Mastodon Crack the Skye is

redeye5

• Members

This is when I have to say-- who gives a {censored}?

If it's better musically, why does it matter if it's more or less heavy? As musicians, shouldn't the overall "musicality" rank of higher importance than a quality like "heaviness"?

I listen to metal because it's heavy. If the only thing I cared about was musicality, I would listen to Umphrey's Mcgee all the time.

• Members

I am always for progression, I just wish they would have kept the music more guitar and drum oriented. I have to listen with headphones to hear both guitars, and I think that is a problem you should never have.

Sorry I mistook a part of your post. I understand the complaint. I just like the direction a lot and probably overlook some things a bit. The album works out great as a whole to me, though I hope on their next one there are a couple songs that will have fans more into their previous albums feeling pretty good about it. :cool:

• Members

I didn't care for it or blood mountain, the only album I can even tolerate is Leviathan, but even then I don't get the mastodon hype.

And I've never heard a mastodon song that was "epic"

i barely believe you've listened to Leviathan, then.

if you can listen to Hearts Alive and say that song isn't epic as {censored}, then you are more fail than man.

• Members

it's brilliant

I have to agree with this. Mastodon has always been the band I REALLY wanted to like but could never get into. I absolutely hated their screaming vocals and their drummer drove me {censored}in crazy. The dude could never find a groove. It was a drum solo over every song. BUT....this new album is amazing. I love everything about it. Guitar tone is great. Songwriting is solid. Vocals I LOVE. And the drummer chilled out. Oblivion is my favorite song that has came out in a long time

• Members

I'll take Remission anyday. Young sweaty men just {censored}in' {censored} up. That's what music is all about.

funny, i always thought music was about the expression of thoughts, ideas, or emotions through sound, rather than being the same as mexican wrestling match.

:idk::idk::idk:

shows what i know.

• Members

I have to agree with this. Mastodon has always been the band I REALLY wanted to like but could never get into. I absolutely hated their screaming vocals and their drummer drove me {censored}in crazy. The dude could never find a groove. It was a drum solo over every song. BUT....this new album is amazing. I love everything about it. Guitar tone is great. Songwriting is solid. Vocals I LOVE. And the drummer chilled out. Oblivion is my favorite song that has came out in a long time

i think the drums are even more all over the place on this album. everytime i start groovin with a part he seems to change it up

• Members

+100

Tried getting into them but even Leviathan kind of left feeling meh....but Crack the Skye is superb and Oblivion is just a brilliant track....I just wish the production was a bit better :wave:

• Members

I can't listen to parts or one song off that album.

I only put it on when I can do the entire thing through. Totally different, and much better experience.

I think that's kinda how they intended it to go. It flows very nicely. I think of it as kind of a rock suite, but not in a gay-ass Green Day way. :thu:

I definitely didn't like it at first either. Not even sorta. Troy is a lot lower in the mix this time around, and more "flat"... :cry::cry: He had major edge and bite on Blood Mountain.

• Members

I can't listen to parts or one song off that album.

I only put it on when I can do the entire thing through. Totally different, and much better experience.

I think that's kinda how they intended it to go. It flows very nicely. I think of it as kind of a rock suite, but not in a gay-ass Green Day way.
:thu:

I definitely didn't like it at first either. Not even sorta. Troy is a lot lower in the mix this time around, and more "flat"...
:cry:
:cry: He had major edge and bite on
Blood Mountain

yeah, i like blood mountain's production better.

• Members

i barely believe you've listened to Leviathan, then.

if you can listen to Hearts Alive and say that song isn't epic as {censored}, then you are more fail than man.

I remember when I saw them supporting Leviathan and then opened their set with Hearts Alive, probably my favorite song of theirs. But they walk on stage with the waves and Brent just starts the song, no introduction or anything and they bust into a 14 minute epic, {censored}ing bad ass

Archived