ok, what do we know about Accept's guitar tone?

JimAnsell

• Members

Seriously, take a Les Paul, a Tubescreamer or similar, a JCM800 or DSL (or even Plexi if you crank it enough), crank the mids, and if you don't get the Accept tone... well maybe there is simply no tone in your fingers.

That might get you 80% of the way there, but it still doesn't sound very close to the actual Accept tone that Wolf gets. You just described the setup LOTS of people use, and they don't sound like Accept, either.

• Members

That power section is unbelievable.

amp.jpg

He's let me play it (I played it with Wolf's old Hamer V and my humbucker'd strat) and I've never heard an amp that sounds "just" like it. Is it the best tone I've ever heard in my life? Not for me at least, but that's not my point. The tone is *very* distinctive, and it came right from the amp, not massive studio manipulation. I played it with my strat (Tone Zone in the bridge) and it still sounded close, but the guitar did make a noticable difference as you would suspect, but I'd say the overall tone is 80% amp, 20% guitar.

Wow, looking back- I must have played BTTW about 9 times on that setup! :lol:

• Members

I just love the Accept love on this board. Back when they came out in the 80s, believe it or not, they were considered TOO heavy for mainstream, which is why they had only limited success (by today's standards, they are tame). Accept brought awesome ballsy tunes, but the Scorps wrote catchier heavy melodies, which is why they won the Kraut Band war in the USA and the World.

• Members

Man I was a big Wolf Hoffman fan back in the day. I swear he always used that white strat on the records. Obviously it didn't have a standard single coil in the bridge.Trying to find some info on it....

You're right! Especially studio stuff. this is from Dave's Dinosaur Rock site:

"Wolf is strongly associated with Gibson Flying V guitars. The reality, however, is that Wolf's stage guitars are most frequently Super Strats (and variants) equipped with black, Floyd Rose trems

• Members

sure.

i might feel the same way he does if i was drunk most of the time, and both of those companies were paying me to like them.

His being "drunk" is an act. He only drinks beer, and there have been numerous stories that he only has one or two before a show and saves the rest for the after show. Sure he gets drunk sometimes, but not all the time. You can tell the celebrities that get drunk all the time by the amount of times they show up on the news for doing stupid {censored} while drunk.

• Members

Man I was a big Wolf Hoffman fan back in the day. I swear he always used that white strat on the records. Obviously it didn't have a standard single coil in the bridge.Trying to find some info on it....

Somewhere in the Metal Heart Liner notes, it credits both of them with using "Strings and Things" Strats.

http://www.stringsandthings.com/

• Members

That might get you 80% of the way there, but it still doesn't sound very close to the actual Accept tone that Wolf gets. You just described the setup LOTS of people use, and they don't sound like Accept, either.

Depends on how you set everything, how you play, etc.

I didn't know Accept until I joined a cover band that was doing Balls to the wall. When they played me the song I was like "Hey, that's exactly my tone".

Sure, will never be 100% identical, but it was the closest to my live tone I'd ever heard.

• Members

Depends on how you set everything, how you play, etc.

Depending on how close you want to get :idk: Wolf's old Marshall was VERY tight sounding, very defined, but thick, and I've never heard a stock Marshall get "that" tone. I'm a Marshall guy and have loved their amps for over 25 years, so it's not a rip on the JCM800 or any other Marshall amp.

You know how you might have a favorite dish at a favorite restaurant, and then the restaraunt closes for good- so you go to other restaraunts and you order the same meal, and it tastes good, and if you're lucky it's pretty close, but it never tastes the same as the old restaraunt- it's like that. A stock Marshall that's boosted by an overdrive gets you a generic, servicable interpretation of Wolf's tone, but that's as close as it gets.

Archived