• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SM57 or guitar straight into this:

CIMG9724.jpg

Then this

CIMG9725.jpg

I REALLY want to get some monitors but I dont know what I want. I dont want ones that are ultra flat and unforgiving, because I also use this computer for listening to my music, gaming and watching films. I just want something a bit more accurate and higher quality/nicer to listen to than computer speakers. I have some Grado SR80 headphones and love how they sound - quite natural and pleasant, without being unforgiving and making everything sound like {censored}, so I kinda want them in monitor form.

Suggestions?

• Members

How are you digging logic?

Its great, ive had a few problems with it though. Once i had an entire song recorded, and i had done some punch ins, and i saved it, when i opened it, all the punches had been added on to the end of the section i had punched over and were unfixable. The other is for some reason i cant do crossfades, it wont let me!!! I have the feeling that will be fixed when they do the next update though. Other than that its great. Very easy to use!

• Members
DSCN2161.jpg

DSCN2162.jpg

My {censored}:

Fractal Snax FX for teh recording

MW-1 for DI / remaping

Fireface

Lavry AD/DA

Adam A7

Primacoustic room treatment

Software:

Cubase

Wavelab

SSL Duende pluginz

UAD pluginz

Superior 2.0 and Slate for drumz

Clip:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889021&songID=7385371

Blog:
www.brokebands.com

i came

what maps do you use when you reamp?

i can has a new album:confused:

• Moderators
how's the kb37 tone port? i just ordered the ux1 and planned on upgrading to the kb37 later on.

I really love the Kb-37, awesome for a lot of MIDI stuff as well. I also bought the gearbox plug in and I have amplitube 2 and the Hendrix collection. Needless to say, unless I am making a clip for the HCAF, I just go straight in and reamp as needed. :)

• Members

Cool, what KSM are you looking at?

I've been reading up on the 27,32 & 44 . I'll be doing acoustic guitar & vocals(male rock) mainly with it .

The 27 is pretty cheap right now online and I really don't have the extra $ to buy a new 44 . I keep thinking the 44 will be the best though , but I know thats in my head ..lol

JB

• Members

Cool ! Thanks for some feedback on the 27 . Its really affordable right now .

I'm a big fan of the KSM27 I have. It's my go-to utility mic. It gets regular use on electric and acoustic guitars, bass, vocals and percussion. When I've used it on a proper drum kit, it rocks there too. It's not particularly exciting character-wise, but it doesn't suffer from Inexpensive Condenser Brightness and tends to sound like what you put it in front of.
:thu:

• Members
i came

what maps do you use when you reamp?

i can has a new album:confused:

We'll use my ENGL SE, Savage, and James' Uber and Recto, and see how the Snax-FX fares in the mix with those as well. Album towards the end of '09. :thu:

• Members

I've been reading up on the 27,32 & 44 . I'll be doing acoustic guitar & vocals(male rock) mainly with it .

The 27 is pretty cheap right now online and I really don't have the extra $ to buy a new 44 . I keep thinking the 44 will be the best though , but I know thats in my head ..lol

JB

All the KSMs are good mics. I find they have a bit of color to them, which can work well, especially for acoustic and vocals. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. FWIW, I went with AT4040s for my first LDCs and I love them. They can't hang with the AKG414, but for the $$ they are amazing mics and I still use them very often.

• Members
All the KSMs are good mics. I find they have a bit of color to them, which can work well, especially for acoustic and vocals. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. FWIW, I went with AT4040s for my first LDCs and I love them. They can't hang with the AKG414, but for the $$ they are amazing mics and I still use them very often.

hey wes--

i've only got experience with 4033's-- but do you reckon the rest of the at's (like 4040's) have that same top end sheen to 'em?

i never really liked the 4033 much 'cause it was hot.. although i own rode nt1's.. which have the same propensity... :facepalm:..

i'd love to swap my nt1's out for something softer-- the shures or the 4040's a little cooler up top and a little less hypey?

part of me just thinks i oughta get a pair of fathead 2's and dispense of the LDCs altogether...

• Members

Thanks !
hmmm maybe I should look into the AT4040 . They are in my price range too . Its so hard to make a decision on something you've never heard , so I appreciate the info
JB

• Members

Thanks !

hmmm maybe I should look into the AT4040 . They are in my price range too . Its so hard to make a decision on something you've never heard , so I appreciate the info

JB

what about the akg 214-- do you need multipattern? same mic.. just a cardioid...

• Members

what about the akg 214-- do you need multipattern? same mic.. just a cardioid...

I could get away without a multipattern . The 214 looks nice , its $599 .

Thats about at my limit right now because I need a couple other things ..

Some good choices out there .

Here's a few shots of mine:

l_09385518211ee938f3620be7ffe402a0.jpg

l_ec24b379404e77bccf92a028233d9248.jpg

l_3bcaecd6a37a3809b379184c84da8f64.jpg

l_ac9e471c325d3d47281435b8dd91bd72.jpg

It's in a converted 1,200 sq ft. concrete block barn at the rear of my home's 1/3 acre, multi-zoned lot. Pro Tools HD2 Accel, Neve, Vintech, API, Urei, ADAM, Yamaha, Kurzweil, Moog, FMR, Lexicon, Ensoniq, Soundelux, RCA, AKG, etc. etc.

• Members
hey wes--

i've only got experience with 4033's-- but do you reckon the rest of the at's (like 4040's) have that same top end sheen to 'em?

i never really liked the 4033 much 'cause it was hot.. although i own rode nt1's.. which have the same propensity...
:facepalm:

i'd love to swap my nt1's out for something softer-- the shures or the 4040's a little cooler up top and a little less hypey?

part of me just thinks i oughta get a pair of fathead 2's and dispense of the LDCs altogether...

I've never used any ATs other than the 4040s that I have. I'm definitely not a fan of the hyped, brittle high end that cheaper mics use to sound detailed and open. I've not had this problem with the 4040s at all. They are a very naturally detailed mic (esp. for $299) and I don't find them to be hyped at all. I bought them for their transparency since I planned on using them on a good number of sources in the same mix. I find that if I try to do this with a very colored mic, it can get congested and be too much.

The Shures I've used were KSM32s I believe. I think that the ATs are more transparent than the Shures (not that they sound better, they just have less color). So if you want some color, the Shures are great. I was looking for transparency so I went with the AT4040s. But as always, YMMV. :thu:

• Members
Thanks !

JB

It's definitely tough to decide. The only solution I know of is to just get one of everything. :cry:

• Members

It's in a converted 1,200 sq ft. concrete block barn at the rear of my home's 1/3 acre, multi-zoned lot. Pro Tools HD2 Accel, Neve, Vintech, API, Urei, ADAM, Yamaha, Kurzweil, Moog, FMR, Lexicon, Ensoniq, Soundelux, RCA, AKG, etc. etc.

Well done Phil, love the facility! I'm hoping to do some sort of outbuilding thing eventually.

:love::love::love::love::love:

How do you like those space couplers?

Well done Phil, love the facility! I'm hoping to do some sort of outbuilding thing eventually.

:love:

How do you like those space couplers?

Thank you. :o We used to be in a commercial building, but when our lease expired eleven years ago and the building owner decided to not renew (he put a gym into the location we used to be in), we decided to move someplace where I didn't have to drive into work every day, and where they couldn't kick us out or raise our lease payments every few years. Trust me - the only thing worse than having to build a studio and spend a lot of money doing so, is having to move a studio a few years later and spend even more money in the process. :lol:

I really like both the Space Arrays and Space Couplers. They help to keep things from being too dead, and offer just the right amount of controlled diffusion in there. In addition to the foam and fiberglass you can see in the pics, there's massive bass trapping built into the back wall, front walls and ceiling. It's a really balanced sounding control room, which is what I prefer. Toss in those ADAM S3A's and A7's, and it's my dream monitoring environment. :love:

• Members
DSCN2161.jpg

DSCN2162.jpg

My {censored}:

Fractal Snax FX for teh recording

MW-1 for DI / remaping

Fireface

Lavry AD/DA

Adam A7

Primacoustic room treatment

Software:

Cubase

Wavelab

SSL Duende pluginz

UAD pluginz

Superior 2.0 and Slate for drumz

Clip:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889021&songID=7385371

Blog:
www.brokebands.com

Nice!

How do you like the fireface? I'm thinking of picking one up to use as a preamp/AD/DA via lightpipe to my digi 002.

-W

• Members
Thank you.
:o
We used to be in a commercial building, but when our lease expired eleven years ago and the building owner decided to not renew (he put a gym into the location we used to be in), we decided to move someplace where I didn't have to drive into work every day, and where they couldn't kick us out or raise our lease payments every few years. Trust me - the only thing worse than having to build a studio and spend a lot of money doing so, is having to move a studio a few years later and spend even more money in the process.
:lol:

I really like both the Space Arrays and Space Couplers. They help to keep things from being too dead, and offer just the right amount of controlled diffusion in there. In addition to the foam and fiberglass you can see in the pics, there's massive bass trapping built into the back wall, front walls and ceiling. It's a really balanced sounding control room, which is what I prefer. Toss in those ADAM S3A's and A7's, and it's my dream monitoring environment.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Great stuff!

• Members

Nice!

How do you like the fireface? I'm thinking of picking one up to use as a preamp/AD/DA via lightpipe to my digi 002.

-W

I only use it as an interface so I can't be much help, but it's been great for that. Very solid drivers and the mixer software is sweet.

Archived