This cop really is an idiot.

nerol1st

• Members

Short version is this professor got arrested in Cambridge MA at his own home because a neighbor though he was breaking in.

He claims racial profiling.

Cop says he isn't apologizing.

President of the united states says he acted stupidly.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/22/harvard.gates.interview/index.html

Normally, eh I would brush this off. But how stupid is it to say "I'm not saying sorry" when the President is calling you a dumb ass? :facepalm:

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Short version is this professor got arrested in Cambridge MA at his own home because a neighbor though he was breaking in.

He claims racial profiling.

Cop says he isn't apologizing.

President of the united states says he acted stupidly.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/22/harvard.gates.interview/index.html

Normally, eh I would brush this off. But how stupid is it to say "I'm not saying sorry" when the President is calling you a dumb ass?
:facepalm:

The President knows the professor so I don't see how he could hold an unbiased opinion. Not saying the cop was right, most of them are {censored}nut, power hungry losers.

• Members

A lot of cops can be idiots. They're just people, and most people are idiots, so it makes sense. However, crying racism/racial profiling every time a black person gets harassed by the cops is just idiotic. What do we call it when white people are harassed? It happens you know.

• Members

Good for the cop!!! Maybe it's because:

a. The professor was a dick and pulled the race card. All he had to do was show a driver's license or some proof he lived there, instead he made a big stink about it. {censored} him, he got what he deserved.

b. Maybe, like a number of us, he thinks Obama's a dumbass and doesn't give a flying {censored} what he said. :idea:

• Members

a lot of people can be idiots. cops AND professors alike.

i have no idea what the backstory on this was-- but if you're pounding on a door-- and a cop asks you for your ID.. just give it to him. he's not asking because he wants to profile you-- he just wants to see if you're at YOUR address so he knows to HELP you or not.

what the {censored} would happen if he 'helped' a dude break into somebody ELSES house? der.

and last i checked, there's some self important {censored}wit professors of EVERY color who'd blow a gasket if questioned 'by some idiot cop' due to some cerebral construct that has nothing to do with the way a cop thinks.

i wouldn't race to defend either of 'em-- this is media {censored}storm material. not that cops are golden, but neither are highly paid brain trusters at all times. more to this one than anybody's letting on.

• Members

a lot of people can be idiots. cops AND professors alike.

i have no idea what the backstory on this was-- but if you're pounding on a door-- and a cop asks you for your ID.. just give it to him. he's not asking because he wants to profile you-- he just wants to see if you're at YOUR address so he knows to HELP you or not.

what the {censored} would happen if he 'helped' a dude break into somebody ELSES house? der.

and last i checked, there's some self important {censored}wit professors of EVERY color who'd blow a gasket if questioned 'by some idiot cop' due to some cerebral construct that has nothing to do with the way a cop thinks.

i wouldn't race to defend either of 'em-- this is media {censored}storm material. not that cops are golden, but neither are highly paid brain trusters at all times. more to this one than anybody's letting on.

Imagine the {censored}storm if the cop didnt ask for ID and the a crook really was breaking in? The crook just said... Well hello Im Mr.Gates. AFAIK its COMMON PRACTICE for you to be identified to the police if your are at a scene....if mr.gates got over HIS racial issues with white ppl this would never have been an issue.

• Members

Only 2 people know the real story. Cop says that the prof. got beligerant... which supports why he got a Disorderly Conduct charge and not a B&E. Prof says it's race.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter who's right. A Disorderly Conduct charge isn't a headline, but racism sure is, so which slant do you think the media is going to run with?

All we know for sure is that Obama should have no comment at all about this issue, especially during a healtchare discussion on national TV.

• Members

they call it "oops! sorry, sir"
:lol:

Tell that to the number of white people who have been unreasonably tazed in the last year, which are cases that have been in the news and on youtube. :idk: When a cop is out of control, it generally has nothing to do with race, its just the power trip and not being able to handle anger and stress.

In this situation, this professor was pissed that someone mistook him for a burglar, which is understandable. But from the sound of it, he decided to cop an attitude and refuse to cooperate in what would have otherwise been a simple matter. Instead he's created a huge problem for himself. That's stupid on many levels. In no way is it a violation of his rights for a cop that is responding to a call to investigate a potential breaking and entering to ask for some proof that the person breaking in lives there. I've had to do the same when I set off my parent's damn alarm system and couldn't remember their password. I'm sure if I had copped an attitude about it, the cop wouldn't have said "I'm sorry, sir."

The fact that Obama weighed in on this saying the cop is "stupid" says a lot about our president's level of decorum and common sense.

• Members

Here's the police report:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/download/2009/0720/20120754.pdf

interesting read.

As far as I can tell a cop gets a call that there's a break-in at the residence. He shows up and there's a guy inside the house. Mr. Gates should be glad the cop didn't pull a gun on him and force him out of the house. Is it really that hard to just show your ID when a cop asks for it? Why does that have to be a race issue?

• Members

So...Gates gets the cops called on him because he looked like he was trying to break into a house, which was his own. The cops show up, Gates makes a {censored} all big stink about being questioned on whether or not it's his house and rants about racial profiling, instead of simply just handing the cops his ID and explaining that it's his house.

He deserved to get arrested, the arrogant {censored}.

Substitute him for a white person and I bet the same damn thing happens when the police show up. I'm certainly not saying that there are no incidents where something like this could be a clear cut case of racism, but this just seems like an arrogant professor felt the cops had no right to question who he was so he goes on a some tirade about who he is and how important he is and how they have no right to do this and how it's racism blah blah....he got just what he, or anyone else regardless of color, deserved in that situation.

Edit : And why the {censored} is Obama sticking his nose into this? The incident is not of his concern and has nothing to do with him. Saying that the Police of Cambridge "acted stupidly" is ridiculous given the amount of abuse they put up with. The officer did the right thing, again regardless of race. Obama needs to keep his opinion on this to himself, especially when calling out the Police Department for just doing their job.

• Members

Good for the cop!!! Maybe it's because:

a. The professor was a dick and pulled the race card. All he had to do was show a driver's license or some proof he lived there, instead he made a big stink about it. {censored} him, he got what he deserved.

b. Maybe, like a number of us, he thinks Obama's a dumbass and doesn't give a flying {censored} what he said.
:idea:

Ding ding. We have a winner.

And for the President of the US to open his idiotic mouth regarding this type of issue is just irresponsible and pathetic.

We have a very un-Presidential President. What a moron.

Oh, and this Gates idiot is a flat out racist.:cool:

• Members

Many years ago when I first got married, my wife and I lived in a very old house that needed a ton of work. We were in the middle of having the windows replaced throughout the house, unbeknownst to us the contractor who was working on it accidentally disconnected the house alarm siren.

One time in the middle of the night, our stupid cat was clawing at the back door wanting to go out and inadvertantly set off the alarm. Because the siren was disconnected, we didn't hear it. The alarm company called but because my daughter was a newborn at the time, we had the ringer off on the phone in our bedroom so we didn't hear that either. The cops came shortly thereafter and started ringing the doorbell and pounding on the door. This woke me up startled so I ran downstairs and opened the door.

There were 2 cops there, one with his gun drawn and the 2nd with his hand on it in the holster. Now mind you I was a long-haired, tattoo'd derelict in their eyes. They shouted for me to put my hands where I could see them, etc. I did as I was told, but calmly told the cops that I lived there and had no idea what the problem was. They told me the alarm had gone off and because no one answered the phone, they came to investigate. I asked them if they were sure they were at the right house because I didn't hear anything (not knowing the alarm siren was disconnected).

I calmly asked the cop (with my hands still in the air) if they would accompany me into the kitchen so I could get my wallet and show them my driver's license. They agreed, I SLOWLY got my wallet, showed them the license with my address, THEY APOLOGIZED FOR THE INCONVENIENCE AND LEFT. :idea:

If this jackass professor had done the same, it wouldn't have even made the news. :bor:

• Members

Ding ding. We have a winner.

And for the President of the US to open his idiotic mouth regarding this type of issue is just irresponsible and pathetic.

We have a very un-Presidential President. What a moron.

Oh, and this Gates idiot is a flat out racist.
:cool:

"We have a very un-Presidential President. What a moron."

This, You would think he came from Hollywood :rolleyes:

• Members

Obama was asked for his opinion he didn't offer it. The professor supposedly showed his I.D. , but apparently was acting like a {censored}stick. I think it was two dudes getting into a "my cock is bigger than yours" contest.

This sounds about right.

Archived