What exactly is "negative feedback" in an amp?

petejt

• Members

It's when a sample of the output from the amp is feedback to some stage earlier in the amp, usually the phase inverter in push pull amps.

It's called negative as it is feed to a stage so that it will be invertered compared to the normal signal at that point.

It has the effect of reducing the gain and reducing the distortion produced in the power amp. The resonance and presence controls work to reduce the amount of this signal feedback in the low and high end, thus increasing low end and high end gain in the power amp.

It also reduces the output impedance of the amp which has the effect of make the amp feel tighter and more controlled, as the amp will have tighter control over the speaker.

Amps like most Voxes and most single ended amps don't have negative feedback in the power amp, and this is a big factor as to why the sound like they do.

Negative feedback works works great in amps for rock and metal and it focuses the tone and make the amp feel tighter, no feedback well for blues as a looser feel sounds good for blues.

• Members

Negative feedback occurs when the output of a system acts to oppose changes to the input of the system; with the result that the changes are attenuated. If the overall feedback of the system is negative, then the system will tend to be stable.

Cool copy and paste huh :facepalm:

• Members

It is hard to say if more, or less negative feedback is a good thing. It will make it sound different, and can change the charactor the the whole amp. My Peters has a controll for dampening (feedback), and you can really hear the difference.

• Members

I can't explain what it is technically , but as a guitarist, I can say it affects the power amp tone A LOT

it's a circuit that comes back from the speaker output to the phase inverter

this circuit usually has 3 basic stuff:

- the negative feedback resistor

- presence circuit

- depth/resonance circuit

all of them can be wired as variable controls or fixed values

I guess I don't need to explain what the depth and presence do, but the negative feedback resistor alone (if it has a capacitor in parallel with it, then it's a fixed value depth/resonance) determines the amount of low end and power amp distortion

lower values = higher negative feedback = cleaner, louder, dryer, more articulated power amp response, more peaky high end

higher values = lower negative feedback = growlier, deeper, smoother, less defined power amp response

• Members

Thanks for your help folks :thu: . I'll keep reading through it all and absorb it, so I can better understand what it means.

The reason too why I bring it up, is that I've read that Negative Feedback is a key factor in Mesa/Boogie's Rectifier series amps. and since I want to get the Recto 2:100 poweramp, I'd like to know more about it.

With the Recto, ANY Recto, is the Negative feedback increased/decreased in particular modes? Is that the difference between Orange Mode and Red/Modern Mode?

• Members

It is hard to say if more, or less negative feedback is a good thing. It will make it sound different, and can change the charactor the the whole amp. My Peters has a controll for dampening (feedback), and you can really hear the difference.

So are you saying that increasing the Damping/Dampening LOWERS the negative feedback in the poweramp? Or RAISES the negative feedback?

• Members

higher values = lower negative feedback = growlier, deeper, smoother, less defined power amp response

So are you saying that engaging the Modern Mode on a Recto, sets a higher capacitance, resulting in lower negative feedback and therefore the growlier, deeper, smoother less definied poweramp response you described?

[/center]

• Members

So are you saying that increasing the Damping/Dampening LOWERS the negative feedback in the poweramp? Or RAISES the negative feedback?

Dampening doesn't change the feedback, feedback changes the dampening. The "dampening control" allows you to change the dampening by adjusting the amount of feedback.

• Members

Dampening doesn't change the feedback, feedback changes the dampening. The "dampening control" allows you to change the dampening by adjusting the amount of feedback.

Exactly. higher dampening = more feedback.

On my Peters clockwise means less feedback. You can really hear the voice of the amp change when you move that knob. You can go from a smoother sound to a much more aggressive feel, and sound. My amp has a switch for resonance/dampening. I always leave it on dampening since I find that controll is more powerful. You can get more low end from the tone stack, eq in the loop, different speakers etc, but there is no external effect that can controll the dampening.

from Peters Amplification website

"A mini toggle switch below the Depth control allows this to be used as a "damping" control (when switched to the left), changing the overall amount of output damping. Less damping (clockwise) gives a more aggressive/deeper sound while more damping (counterclockwise) gives a softer/mellower sound. Using this control as a "damping" control makes it easier to tailor the response the amp achieves with different speaker cabinets, or to compensate for different acoustic environments. "

Archived