Chet Atkins is the man

Say Ocean

• Members
Great Dave Brubeck song
:)

I've never gotten into Chet, but man had chops

My teacher has been showing me Chet stuff lately and it's really getting me into him. Before this song it was Walk Don't Run by the Ventures. Chet makes great arrangements. I like teh country jazz style, it's so fun to play.

• Members

One of my favorite clips ever :love:

I really like his approach to the guitar, no more simple than it needed to be, no more complicated. It just worked. And his skills were impeccable.

So you're getting into fingerstyle/travis picking then? Cool! I've always wanted to learn that. One of these days I guess.

• Members
One of my favorite clips ever
:love:

I really like his approach to the guitar, no more simple than it needed to be, no more complicated. It just worked. And his skills were impeccable.

So you're getting into fingerstyle/travis picking then? Cool! I've always wanted to learn that. One of these days I guess.

Yeah, my teacher grew up on country picking stuff and his idol was Chet Atkins, and then he discovered Joe Pass and the like and became a great, great jazz player. He's been really influential to my playing, and he opened me up to jazz which I hated before I took lessons from him. This fingerstyle stuff is really fun :rawk:

• Members

I've been learning this for the last week or so. I can't play with a thumb-pick, it feels so unnatural.

I really need to get a thumb pick, I've been doing everything with just my thumb and it's a lot more work, especially for the country style stuff where you need the twang in the bass notes.

• Members

Checkout the sweep picking at 1:14.

Wow! :love:

I friend of mine is way into bluegrass. A few years ago he had a jam session at his house. Bunch of badass bluegrass pickers showed up. I wasn't in the same league as those guys at all. I just put my guitar down and listened. Totally humbling experience.

• Members
Wow!
:love:

I friend of mine is way into bluegrass. A few years ago he had a jam session at his house. Bunch of badass bluegrass pickers showed up. I wasn't in the same league as those guys at all. I just put my guitar down and listened. Totally humbling experience.

[YOUTUBE]9XZgzxb0yz4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]OyvMUfLp1zI&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Archived