Show Your Recording Setup - Mics, Recording Interfaces, DAW's, Tell All

firejack018

• Members

hell.. i still use one of those on occasion!

my fave was by far the 424mk2! i still miss that machine... but i sold it to get my fostex adat..

i think i'll keep the focusrite and reaper though!
:lol:

Yeah those things are great. I still have my first one, an old 414MkII. I was still using it often up until fairly recently, as a mixer to turn my four drum mics into one stereo signal for my old PC setup.

My current setup is pretty darn lo-fi, so i won't even bother with pictures. But it is just three Shure PG58s(!) and a Radioshack PZM(!!), into an Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire, into a really ancient Dell laptop that i got for free, into Reaper, with additional editing stuff done in an older copy of Sound Forge. My current "monitor" setup is about half of a Logitech 5.1 system. It is a little bass-heavy maybe, but not nearly as bad as some of the other things i have used for monitoring!

Amp and effects-wise, i am approaching my goal of 100% homebrew, at about 75-80% DIYed now i think. Next up are probably some nice DIYed mic pres. And i need a whole pile of better mics and some good headphones as well. Too broke this month. :facepalm:

-chris

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nope, I've tried recording in both mono and stereo and the end result is the same.

This may be the problem.

I tried every possible config option to no avail, but maybe I missed something.

Next time I record I'll muck around with it some more.

Like you said, it doesn't matter, as the method you use proves to get good results, the clip sounds stellar.

But, as such, if the need would ever arise where this problem would have to be sussed out, it's to the benefit of your capabilities to figure it out. The clips sound too good to not know!

• Members

I don't have any recent pics of my setup, but here's what I use:

Core 2 Duo PC (T5200)

Vista 32 bit

4GB RAM (3GB seen)

TI chipset FW card

M Audio Profire 2626

TC Finalizer

Bunch of plugs (Waves, SSL, the usual)

Bunch of mics (again, the usual suspects)

Alesis M1 MkII Monitors

Behringer Truth monitors (GREAT reference monitors)

Bowers and Wilkins 802's for mastering/reference (currently serving as L/R mains on my home theater, though)

My amps and cabs are listed in my sig for my personal stuff. My band clips were recorded/mixed/mastered by me, so you can see our link in my sig as well.

Most of my projects are mix/masters for other bands with occasional "on location" tracking. I don't have a proper tracking room at home to bring bands in, although I do track my band here (except drums which I do at a facility I have access to).

Here's a song from the most recent full album project I just finished for a band. Tracked live (vocals in iso, though) all the instruments in one room:

http://geetarguy.tripod.com/In_the_Blink_of_an_Eye.mp3

• Members

Yeah those things are great. I still have my first one, an old 414MkII. I was still using it often up until fairly recently, as a mixer to turn my four drum mics into one stereo signal for my old PC setup.

My current setup is pretty darn lo-fi, so i won't even bother with pictures. But it is just three Shure PG58s(!) and a Radioshack PZM(!!), into an Alesis Multimix 8 Firewire, into a really ancient Dell laptop that i got for free, into Reaper, with additional editing stuff done in an older copy of Sound Forge. My current "monitor" setup is about half of a Logitech 5.1 system. It is a little bass-heavy maybe, but not nearly as bad as some of the other things i have used for monitoring!

Amp and effects-wise, i am approaching my goal of 100% homebrew, at about 75-80% DIYed now i think. Next up are probably some nice DIYed mic pres. And i need a whole pile of better mics and some good headphones as well. Too broke this month.
:facepalm:

-chris

yer drum micing stuff is only 58's? wow man-- that's pretty great for the clips i've heard!

hey-- pm me your address and i'll send you my spare AT headphones-- i just bought a set of $29 sennheisers, and i actually LIKE 'em! hd201's.. totally great for the scratch, comfortable, and CHEAP! i.e. the perfect studio tracking cans!

• Members

i've been looking at grabbing one of those digital mpa pre's for a while now, i've heard good things about them

altho i'm kinda wondering what they changed on the new mpa II that's out now, and if that means the originals will go down in price

looks like that they added that mid side matrix button in the digital stuff. Not sure what it does but all I use is the analog functions of mine.

I don't see anything different besides that.

• Members

Mine is pretty straight forward. I use EZ-Drummer for the drums, Traction 2 (I HATE tracktion 3) for my DAW and my dongle is the Line 6 KB37 Tone port. M-audio powered monitors. When I need to mic, I have a cheap condenser mic for vocals and accoustic and an SM-57 for micing an amp.

DSC00273.jpg

Can you PM me EZ-Drummer????

• Members

What did the AT7's in the MPA accomplish? I've got a few NOS 5751's laying around I can toss in but I'm curious what the lower gain does for the sound

YMMV as I haven't tried it with a nice AX, and you have Mullards in yours. I'd describe the current sound of the pre as clean and present with an upper midrange peak and clarity in the lower mids. It's not bright or modern sounding though; it has a very "vintage" narrower-bandwidth feel to it than the Focusrite's pres. It sits vocals and guitars nicely in a mix. I run it at full voltage to the tubes, for whatever that's worth.

• Members

yer drum micing stuff is only 58's? wow man-- that's pretty great for the clips i've heard!

I was surpised actually that it worked reasonably o.k.. And they are the super-cheap PG58s, not the SMs! I use a pair for the overheads(!) and one for the bottom snare. I guess a lot of it is just being familiar with how the sounds are coming across(i.e. from recording a lot) and being able to "play around" the relatively severe micing limitations. I could really use a real bass drum mic though. The PZM is o.k., but i could definitely see getting more punch out of a better-suited bassdrum-specific mic.

As for your headphones thanks very much sir, but i should be able to work something out for myself soon. If my broke ass continues to run into problems though, i will take you up on it and PM you the pertinent infos. Ideally i would like to solve my own problems though! It is a type of crazy i have i guess. :idk::facepalm:

-chris

• Members

I guess a lot of it is just being familiar with how the sounds are coming across(i.e. from recording a lot) and being able to "play around" the relatively severe micing limitations.

Knowing how to use the gear you have > just having gear. :thu:

• Moderators

hey noob, dont ask for pirated {censored} in public here:idea:

I dunno if I would be as harsh as my friend Mr. Naked, but yes, discussion of that kind of thing in public is a quick trip to ban-ville. Of course, I cannot read your PMs. Just sayin'. :cool:

• Members

I was surpised actually that it worked reasonably o.k.. And they are the super-cheap
PG
58s, not the SMs! I use a pair for the overheads(!) and one for the bottom snare. I guess a lot of it is just being familiar with how the sounds are coming across(i.e. from recording a lot) and being able to "play around" the relatively severe micing limitations. I
could
really use a real bass drum mic though. The PZM is o.k., but i could definitely see getting more punch out of a better-suited bassdrum-specific mic.

As for your headphones thanks very much sir, but i should be able to work something out for myself soon. If my broke ass continues to run into problems though, i will take you up on it and PM you the pertinent infos. Ideally i would like to solve my own problems though! It is a type of crazy i have i guess.
:idk::facepalm:

-chris

no worries-- offer stands, and glad to send 'em if y' need, and be glad to loan 'em short term too!

• Members

no worries-- offer stands, and glad to send 'em if y' need, and be glad to loan 'em short term too!

That is part of it too. After i used them for playing the drums, you most likely would not want them back! :D

Many thanks for the offer though, i certainly appreciate it! :thu:

-chris

• Moderators

LOL i just noticed that it was you he asked

haha:p

yeah I get the little thrills where I can. :p Besides, I actually paid for mine (hey, it happens!), so I would have no idea how to help him out, at least on this piece of software. :D

• Members

Mine is pretty straight forward. I use EZ-Drummer for the drums, Traction 2 (I HATE tracktion 3) for my DAW and my dongle is the Line 6 KB37 Tone port. M-audio powered monitors. When I need to mic, I have a cheap condenser mic for vocals and accoustic and an SM-57 for micing an amp.

DSC00273.jpg

how's the kb37 tone port? i just ordered the ux1 and planned on upgrading to the kb37 later on.

Archived