Suggest or even sell me an amp

guitarbilly74

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, I plan on gettin a mesa studio pre with a marshall power amp

Just so you know, those Marshall power amps are BRUTALLY heavy.

I carried my 9100/MP-1 setup to practice exactly ONE time before I put the Marshall up for sale.

The rack, preamp, power conditioner, and power amp was close to 90lbs.

• Members

I carried my 9100/MP-1 setup to practice exactly ONE time before I put the Marshall up for sale.

Say like I hooked up a peavey power amp to the mesa pre, would it make that much of a difference. I havnt played either.

• Members

Hmmm, I would say you definately want the Triple XXX on your try out list but be aware the stock valves make it sound {censored}! You need to swap these out to get the best out of it and tone down the fiziness.
The TSL100 is also a good candidate based on your description, but same rule applies.

What didn't you like about the 6505+ and go from there?

• Members

This was very heavy IMGP1910small.jpg

• Members

hey billy-

the .50 cals a good amp-- but it's pretty different from a mark 3... i had one for 15 years-- but mine was an el84 version. i never got along with the gain section on mine-- but i never used that much gain! there's a fairly common mod that'd push it back to be almost 'mid-gain'-- and i did a bit of docmenting on it (i can even send y' the mesa 'mod sheet' if y' want- pm if you need it) around here.

cleans on 'em are great, but the dirt can be a bit overwhelming-- and if you're not running high gain all the time.. as a two channel... it can be a fussy bitch. i don't... so i just used it as a great squeaky clean platform for a gain pedal-- and it was pert near bombproof. definitely an amp that loves t75s, and its no slouch in the volume department...

$500 is a bit much for one though.. $600 is just rediculous. i sold mine off for $450, and replaced it with a studio .22, cause it was just too damn loud for my current use.

but be aware-- the eq on 'em is WAY different than the marks. if y' get one-- give a holler, and i'll give y' what i got on dialing the damn things in, 'cause it's a little wierd... but they're worth the effort for sure.. i REALLY loved my 84 version of the .50, and was sad to let it go!!

Archived