digital SLR photography guys, what camera should i get?

blargh

• Members

I'm looking at buying the Canon Rebel T1i (500d) or the Nikon D5000...any insight onto which i should get and why?

Or should I just go with the 450d or D60 :idk:

Cool thread!

Camera GAS :p

EDIT: Is it a bad idea to buy these kinds of things off ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-EOS-Digital-Rebel-T1i-500D-SLR-Camera-Body-4-lens_W0QQitemZ160340639866QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Cameras?hash=item25550c007a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1308|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Unless you are printing posters, 6.1 is plenty. That's a resolution of 2848 x 2136. The Nikon D40 is one of the best DSLR's out there for under a grand. If you really need more MP, you can get the D60. That's 10 MP I think.

EDIT: DO NOT buy from that link above. I just looked up some reviews and it's almost all horror stories. I guess there is a reason they sell cameras so cheap.

Ya, you really gotta watch out, lots of scam photo gear sites out there. If you look carefully, that site is only selling the body, but the "list price" they show is actually for the body + lens. So the "savings" isn't really a savings, it just them not selling you parts of the kit that they SHOULD be selling, and will try to up-sell you on separately.

Online B&H is about the lowest reputable dealer price you'll get (bhphoto.com). I always check them at least as a reference first. It's usually where I buy if I don't buy locally.

BTW, 6.1M is enough for printing billboards. It's not only the size of the print, it's how it's viewed and larger prints are usually viewed from a greater distance making additional pixels unnecessary. Now if you're blowing it up and looking at it with a magnifying lens like spy satellite photos or something, then you'll need more pixels ;)

• Members

I'm looking at buying the Canon Rebel T1i (500d) or the Nikon D5000...any insight onto which i should get and why?

Or should I just go with the 450d or D60
:idk:

Cool thread!

Camera GAS
:p

EDIT: Is it a bad idea to buy these kinds of things off ebay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-EOS-Digital-Rebel-T1i-500D-SLR-Camera-Body-4-lens_W0QQitemZ160340639866QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Cameras?hash=item25550c007a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240%3A1308|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Between Nikon and Canon, it's really a matter of personal preference. They're both excellent brands. Just go to a camera store and try them both to see which is more comfortable to you.

If you buy new, make sure you buy from an authorized dealer otherwise the warranty will be voided. Also watch out for "USA" vs. "imported". Nikon and Canon void the warranty on "imported". A reputable dealer may offer their own warranty on "imported" items, up to you if you trust that.

• Members
Between Nikon and Canon, it's really a matter of personal preference. They're both excellent brands. Just go to a camera store and try them both to see which is more comfortable to you.

I plan on doing that later today :cool:

Any reason why i shouldn't buy off ebay? That link I posted comes with 2 tamron lenses, the body, and a whole host of other gear :idk: Looks like a damn good deal considering the price of the body alone at Best Buy or similar :confused::cool:

• Members

These days I'm wary of anybody on Ebay, and even more so of camera dealers on Ebay. I only buy from B&H online or Calumet. Calumet is online also but I have a store locally so that's where I go. I also only buy Canon lenses and have spent close to 10G on bodies and lenses alone so I'm not exactly "budget" minded like a lot of people.

If you buy anywhere else, just check them out real carefully.

• Members

This. I don't know what it is about the Nikon D cameras, but they just fit my hands better/feel better to me. Nikon, Canon, Sony all make good cameras.

• Members

This. I don't know what it is about the Nikon D cameras, but they just fit my hands better/feel better to me. Nikon, Canon, Sony all make good cameras.

Same, I don't like how the Rebels feel. If I was gonna get a Canon I'd get a 40D or something, they feel better and the wheel on the back is really convenient

• Members

Comparing Nikon and Canon is like comparing BMW and Mercedes. You'll end up going with the one you like better after the test drive. Hold both in your hand, some people prefer the feel over the Canon over the Nikon, or vice versa. The button/menu layout alone between the two could help you make your decision.

The Canon T1i (500D) and the Nikon D5000 are the most recent DLRs out under a grand and are competitor models. They both have a HD video recording, which can be a nice feature for you if you plan using it. If you don't care for the HD video feature, and you want to spend less than $600 then the Nikon D60 would be fine, but Phishmonkey makes a great point above about lens compatibility. Canon beats Nikon as far as lens choices and backward compatibility (EOS lenses).

The best, most in-depth reviews out for the Canon T1i and the Nikon D5000 right now are here:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos500d/

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/

You'll find comparison reviews between the two and other comparable models like the Olympus E-620 (which IMO is inferior to the Canon and Nikon models)

I would get the body only and go for a 50mm F1.8 lens. I also agree that the D40 is outdated, it's not only about what size pictures you plan on printing out, it's about how much you will need to crop your pictures later. It never hurts to have a higher resolution when you're editing your pictures later. If you take a picture of a subject from a distance and need to blow it up you'll be glad you went with something higher than 6 megapixels. Of course D40 owners are going to swear by their camera. Don't get me wrong it's a great camera but you will grow out of it quickly if you plan on making photography a serious hobby. Photography is an expensive hobby, so spend more $$ and save later.

• Members

If you don't care for the HD video feature, and you want to spend less than $600 then the Nikon D60 would be fine, but Phishmonkey makes a great point above about lens compatibility. Canon beats Nikon as far as lens choices and backward compatibility (EOS lenses).

Wait, wat? Nikon is way ahead of Canon in terms of backwards compatibility. They've been using the F mount for 50 years. With the exception of the very early pre Ai lenses, you can mount any nikkor lens ever made onto any Nikon body. Not so with Canon, they abandoned their old mounts for the EOS. My comment before wasn't entirely accurate, the D200 and D300 allow for TTL metering with old lenses. If I wanted to I could still use manual focus lenses on the D80, I'd just have to get an external meter or guess and check my exposures using the histograms

• Members

Register at the Nikon forums and buy a nice used D2X or D2H. I've got a D1X and it's an awesome camera but the battery sucks and it's fairly low res. The D2's are much newer and nicer. You'll be getting into a true pro level camera for a fraction of what the current D3's cost. It'll be a big, fast, stable, metal camera, not a plastic deal.

Then buy the Nikon 18-200mm lens and you should be good to go.

• Members

Wait, wat? Nikon is way ahead of Canon in terms of backwards compatibility. They've been using the F mount for 50 years. With the exception of the very early pre Ai lenses, you can mount any nikkor lens ever made onto any Nikon body. Not so with Canon, they abandoned their old mounts for the EOS. My comment before wasn't entirely accurate, the D200 and D300 allow for TTL metering with old lenses. If I wanted to I could still use manual focus lenses on the D80, I'd just have to get an external meter or guess and check my exposures using the histograms

OK, but 1985 to present. Canon came out with a better lens system with EOS than Nikon's older camera mounts. I hate what Nikon did with the AF/AF-S and no AutoFocus on the D40/D60.

• Members

Thanks for the advice folks. Guess I'll go out to best buy and play around with a few Canons and Nikons and figure out which ones feel better to me. I think I'm leaning towards the Canon 450D or maybe a used canon 40D based on features since they have live view which seems like it'd be useful.

Any input on buying used or refurbished gear? I buy all my amps used but they dont have any sensitive optics for some idiot to put his greasy idiot fingers into so I don't know :cop:

• Members
Thanks for the advice folks. Guess I'll go out to best buy and play around with a few Canons and Nikons and figure out which ones feel better to me. I think I'm leaning towards the Canon 450D or maybe a used canon 40D based on features since they have live view which seems like it'd be useful.

Any input on buying used or refurbished gear? I buy all my amps used but they dont have any sensitive optics for some idiot to put his greasy idiot fingers into so I don't know
:cop:

I'd buy new if you can afford to :) I'm headed to best buy later today too :) Good luck and post up what you buy...I'll do the same (in this thread) :cool:

• Members

Any input on buying used or refurbished gear? I buy all my amps used but they dont have any sensitive optics for some idiot to put his greasy idiot fingers into so I don't know
:cop:

My D80 is refurbished, no problems :idk: And this site is great for used camera gear
http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/home.aspx

• Members

Lightroom... That and it was my first time ever using the camera (or taking photos period) in that type of environment. The lighting was crazy as it would either be nonexistent or super bright. There was never an in-between so the exposure meter was jumping from the max to the min. I just had to pick a middle of the road exposure level, 1600 iso and shoot when the lighting hit a certain exposure. it was hit or miss. I took 400 pictures and ended up with about 25 good ones.
:facepalm:

Gotcha. I actually like the effect it gives to the pics. Just didn't know if it was from the camera or post. :thu: Those pics are magazine quality all the way man.

• Members

I wouldn't do it, the D300 outperforms the D2s

Granted, but what's a D300 cost compared to a used D2? Plus, the D2's are just built like tanks and make a great backup and learning camera because everything on them is configurable.

• Members

Anyone own a Pentax? I've found some pretty solid deals on their K200D and K20D cameras, which like seem pretty nice pieces of gear, and I know Pentax were well-regarded in the film era, but seem to be a distant fourth or fifth in the DSLR arena.

• Members
I wouldn't do it, the D300 outperforms the D2s

How is it better?

Canon has a broader selection of lenses than Nikon does. Any D60/D40X/D40 owners are stuck buying AF-S lenses if they want to have AutoFocus, which is really annoying.

With any Canon EF lens you can count on it working with any Canon EOS DSLR camera. Another reason why Canon has a better lens selection than Nikon. No compatibility chart needed :)

• Members
Canon has a broader selection of lenses than Nikon does. Any D60/D40X/D40 owners are stuck buying AF-S lenses if they want to have AutoFocus, which is really annoying.

With any Canon EF lens you can count on it working with any Canon EOS DSLR camera. Another reason why Canon has a better lens selection than Nikon. No compatibility chart needed
:)

You're basing that on nothing. Each company produces a nearly identical line of lenses, I can't think of anything that one makes that the other doesn't. And again, I don't understand how 20 years worth of Canon lenses is somehow greater than 50 years worth of Nikkors. If by broader selection you mean just the sheer number of different lenses out there then Nikon is clearly ahead. You can't buy a 135mm Canon prime from the 1970s and use it on your rebel, with Nikon its no problem. This may or may not matter at all in someone decision to buy a camera, but its there if they want it

Archived