I'm thinking of going to the dark side...

guitarbilly74

• Members

and get a Spider Valve. The guitar player in the band that played with us last night at the Whiskey was using one and he got great tones out of it. Well no big deal, my rig sounded great too. BUT what was really cool about it was once he was done playing, all he had to do is unplug the guitar, the floorboard and the cab and he was ready to go. It makes life SO simple, specially on gigs where you have to set up /tear down quick.

Should I do it???

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I know that the "regular" Spider is about to go up to version IV...ValveSpider II will not be far behind if L6 stays true to their tradition. However, $400 for a 112 or $450 for a 100w head is very tempting. Too bad there is not a "true" master volume. If you hit a patch that is set wrong, get ready to ensue some wrath or ringing ear drums at the least.

• Members

I know that the "regular" Spider is about to go up to version IV...ValveSpider II will not be far behind if L6 stays true to their tradition. However, $400 for a 112 or $450 for a 100w head is very tempting. Too bad there is not a "true" master volume. If you hit a patch that is set wrong, get ready to ensue some wrath or ringing ear drums at the least.

There is a true, non-programmable, master volume.

• Members

I think what they lack in real-tube feel and tone they more than make up for in portability and ease of set-up. I was plannin on gettin one until I found the Egnater Rebel 20. I don't need 80 different amps and 600 pedals. But at those prices I may have to see what I can do. Cause that 112 would still be easier to move than the Rebel+Cab. Hmmmmm

• Members

What are you currently running that's so cumbersome to setup and teardown? I've been just plugging straight in lately and it's really quite liberating. Me and my mesa with a Les Paul straight in.

well it's not THAT cumbersome.. I have a cable from the guitar to the pedal board, 1 cable from the board to the front of the amp, then 2 cables between the fx loop and the board, a footswitch cable and a extension cord from the back of the stage to the pedal board.

So 5 cables and the extension cord. Not that bad, but it would be WAY easier with a rig like the SV.

• Members

I was very impressed with that PG review. Very solid tones for sure. I kind of wonder CME if this is typical of all tube amps that in order for the feel to really happen, you have to get the power section cooking. I am not going any time soon, but the next time I am there, I will go bonkers in GC and see what its like at gig volumes.

• Members

There is a true, non-programmable, master volume.

What I think he means is that unless you go through and program the patches to have the same output volume, you'll get blasted.

Especially if you accidently flip to an OEM patch after setting your own, or decide to scroll through them...because they are not even in their output.

• Members

What I think he means is that unless you go through and program the patches to have the same output volume, you'll get blasted.

Especially if you accidently flip to an OEM patch after setting your own, or decide to scroll through them...because they are not even in their output.

Could be. That shouldn't be a problem for me as I plan to have 4 tones created from scratch and just using them... basically a 4 channel amp with effects.

I don't think I'd ever touch the presets.

• Members

well it's not THAT cumbersome.. I have a cable from the guitar to the pedal board, 1 cable from the board to the front of the amp, then 2 cables between the fx loop and the board, a footswitch cable and a extension cord from the back of the stage to the pedal board.

So 5 cables and the extension cord. Not that bad, but it would be WAY easier with a rig like the SV.

You need one of my cool little custom snakes.

• Members

Okay please enlighten me as to the make up of the Spider Valve, Is it a digital modeler with a full 6L6 power section and partial tube preamp? IOW 2 or 4(depending on wattage) power tube and just a couple of 12ax7s in the preamp, or what. Does it have atleast 1 tube gain stage or :idk: is it the just the effects that make it shunned by the elite guitar collective or whaaaaaaa:idk:Seriously, Inquiring minds want to know.

Archived