This cop really is an idiot.

nerol1st

• Members

Obama was asked for his opinion he didn't offer it. The professor supposedly showed his I.D. , but apparently was acting like a {censored}stick.
I think it was two dudes getting into a "my cock is bigger than yours" contest.

"Gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em." Talk about picking a pointless, losing battle.

And it doesn't matter that Obama was asked his opinion, the opinion he gave was more suited to one of those man on the street interviews with a slack-jawed yokel than the thoughts of the highest office in the land.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that the Professor was being an asshole and trying to start {censored} to prove that there is racism in the city.

As a result, he got a arrested for being an asshole, and the fact that he was black seems to have nothing to do with it.

OverzealousFail

• Members

So let me get this straight -- the economy is in the {censored}ter, N Korea acting like a 7 year old, Afghanistan having its deadliest month, Cap and Trade, and a big healtchare debate hes talking about a professor who forgot his keyz? (Thanks media for this nonsense!) Im sorry but i think i see a 'agenda' by the professor

Sounds like Obama knows ALL the facts/details from this incident from 500 miles away, right? :cop:

"My cock is bigger than your cock contest"...

:lol:

• Members

A lot of cops can be idiots. They're just people, and most people are idiots, so it makes sense. However, crying racism/racial profiling every time a black person gets harassed by the cops is just idiotic. What do we call it when white people are harassed? It happens you know.

I think Obama is a dumbass, also a liar, and he also has an agenda.

• Members
Short version is this professor got arrested in Cambridge MA at his own home because a neighbor though he was breaking in.

He claims racial profiling.

Cop says he isn't apologizing.

President of the united states says he acted stupidly.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/07/22/harvard.gates.interview/index.html

Normally, eh I would brush this off. But how stupid is it to say "I'm not saying sorry" when the President is calling you a dumb ass?
:facepalm:

possibly because the President is black as is the victim and the cop feels he acted properly and didn't do anything wrong.

• Members

possibly because the President is black as is the victim and the cop feels he acted properly and didn't do anything wrong.

Gotta appreciate this. No pretenses, no code words, nothing. Just straight-up racism.

• Members
Gotta appreciate this. No pretenses, no code words, nothing. Just straight-up racism.

So the idea that people of one race have a bias towards one another is racist, as opposed to the act of having the bias? :lol:

• Members

Honestly, politics aside, it seems like the professor is at fault here. I'm as skeptical of police officers as the next guy, but cops don't bust down your door and arrest you for no reason (no Patriot Act discussions please). The cop responded to a call of breaking and entering, that is part of his job. If the professor was pissed at anyone, it should have been his neighbor, who called the police in the first place. If anyone in the situation was racial profiling, it was THAT guy, not the cop. He was just doing his job.

I also have no sympathy for people that feel the need to mouth off to cops, then get all butthurt when they get their ass handed to them. It's very easy to NOT get your ass kicked by a police officer, even if you are an ethnic minority.

• Members

Since this incident happened pretty much in my backyard and having worked for Mr Gates as a summer intern about 9 years ago at the WEB Dubois Institute I have to chime in with my 2 cents.

1) The neighbor who called the cops, while doing their due diligence by looking out for their community, couldn't recognize one of the more famous Cambridge locals (Mr Gates is one of the most famous professors in the country) and felt threatened by an elderly black guy wearing a suit using a cane and a limo chauffeur:confused: Mr Gates is not an imposing fellow by any stretch of the imagination. Also keep in mind that this is an affluent community (we're talking multi-million dollar houses).

2) Mr. Gates did eventually produce proper identification, yes he acted like a complete douche and pissed off the cop by making arrogant and provocative remarks. Keep in mind he just got back from the airport from a trip to China, although in my book, being black too, there is no excuse to not show absolute respect to the cops because they're just looking for any sign of insubordination to arrest/beat the living {censored} out you (I find the cambridge police very belligerent, not necessarily racist, just trying to instigate:cop:).

3) The cop lured Mr Gates out of his home AFTER he produced the proper identification. WHY? He did this because he knew he couldn't legally arrest Mr. Gates inside his home. Draw your own conclusions, IMHO I don't think racial bigotry was the chief instigator for the cop taking it upon himself to show up Mr Gates but rather a general attitude of feeling slighted by Mr. Gate's actions and the need to go on an ego trip.

I still believe there was some racial motivation involved i.e. a cop getting sassed by a black guy, a neighbor feeling threatened enough by a hobbled older black guy to call the cops but I think it can all just be chalked up to general police shenanigans and really isn't that big of deal. :facepalm:

• Members

Tommy has made some of the most sound points in this thread. I have a sneaking suspicion the words "Do you have any idea who I am?" or some variant thereof may have come from the professors mouth.

Secondly, in the neighbourhood where he lives, I'm certain his neighbours know who he is etc etc. If I had just returned from china I'd be a cranky old bastard too, and getting bothered by the police when you're an aging man would get me being a tad pushy about "who I am" as well.

Thirdly, the cops acted like jack asses when they asked him to come out of the house and arrested him for being a prick.

This is like saying a girl who gets raped had it coming because she wore heels and a short skirt out on a saturday night. The professor surely could have chosen his words, but the cops decided to put the hurt on him because he was so unruly as to question their authority.

When he asked "Is it because I'm a black man in America?" This probably didn't help, but in the neighbourhood, with him showing his ID and his background, I think it's reasonable to assume the cop took issue with having a rich, authoritative black man condescend to him and thusly arrested him after conning him out of his house in the night.

Please remember that Mr. Gates has lived through some of the harshest civil rights battles of the last century. The man has seen first hand the firehosings of black men etc etc. This guy is a shining example of what perseverance in the face of absolute racial opposition looks like, and I tend to think that if he has seen it and overcome it this many times in his life to get where he is, that if he calls you on being a racist biggot, your badge ain't gonna protect you from the facts.

now, I'm not one to say "because he has the authority it must be true," but I'm willing ot bet hard cash money that he smelled somthing foul with the officers attending the scene and called it like he saw it. This naturally ticked off the cop, who decided he was gonna show the mouthy prick... and this is the behaviour Obama is cristicising.

Obama is pointing out that after the pissing contest, the cop went on a personal vendetta and penalized the professor to teach him a lesson. This was the "acting stupidly" he's referring to. He is also pointing out that it is reasonable to believe, though he "doesn't know exactly the extent to which race played a role" that racism was present and fuelled the decision making of the police officer.

Obama then points out plainly that racism is often a fuelling factor in the decision making process of our law enforcement officers. This is plain when you see black and latino folks getting the hurt put on them disproportionately by police.

I am just astounded at how bigotted and mediocre some of the intellects in this thread have proven themselves to be.

-Curtis

• Members
This is like saying a girl who gets raped had it coming because she wore heels and a short skirt out on a saturday night.

You do know there are guys on here that would seriously support this statement right?
Seriously, I've pretty much had that argument on here before.:facepalm:

• Members
Tommy has made some of the most sound points in this thread. I have a sneaking suspicion the words "Do you have any idea who I am?" or some variant thereof may have come from the professors mouth.

Secondly, in the neighbourhood where he lives, I'm certain his neighbours know who he is etc etc. If I had just returned from china I'd be a cranky old bastard too, and getting bothered by the police when you're an aging man would get me being a tad pushy about "who I am" as well.

Thirdly, the cops acted like jack asses when they asked him to come out of the house and arrested him for being a prick.

This is like saying a girl who gets raped had it coming because she wore heels and a short skirt out on a saturday night. The professor surely could have chosen his words, but the cops decided to put the hurt on him because he was so unruly as to question their authority.

When he asked "Is it because I'm a black man in America?" This probably didn't help, but in the neighbourhood, with him showing his ID and his background, I think it's reasonable to assume the cop took issue with having a rich, authoritative black man condescend to him and thusly arrested him after conning him out of his house in the night.

Please remember that Mr. Gates has lived through some of the harshest civil rights battles of the last century. The man has seen first hand the firehosings of black men etc etc. This guy is a shining example of what perseverance in the face of absolute racial opposition looks like, and I tend to think that if he has seen it and overcome it this many times in his life to get where he is, that if he calls you on being a racist biggot, your badge ain't gonna protect you from the facts.

now, I'm not one to say "because he has the authority it must be true," but I'm willing ot bet hard cash money that he smelled somthing foul with the officers attending the scene and called it like he saw it. This naturally ticked off the cop, who decided he was gonna show the mouthy prick... and this is the behaviour Obama is cristicising.

Obama is pointing out that after the pissing contest, the cop went on a personal vendetta and penalized the professor to teach him a lesson. This was the "acting stupidly" he's referring to. He is also pointing out that it is reasonable to believe, though he "doesn't know exactly the extent to which race played a role" that racism was present and fuelled the decision making of the police officer.

Obama then points out plainly that racism is often a fuelling factor in the decision making process of our law enforcement officers. This is plain when you see black and latino folks getting the hurt put on them disproportionately by police.

I am just astounded at how bigotted and mediocre some of the intellects in this thread have proven themselves to be.

-Curtis

Curtis
:love:
:thu:

• Members

I'm confused by this accusation as well.

The whole post was to the effect of "The President's black, so of course he agrees with the black guy for that reason". Look, the colors match! Just like {censored}ing Concentration!

Archived