digital SLR photography guys, what camera should i get?

blargh

• Members

Very informative thread. I did not know that higher MP meant more noise in low light.

Despite how high the megapixels are, noise should not be an issue on D-SLRs that have a large enough sensor, which will of course be the higher end Pro level DSLR's. You'll see more noise on lower end D-SLR's that have a really high amount of megapixels. This is why the size of the sensor is so important.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're basing that on nothing. Each company produces a nearly identical line of lenses, I can't think of anything that one makes that the other doesn't. And again, I don't understand how 20 years worth of Canon lenses is somehow greater than 50 years worth of Nikkors. If by broader selection you mean just the sheer number of different lenses out there then Nikon is clearly ahead. You can't buy a 135mm Canon prime from the 1970s and use it on your rebel, with Nikon its no problem. This may or may not matter at all in someone decision to buy a camera, but its there if they want it

Agreed. I should have worded my point earlier better. I just think Nikon messed up by only making their popular D40/D40X/D60 models only work with AF-S lenses.

• Members

Agreed. I should have worded my point earlier better. I just think Nikon messed up by only making their popular D40/D40X/D60 models only work with AF-S lenses.

Oh, I get you. I find it annoying too, thats why I went with the D80. Guess they had to cut features somewhere to justify the price difference

• Members

Very informative thread. I did not know that higher MP meant more noise in low light. My main interest is astro-photagraphy and I plan to invest in some quality gear one of these days.

I took this with a tiny pocket camera through one side of binoculars. Had no luck with planets doing this. The closeup was not cropped, that's how it appeared through the lens.

Any of you guys doing this sort of thing?

Doing astro-photography is an art form and requires CLEAR {censored}ing skies, minimal light pollution. Be prepared to travel!

Today most go for CCD imagers and a equatorial motorized tracking system. Go-to scopes can work for some things but not for deep sky images. Deep sky images (galaxies/nebulas) can take 30 min + for exposure times. Most of which depends on your site skies and light pollution levels.

Archived