I'm starting to get my head around it, it's really making me smile...all over again.

It's always sounded killer through a tube-power-amp and a pair of 4x12s. Now the direct sound is really going gold. It's always done a great job, but it's getting stupid good.

I agree... I haven't done that much playing around with the power amp (haven't touched the bias yet) but playing it, it just feels so much more ALIVE.... it's ridiculous. The Soldano sounds aggressive as {censored}, the Dr. Z has an awesome vintage tone which is great for EVH (if I new any VH songs :lol:)... gat damn. I'm loving this thing like never before :love:

• Members

Yeah, I've hardly touched the new poweramp parameters, although the sound on its own has definitely improved. Generally I'm running the master pretty high even on high gain models. Just sounds better to me that way, and then I bring the preamp drive down a bit to compensate. Tonestack swapping is a mind{censored}. Did it once and got a sweet result, but I'm keeping out of it for now until I get more of a grasp on everything else. :o

• Members

Yeah, I've hardly touched the new poweramp parameters, although the sound on its own has definitely improved. Generally I'm running the master pretty high even on high gain models. Just sounds better to me that way, and then I bring the preamp drive down a bit to compensate. Tonestack swapping is a mind{censored}. Did it once and got a sweet result, but I'm keeping out of it for now until I get more of a grasp on everything else.
:o

Ha, I hear ya. There's a LOT of stuff to deal with, that's true.

'Tonestack' is one of the first things I fool with when looking for new sounds. Before EQ, before I even touch the tone knobs, I spin through the tonestack types to see if anything grabs me. The HAD1 model with Recto-ORG TS is a creamy HOOT to play with.

Something I JUST discovered since V7 is the cool interaction between sag and damp. Lots more madness in those controls once you start zeroing in on a sound.

Also, I find myself turning off all the DRIVE blocks I had in my presets. I was using them like everyone else, to boost, and tighten the low end in the gainy sounds. But, just like in real life (har!) that comes at the cost of a raspy-ness and diminished volume-knob response. V7 seems tighter overall, and I'm getting harmonic feedback through my studio monitors now!

I may have missed the boat on previous versions, but the new master section really BEEFS up the tone like never before. In a way, it reminds me of my ADA MP-1, in the sense that you had control over both gain stages independently. The first one (volume1) I kept lower, because it was bright and grainy...vol2 was way fatter and I used that to get meaty. V7 is doing something very similar. I dunno. I'm digging it.

Archived