This cop really is an idiot.

nerol1st

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just saw on the news some of the audio from the officer calling dispatch. He sounded calm as hell and was talking about how irrate the guy is getting with him.

But my understanding is that this was AFTER Gates showed ID, and before he was arrested. So, at this point, the call should be considered resolved, should it not? The officer had a chance to walk away and leave it behind, but he chose to escalate it instead.

Once again, I don't think he did so because Gates was black - I think it was a power trip plain and simple (just as was Gates' playing the "Don't you know who I am?" card). But it really does look like the officer went out of his way to arrest Gates. I think that was not the best choice on his part, and I would think that even if Gates were a 72-year-old Jewish woman or a 24-year-old white man.

• Members

But my understanding is that this was AFTER Gates showed ID, and before he was arrested. So, at this point, the call should be considered resolved, should it not? The officer had a chance to walk away and leave it behind, but he chose to escalate it instead.

Once again, I don't think he did so because Gates was black - I think it was a power trip plain and simple (just as was Gates' playing the "Don't you know who I am?" card). But it really does look like the officer went out of his way to arrest Gates. I think that was not the best choice on his part, and I would think that even if Gates were a
72-year-old Jewish woman
or a 24-year-old white man.

Have you seen the video of the 72 year old woman who got tazered? It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life.

• Members

Once again, I don't think he did so because Gates was black - I think it was a power trip plain and simple (just as was Gates' playing the "Don't you know who I am?" card). But it really does look like the officer went out of his way to arrest Gates. I think that was not the best choice on his part, and I would think that even if Gates were a 72-year-old Jewish woman or a 24-year-old white man.

No, right when the officer got there gates was already committing disorderly conduct. The officer wasn't going to arrest him for it but it got worse. The officer actually did want to leave and that's when the comment about his mom was made.

The same thing would have happened to a white guy who made those comments. I promise.

• Members

Have you seen the video of the 72 year old woman who got tazered? It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life.

Well, he saved that woman from injury. If he would have had to throw her down and force the handcuffs on her, he would have hurt her worse. He went by protocol. Which is why his department backed him.

I would have not tased her. My lieutenant said he would have. I could have gotten the handcuff's on her.

But some people don't understand why after she said she'd sign the ticket he didn't let her. Well, she said she wasn't the first time and he told her to get out because she was under arrest.

Once you place someone under arrest it's against the law to take it back. Anytime you tell someone they are arrested and make the decision to get them out of the car to do so, even if they start complying you cannot take it back.

• Members

Well, he saved that woman from injury. If he would have had to throw her down and force the handcuffs on her, he would have hurt her worse. He went by protocol. Which is why his department backed him.

Oh, I'm not saying that as a bad thing. I would have tazed the bitch. She was completely out of line, then pulled the whole "oh I'm a defenseless old lady" card, until the audio/video was released and you could see how big of a fat old bitch she was.

It actually sounds very similar to this situation, only replace "old lady" with "black man".

• Members

The more I think about it, I agree that race played absolutely no role on the cop's side of things. Race was only a factor for Mr. Gates. Apparently, the neighbor who called in the police did not even mention race when she called in the police to check out the possible break-in. Theres no time or place to yell at a cop (unless you want to be out $150 in MA for the first offense) :cop:

I don't even think the cop arrested Gates out of personal vindication, but rather, out of general principle of demanding respect for his profession. :idk: its a judgement call, but {censored}, an arrest and $150 fine is a fair price to pay for yelling at cop, damn Gates should have just paid and STFU, now he's completely destroyed his reputation :facepalm:

• Members

No, right when the officer got there gates was already committing disorderly conduct. The officer wasn't going to arrest him for it but it got worse. The officer actually did want to leave and that's when the comment about his mom was made.

He may have been belligerent from the start, but the arrest wasn't made until after Gates provided ID. I think at that point, Crowley could have called it good and gotten out of the situation, but he chose to escalate it instead.

The same thing would have happened to a white guy who made those comments. I promise.

I completely agree. And I would still think the cop should have left before it got to that point.

• Members

The problem is that, in my opinion, you are identifying a symptom of a greater underlying issue, an issue that will take more than a bitch smack and a pair of cuffs to solve.

Why are you placing the problem solving on an administrator of the law? The greater underlying issue has been consistent with Gates while the cop is merely doing what he was told to do; enforce the law.

The cop's job is not to give Gates an attitude adjustment. Its to enforce the law.

• Members
Jesus, make {censored} up out of whole cloth why don't you!
:facepalm::cop::mad:
Crowley (cop) was trying to get Gates out of the house for both their protection in case the house had been broken into and the criminal was still on the premises w/o Gates knowing. He didn't know WHO the hell Gates was.

Crowley clearly stated he was satisfied gates was the legal resident BEFORE he lured him outside. He even said he was LEAVING and told gates to come out if he wanted "his name" so it would seem even Officer Crowley would disagree with your assessment that he was concerned with a criminal still being on the premise and that it was the reason you cited for asking gates to come out. Gates wanted him to shw his ID which the state of MASS REQUIRES Occifers of the Law to Surrender on demand (look it up). the predatory Occifer was luring him outside under the false pretense of him showing his identification.
IF Gates was so unruly in the house why did the 2nd officer state in his addendum to the report that he went inside and saw gates and crowley talking then turned and WENT OUTSIDE. I assure you had Gates been unruly or out of control that Officer would have stayed right there.
While I certainly believe if gates had been pleasant as the Cop wanted, there'd have been no arrest. While gates behaved inappropriately, he committed no crime. Now if we scrutinize the Police Report Crowley submitted it would be easy to see several "mistakes" or outright lies which could be persued. a lot of cops out there systematically pad the facts and are loose with the truth to ensure a conviction on an otherwise weak or even trumped up charge. It is my opinion crowley is in fact one of those officers and he got busted on it.
I am not defending gates, far from it but the fact that so many are so eager to defend any cop no matter how illegal, immoral or repugnant their actions simply because they wear a badge is pathetic. I'm not saying all cops are bad, I know a some decent cops who always try to treat people like humans and not adversaries or subjects who must render appropriate respect and decorum or else they're railroaded and don't defend the crooks and thugs. The crips and Bloods and other gangbangers operate in a similar fashion, pay them the proper respect and you're fine, disrespect them and you're in trouble. It's the same mindset.
crowley lost it up because Gates hurt his sensitive littlefeelings and he sought to escalate the situation after he had clearly done his job and determined no crime had taken place. Crowley could have just obeyed the law and sown his ID to Gates but he chose not to because he didn't want to cave into his adversary and he chose to include several "incorrect" statements on his report to try to make himself look better.
" :facepalm::cop::mad: "

• Members

To ME, racism between blacks and whites is a dead issue. It's over. I am caucasian, if anything, I AM NOW THE MINORITY. Are people really NOT paying attention?

The issue is far from over. All people are equal on paper, but that means absolutely nothing. Individuals are still entitled to their opinions on other races and if they are public servants, they might just enforce the laws unevenly.

• Members
Crowley clearly stated he was satisfied gates was the legal resident BEFORE he lured him outside. He even said he was LEAVING and told gates to come out if he wanted "his name" so it would seem even Officer Crowley would disagree with your assessment that he was concerned with a criminal still being on the premise and that it was the reason you cited for asking gates to come out. Gates wanted him to shw his ID which the state of MASS REQUIRES Occifers of the Law to Surrender on demand (look it up). the predatory Occifer was luring him outside under the false pretense of him showing his identification.

IF Gates was so unruly in the house why did the 2nd officer state in his addendum to the report that he went inside and saw gates and crowley talking then turned and WENT OUTSIDE. I assure you had Gates been unruly or out of control that Officer would have stayed right there.

While I certainly believe if gates had been pleasant as the Cop wanted, there'd have been no arrest. While gates behaved inappropriately, he committed no crime. Now if we scrutinize the Police Report Crowley submitted it would be easy to see several "mistakes" or outright lies which could be persued. a lot of cops out there systematically pad the facts and are loose with the truth to ensure a conviction on an otherwise weak or even trumped up charge. It is my opinion crowley is in fact one of those officers and he got busted on it.

I am not defending gates, far from it but the fact that so many are so eager to defend any cop no matter how illegal, immoral or repugnant their actions simply because they wear a badge is pathetic. I'm not saying all cops are bad, I know a some decent cops who always try to treat people like humans and not adversaries or subjects who must render appropriate respect and decorum or else they're railroaded and don't defend the crooks and thugs. The crips and Bloods and other gangbangers operate in a similar fashion, pay them the proper respect and you're fine, disrespect them and you're in trouble. It's the same mindset.

crowley lost it up because Gates hurt his sensitive littlefeelings and he sought to escalate the situation after he had clearly done his job and determined no crime had taken place. Crowley could have just obeyed the law and sown his ID to Gates but he chose not to because he didn't want to cave into his adversary and he chose to include several "incorrect" statements on his report to try to make himself look better.

"
:facepalm::cop::mad:
"

Why the hard-on to bring down this cop?

The police report says Crowley identified himself twice to Gates before they went outside. If you think that report is a lie, that's one thing, but you can't argue that thats what the statement says. Secondly, he wasn't 'lured' as you've said several times. Crowley told him if he want to talk to him he'd be outside where he went so he could radio in without Gates loud comments mucking up the transmission. Crowley made that choice and continued to be irrate outside causing a scene. That means a crime took place. Could the cop let it slide and be a bit more diplomatic about it? Possibly. Did Crowley legally have a reason to arrest Gates? Yes.

Lastly, where's your evidence for these 'mistakes' or 'outright lies' as you've dubbed them? Every peice of evidence that's come about in this case points to Gates being an angry man and Crowley being a model, well repected officer. I am just curious where you are basing your opinion that Crowley is a bad guy.

Again, I don't know 100% that Crowley or Gates are telling the truth, but the plausability that Gates should put his foot in his mouth increases everyday this fiasco continues.

• Members

Gates should be damn glad it didn't happen in Pittsburgh, because in the Burgh, color doesn't mean a thing, but if you smart off to a Pittsburgh cop, first he'll taz you, then he'll pull his billy and beat you, and then he'll get the german shepard and let him try to eat you! I've seen it happen and race had nothing to do with. DO NOT {censored} WITH PITTSBURGH COPS!

• Members
Gates should be damn glad it didn't happen in Pittsburgh, because in the Burgh, color doesn't mean a thing, but if you smart off to a Pittsburgh cop, first he'll taz you, then he'll pull his billy and beat you, and then he'll get the german shepard and let him try to eat you! I've seen it happen and race had nothing to do with. DO NOT {censored} WITH PITTSBURGH COPS!

lol, that's pretty {censored}ing metal :rawk:

• Members

Why are you placing the problem solving on an administrator of the law?

I'm not. Read back in this thread. I've mentioned at least a dozen times that I think the officer was 100% correct and Gates should have been arrested. I'm not addressing the outcome of the scenario, I'm talking more about people's reaction to the scenario.

• Members

Birmingham cops > Pittsburg Cops

(scroll down for the video)

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/05/birmingham_police_beating_vide_3.html

• Members

I have actually had great interactions with the cops.

I've been pulled over 5 times in my life. The first time, it was not explained to me why I was pulled over. They took my license and my passengers license, went back to their cruiser, then came back and told me to have a good night. When I asked what I had done, he just repeated himself and left.

Second time was for speeding, I was nothing but polite and courteous to him and he let me go.

Third time was for having Tint that was way too dark. She asked me if she ran my license if she would find anything. I again was polite and respectful and said no, that my license is clean, which is the truth. She let me go.

Fourth time was for having a huge hole in my exhaust which made my car super loud. Once again, polite and courteous. The cop told me he was out there looking for bigger fish, people with suspended licenses or unregistered/lapsed registrations. He also just asked that I get it fixed and let me go.

Fifth time was for a broken headlight. Again, same deal with me being polite and courteous. They saw old license plates on the floor of my car and asked if I was starting a collection :) I explained it was just my old plates that I hadn't turned in yet. They asked where we were going and we told them we were going to a bar, then I sort of stumbled because I felt that was stupid to say since I was driving lol but they said it was fine. Again, they were nice, asked me to get it fixed and then left.

I am 100% sure that in any of those situations, had I been an asshole, I would have gotten slapped with multiple fines. My demeanor and the fact that I was so respectful with them was definitely what has me sitting here completely ticket free through my 36 years of life (20 years of driving). It all comes down to just treating the cops with respect, even if you disagree with what they pulled you over for or why they are asking you questions. Most of the time if you cooperate and show respect, they will absolutely do the same for you and you may even get to walk away without a problem even if you did something minor.

Archived