digital SLR photography guys, what camera should i get?

blargh

• Members

i want to get better at doing artistic photography, and while i've got some sorta-okay film gear, i never use it because film sucks my dick, so i defer to HCAF's knowledge and wisdom to help me pick out a DSLR. between canon, nikon, sony, olympus, pentax, panasonic, etc, etc, the choices are a bit overwhelming since i know {censored} all about photography and all the features on these things.

I'm not looking to spend more than about $800, especially for just the body.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
wowee, thats a cheap camera
:eek:
kind of sucks that it has less resolution than my point and shoot
:(

Unless you are printing posters, 6.1 is plenty. That's a resolution of 2848 x 2136. The Nikon D40 is one of the best DSLR's out there for under a grand. If you really need more MP, you can get the D60. That's 10 MP I think.

EDIT: DO NOT buy from that link above. I just looked up some reviews and it's almost all horror stories. I guess there is a reason they sell cameras so cheap.

• Members

I did weeks of research and ended up with the canon 450D. best bang for the buck IMO. The ONLY place I will buy online from is B&H photo though I got my tamron lens from a fellow photographer on the canon forum.

do yourself a favor and skip the kit lens. get the camera body package only and the Tamron 17-50mm lens. Again, i did tons of research and ended up with this as a general use lens and have found it to be awesome for everything except the lowest of low light situations.

took these at the skillet concert holding the camera above my head :o

tn_Skillet-15.jpg

tn_Skillet-16.jpg

tn_Skillet-17.jpg

tn_Skillet-18.jpg

tn_Skillet-2.jpg

tn_Skillet-5.jpg

also, this is a 100% crop (not zoomed in) of a full resolution picture. I cropped everything out but the lizard just to keep the file size down some.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/fastredponycar/Outdoor%20Stuff/IMG_1753.jpg

• Members

I did weeks of research and ended up with the canon 450D. best bang for the buck IMO. The ONLY place I will buy online from is B&H photo though I got my tamron lens from a fellow photographer on the canon forum.

do yourself a favor and skip the kit lens. get the camera body package only and the Tamron 17-50mm lens. Again, i did tons of research and ended up with this as a general use lens and have found it to be awesome for everything except the lowest of low light situations.

took these at the skillet concert holding the camera above my head
:o

Those look pretty good except one thing...why are all the concert pics so blown out? Or did you do that in photoshop afterward?

• Members

took these at the skillet concert holding the camera above my head

also, this is a 100% crop (not zoomed in) of a full resolution picture. I cropped everything out but the lizard just to keep the file size down some.

Awesome pics man! I just saw them back in May with Decyfer Down and Disciple. AWESOME show!!!!!!!:love:

• Members

Nikon D40 is fully backed.

Just be aware that older AF lenses wont auto focus on it, so you'll either have to go manual, or shell out for an AFS lense

p.s. Dont worry about resolution, seriously. This pixel arms race that camera manufacturers have been taking part in is retarded, and is mainly just a way to trick people who don't know about cameras into shelling out more.

Bad times.

• Members

I have a Nikon D60, had a Canon 450, and previous a Minolta Dimage A2

D60 wins flat out! Sporting events, Gigs, fam photos and you can't take a bad shot with one.

My biggest gripe with other models was image smearing. You would have to have a tripod to get clear shots, dark shots, and any movement at all and you can forget it.

My wife has used it and even for her, she gets maybe 2 pics out of 100 she'll send to trash.

NIKON D Series!

• Members

i got a Canon Xsi 10 megapixel camera last fall. its awesome. i ended up just getting the stock lens, as i'm not doing any shooting that's too fancy. i mostly use mine to document artwork...

i forget where i ordered mine from, but i got it for about $600, and it got here quickly. there are some great deals online, but also some shady places...

• Members
Those look pretty good except one thing...why are all the concert pics so blown out? Or did you do that in photoshop afterward?

Lightroom... That and it was my first time ever using the camera (or taking photos period) in that type of environment. The lighting was crazy as it would either be nonexistent or super bright. There was never an in-between so the exposure meter was jumping from the max to the min. I just had to pick a middle of the road exposure level, 1600 iso and shoot when the lighting hit a certain exposure. it was hit or miss. I took 400 pictures and ended up with about 25 good ones. :facepalm:

anyways, blarg, this is what convinced me to get the 450D

9 point AF and live view are indespensable. The live view feature + the 3" LCD are worth the price of admission alone.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/CanonEOS450D/

It costs a bit more than the D40 but those extra features are VERY usable and features you'll find yourself using a lot of.

• Members

Nikon D40 is fully backed.

Just be aware that older AF lenses wont auto focus on it, so you'll either have to go manual, or shell out for an AFS lense

p.s. Dont worry about resolution, seriously. This pixel arms race that camera manufacturers have been taking part in is retarded, and is mainly just a way to trick people who don't know about cameras into shelling out more.

Bad times.

+1

My old Oly 2100 10x is only a 2.1 and it takes just as good pictures as my D40. I still have it but I like having a SLR. Does great 8 x 10 shots. Also, you can't go wrong buying a Canon either.

Oly 2100

p9290184.jpg

• Members
Dadsmaller.jpg

My dad D40'd up

ETID1v2.jpg

ETID2-1.jpg

A couple of Every Time I Die, if you're into black and white (I'm not, but the magazine they were for wasn't in colour) I'm not sure why these are coming up so small. Hmmmm.

• Members

Nikon D40!

There couldn't be a better camera for a beginner or as a lightweight hiking/travel backup camera. It is fully capable of taking fantastic pictures and the kit 18-55mm ain't half bad. The 55-200mm that comes in the two lense kit is even better.

The D40 is often preferred out of the D40, D40X, D60 family because due to its lower pixel count, it has a lower (better) pixel density sensor giving it better light sensitivity and less noise. 6.1mpx is enough. simple as that. I'd take the better low light performance and less noise over a few mpx any day.

Ken Rockwell can be a bit nutty, but i agree with this: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

Archived