OT: Air France Flight 447 Crash

Chrisjd

• Members

My last TWO flying experiences were awful. The last time, I thought I was going to die for sure. I wouldn't set foot on a plane again unless I just HAD to. I don't think there is anything "safe" about flying Chris. I don't think God or whatever powers that be intended us to fly. Seriously.

Everything in life has dangers involved, but your chances of dying on a given plane trip are 1 in 56 million. If you fly 100 hours per year for your entire life, you are about half as likely to die in a plane wreck as you are in an auto wreck. So basically, it's pretty much the safest form of travel in existence at the moment. What happened on your last trip that made you think you were going to die?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i have something to admit here, i am terrified to fly and have not been on a plane in over 10 years because of it...{censored} like this doesnt help.

Statistically, you are more likely to die by being trampled by a mule than in a plane crash. Planes are actually VERY safe and malfunction VERY rarely, which is why sad situations like this get so much attention. With the amount of safety regulations involved in air transportation, things have to REALLY go wrong for a plane to crash like this. Something must have happened to compromise the structural integrity of the plane, if I had to guess.

• Members

Statistically, you are more likely to die by being trampled by a mule than in a plane crash. Planes are actually VERY safe and malfunction VERY rarely, which is why sad situations like this get so much attention. With the amount of safety regulations involved in air transportation, things have to REALLY go wrong for a plane to crash like this. Something must have happened to compromise the structural integrity of the plane, if I had to guess.

Very true. Think about how many car crashes happen per day. How many of these to do you hear about on national news? However, any time there's an airline crash, the coverage is insane. That's because it's extremely rare.

• Members

Everything in life has dangers involved, but your chances of dying on a given plane trip are 1 in 56 million. If you fly 100 hours per year for your entire life, you are about half as likely to die in a plane wreck as you are in an auto wreck. So basically, it's pretty much the safest form of travel in existence at the moment. What happened on your last trip that made you think you were going to die?

I agree with what you posted, in theory. Obviously, our US pro sports teams fly all over North America and have never had a catasrophic accident yet (this shocks me really), so obviously you're stats are in line. BUT, it only takes ONE time and it's over. The last flight I was on was from London to New York. The A/C on the plane went out mid-flight. We flew through the WORST and LONGEST thunderstorm I've ever seen in my life. One of the engines was making the most awful sound I have ever heard. The turbulance felt like the plane was going to literally break up right there. The entire electrical system was malfunctioning power on/off kinda thing. Upon landing the flight attnendant (who was praying under her breath) told me she was "quitting" after that flight. It was an absolute nightmare.

• Members

I agree with what you posted, in theory. Obviously, our US pro sports teams fly all over North America and have never had a catasrophic accident yet (this shocks me really), so obviously you're stats are in line. BUT, it only takes ONE time and it's over. The last flight I was on was from London to New York. The A/C on the plane went out mid-flight. We flew through the WORST and LONGEST thunderstorm I've ever seen in my life. One of the engines was making the most awful sound I have ever heard. The turbulance felt like the plane was going to literally break up right there. The entire electrical system was malfunctioning power on/off kinda thing. Upon landing the flight attnendant (who was praying under her breath) told me she was "quitting" after that flight. It was an absolute nightmare.

That's why I always get {censored}face drunk on international flights. Minor problems don't bother me when I'm blitzed.

• Members

This made me uncomfortable just reading it. That would be a nightmare.

• Members

Please. Like you're above it all.

Gallows Humor FTW.

Please. Did you take into consideration that I just hate the show Lost, and thought the actual joke was lame by the 3rd time I read it?

More commenting on HCAF users lack of originality, not the subject they're using.

• Members

Please. Did you take into consideration that I just hate the show Lost, and thought the actual joke was lame by the 3rd time I read it?

More commenting on HCAF users lack of originality, not the subject they're using.

Well right. I addressed this myself earlier.

• Members
This made me uncomfortable just reading it. That would be a nightmare.

Turned me into a {censored} really fast! :lol:

In all seriousness, that why I made that "safe" comment in my previous post. NOTHING about that flight was/seemed safe.
I would like to add when a planes A/C goes out, it gets REALLY, REALLY, hot and humid in there and gives you the worst claustrophobic feeling...
I get chills just thinking about that flight to this day.

• Members

Even if you are one of the severely unlucky bastards who are involved in an aircraft crash, you will still probably survive it.

If you are involved in a plane crash and don't survive, you are so {censored}ing unlucky that you would have died by some other means shortly after anyway...

• Members

A good friend of mine is a pilot and has some experience on those Airbus A330's. He said that the fly-by-wire system in those is really strange. There is absolutely no physical connection between the stick and the physical directional control mechanisms (save for some very limited rudder and trim controls), which is normally safer (no hydraulic issues, etc) and they have a really powerful automatic system that is designed to overcome sensor and hardware failures and even pilot error. However, when that automatic system itself fails, there's no back up and you're just {censored}ed. You sit there in the cockpit and ride it into the deck.

There have apparently been a couple of instances on that model plane where the computer fouled up, took bad sensor data, and forced the plane into steep dives.

If it turns out that's what happened to the AF flight, expect Airbus to be in some trouble.

• Members

Even if you are one of the severely unlucky bastards who are involved in an aircraft crash, you will still probbaly survive it.

If you are involved in a plane crash and don't survive, you are so {censored}ing unlucky that you would have died by some other means shortly after anyway...

No, you will probably die. Look at the majority of major airline crashes over the last 20 years. More often than not, the entire crew and it's passengers are all dead.

• Members

No, you will probably die. Look at the majority of major airline crashes over the last 20 years. More often than not, the entire crew and it's passengers are all dead.

That's because they're only called crashes if people die. If the passengers survive, they are "emergency landings" as to not tank the airline stocks.

The plane that "emergency landed" in the Hudson a few weeks back had no major casualties.

My brother in laws plane several years ago ran out of fuel and had no "emergency land" at a naval base somewhere.

• Members

what i don't understand is why there are some superhuman idiots making jokes out of a tragedy like this.

Think of your families and try to pay a little respect for the dead ones.

There's humor in everything. It just takes a particular type of person to identify it.

• Members

A good friend of mine is a pilot and has some experience on those Airbus A330's. He said that the fly-by-wire system in those is really strange. There is absolutely no physical connection between the stick and the physical directional control mechanisms (save for some very limited rudder and trim controls), which is normally safer (no hydraulic issues, etc) and they have a really powerful automatic system that is designed to overcome sensor and hardware failures and even pilot error. However, when that automatic system itself fails, there's no back up and you're just {censored}ed. You sit there in the cockpit and ride it into the deck.

There have apparently been a couple of instances on that model plane where the computer fouled up, took bad sensor data, and forced the plane into steep dives.

If it turns out that's what happened to the AF flight, expect Airbus to be in some trouble.

The F-16's fly-by-wire system has a glitch where if the aircraft enters a certain type of stall, it will automatically begin pitching up and down, trying to find the correct pitch to end the stall. However, since it's already losing airspeed and it keeps pitching back up, it's never going to gain enough speed or lift to get out of the stall. So the pilot has to override the system and basically mimic the system's movements (and while doing so, the pitching gets steeper and steeper) until the plane finally "allows" him to regain control, pitch down, and gain enough speed to end the stall. During this entire process, the plane is descending at hundreds of feet per second. If it happens below a certain altitude, the plane is considered unrecoverable and the procedure is to eject immediately.

Scary stuff.

• Members

The F-16's fly-by-wire system has a glitch where if the aircraft enters a certain type of stall, it will automatically begin pitching up and down, trying to find the correct pitch to end the stall. However, since it's already losing airspeed and it keeps pitching back up, it's never going to gain enough speed or lift to get out of the stall. So the pilot has to override the system and basically mimic the system's movements (and while doing so, the pitching gets steeper and steeper) until the plane finally "allows" him to regain control, pitch down, and gain enough speed to end the stall. During this entire process, the plane is descending at hundreds of feet per second. If it happens below a certain altitude, the plane is considered unrecoverable and the procedure is to eject immediately.

Scary stuff.

Modern technology at its finest.

• Members

not true

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/air_space/4219452.html

The only people who will "probably die" are the pilots/crew and the first class business a-holes. and who cares about them.

Archived