How to make your 5150/6505(II/+) sound amazing. Fizz not included.

Chrisjd

• Members

meh, I think cutting too much of the 200-250 range on the II's or + is a bit much. I think it thins out the low mids too much...Boosting the 100Hz slider (the one "all the way to the left") and then cutting the low mids seems a bit counterproductive from a band/mix standpoint.

Also, I run my mids on 3.

Once the post gain is above 2 on these, though, I'm at a loss as to how anyone can say these amps are any more "fizzy" than any other high gain amp. At low volumes, I think a Recto is far worse at the fizz game, but again, once the amp is at a sufficient volume, it becomes less of an issue.

If you leave the amp on standby for 45 minutes- an hour before starting to play, the fizz largely goes away as well, even with post gain at 1...let those tubes heat up!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

meh, I think cutting too much of the 200-250 range on the II's or + is a bit much. I think it thins out the low mids too much...Boosting the 100Hz slider (the one "all the way to the left") and then cutting the low mids seems a bit counterproductive from a band/mix standpoint.

Also, I run my mids on 3.

I didn't say suck it all out, but pulling some of it out, especially on the original, really takes away any cloudiness in the tone, makes it less congested sounding. boosting the 100hz is essentially like having another resonance knob....

Once the post gain is above 2 on these, though, I'm at a loss as to how anyone can say these amps are any more "fizzy" than any other high gain amp. At low volumes, I think a Recto is far worse at the fizz game, but again, once the amp is at a sufficient volume, it becomes less of an issue.

I agree with you here.

• Members

I didn't say suck it all out, but pulling some of it out, especially on the original, really takes away any cloudiness in the tone, makes it less congested sounding. boosting the 100hz is essentially like having another resonance knob....

I agree with you here.

Yeah, on the original, maybe, but I just wouldn't pull much (if any) out on the II or +. IMO, the idea of sucking a bit out of the 200Hz range on a regular 5150 is going to make it sound MORE like a 5150II. IMO, what I hear in contrast most between the 2 in the lows and mids is that the regular 5150 seems to have a nice amount of low mids and decent bass, but the 5150II seems to have a touch more "sub bass" for lack of a better word, and a bit less low mids (or the mids are pushed into a higher frequency range). At one point when I had both a 5150 and my 6505+ side by side using my ABY pedal, I set them at exactly the same EQ points on the lead channel, with the 5150 pre gain at 6, the 6505+ pre gain at 7 and just went back and forth. The low end and low mids of the 5150 were there, but when I would switch to the 6505+, it seemed tigher (due to the decreased low mids), but palm mutes seemed to "thud" a bit more, and there seemed to be a nicer REAL low thump going on. It seemed to fill the room more with an extended low end rumble.

• Members

If you leave the amp on standby for 45 minutes- an hour before starting to play, the fizz largely goes away as well, even with post gain at 1...let those tubes heat up!!

Totally unnecessary to let the amp warm up for 45 minutes. Hell, by the time 45 minutes passes, I may have forgot I even turned the amp on, or I may not even feel like playing at all. :poke:

• Members

I have to completely cut my 2KHz and 4KHz or else I get a real harsh ear piercing highs. :idk:

• Members

People are constantly looking for their 5150/6505 settings. I am going to give them to you, along with a big secret that will make your peavey sound a LOT better.

First of all, go by yourself a damn EQ pedal. I don't care if its a boss, MXR, or whatever, but go buy one. You put this pedal in your fx loop.

Now, take that pedal, and suck out some of the frequency that is closest to 250 hz. This is going to clear the amp right up, make it sound less boxy and cloudy/congested. Also, feel free to bump the slider all the way on the left up a bit and it will make your pants shake when you mute.

Onto the amp settings.

If you are using a nice hot pickup, in the realm of a Dimarzio evo, duncan distortion, emg 81 etc, you don't need that much gain.

Lead channels, UNBOOSTED( I really don't like boosting this amp, unless it is the crunch channel.)

5150/6505

Pre Gain: 4-4.5

low: 6

Mid: 6

Treble: 6

Resonance: 6-7

Presence: 5-7

Post to taste.

5150II/6505+

Pre gain: 5.5-6

low: 6.5

mid: 6

treble: 6

resonance: 7

presence: 5-7

post to taste.

Run this {censored} through a vintage 30 cab, i don't care what kind. G12-t75s work nicely too. I suppose these newly revered G12k100s would be good too. The 5150/6505 likes speakers with higher wattage ratings.

Voila

now go try this and report back.

:thu::love:

• Members

So much fun with this amp today. :thu: I did come to one conclusion though, I need a better EQ. I don't like this Boss GE-7 anymore. I didn't like the MXR 7 band one either, I took that back the day I bought it. One slider only dogs can hear the frequency, because I sure can't. Lulz.

• Members

People are constantly looking for their 5150/6505 settings. I am going to give them to you, along with a big secret that will make your peavey sound a LOT better.

First of all, go by yourself a damn EQ pedal. I don't care if its a boss, MXR, or whatever, but go buy one. You put this pedal in your fx loop.

Now, take that pedal, and suck out some of the frequency that is closest to 250 hz. This is going to clear the amp right up, make it sound less boxy and cloudy/congested. Also, feel free to bump the slider all the way on the left up a bit and it will make your pants shake when you mute.

Onto the amp settings.

If you are using a nice hot pickup, in the realm of a Dimarzio evo, duncan distortion, emg 81 etc, you don't need that much gain.

Lead channels, UNBOOSTED( I really don't like boosting this amp, unless it is the crunch channel.)

5150/6505

Pre Gain: 4-4.5

low: 6

Mid: 6

Treble: 6

Resonance: 6-7

Presence: 5-7

Post to taste.

5150II/6505+

Pre gain: 5.5-6

low: 6.5

mid: 6

treble: 6

resonance: 7

presence: 5-7

post to taste.

Run this {censored} through a vintage 30 cab, i don't care what kind. G12-t75s work nicely too. I suppose these newly revered G12k100s would be good too. The 5150/6505 likes speakers with higher wattage ratings.

Voila

now go try this and report back.

Other than the specific amp settings, this is true for 90% of amps.

• Members

i always seem to be using darker settings than most but it still sounds crisp to me... last nights practice was

gain:2.5 with a boost

bass:4

mids:8

treb:4

res:5-6

pres:7ish

master:3-4

i only use an eq in the loop to cut bass and boost 1-2k for solos. it sounds dry on paper, but with three guitarists, its sweet.

• Members

i always seem to be using darker settings than most but it still sounds crisp to me... last nights practice was

gain:2.5 with a boost

bass:4

mids:8

treb:4

res:5-6

pres:7ish

master:3-4

i only use an eq in the loop to cut bass and boost 1-2k for solos. it sounds dry on paper, but with three guitarists, its sweet.

Meh, boosted with vintage 30s and a brighter pickup and you no longer have a dark tone.

Archived