How to make your 5150/6505(II/+) sound amazing. Fizz not included.

Chrisjd

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I get awesome sounds out of my 5150 with no pedals are nothing. EMG 81, a vintage 30 cabinet of traditional size.

pre 5

low 8

mid 5

high 5.5

post w/e

res 8

pres 5

(of course you're not gonna sound like me unless you use my tuning, settings, cabinet, 17year old peavey tubes...etc)

• Members

Lead channel, no boost.

gain 5

low 9

mid 7

high 3

presence 1

resonance 9

this is how I've been running mine for a while. A little delay and noise suppression in the loop.

Doo eeet.

Oh yeah... Greenback reissues in the cab.

Dark and meaty like Grandma's pot roast.

I like your style.

• Members

When I had a 5150, I discovered one amazing tweak to make the "fizz" go away entirely and make the amp roar like MAD: Turn the volume UP! It's a 120W tube amp, people! Of course a super, super high gain modern tube amp will sound fizzy at bedroom volumes. Turn the Post volume past 5, at least, and you'll be in a whole new realm of awesomeness.

past 5? :facepalm:

• Members

Hey noobs, is the dan electro fish and chips decent?

(it has no 250.. but has 200, is that too far from 250 or still good?)

*edit* I'm looking now and most 7 bands go from 200 to 400, the mxr 10 band hits 250 right on the dick. If only I had money

• Members

Lead channel, no boost.

gain 5

low 9

mid 7

high 3

presence 1

resonance 9

this is how I've been running mine for a while. A little delay and noise suppression in the loop.

Doo eeet.

Oh yeah... Greenback reissues in the cab.

Dark and meaty like Grandma's pot roast.

I'm pretty close to this. I only use my 5150 with my band but my settings are around:

(lead no boost)

Pre 5.5

Low 7

Mid 6

High 3

Post 4

Res 8

Pres 1

Vintage 30 loaded Diezel cab with a rocktron replifex in the loop for reverb, delay, etc...

I think the big question in this thread is how do you set up your cleans?? I always have the bright switch in, sometimes i leave the crunch out with the pre on 2-3 and post around 5-6 or the crunch in with the pre on 1 and post on 4-5. Lately I've been digging just using the neck pup on my LP with the volume pot low.

• Members

:rolleyes:

What's wrong with that? If you can, then why the fuck not?

maybe it's the old tubes but anything past 3.5 on the post on mine starts to sound worse :facepalm: oh well...

I simply said that because I already know people are gonna say "that sounds like shit hahhaa jew are a noob!" :facepalm:

• Members

maybe it's the old tubes but anything past 3.5 on the post on mine starts to sound worse
:facepalm:
oh well...

You can get away with playing probably almost anywhere on 3.5, but I would go to 5 if I could.

And I would say without hesitation that it's your tubes, because tube amps only get better the louder they get.

• Members

You can get away with playing probably almost anywhere on 3.5, but I would go to 5 if I could.

And I would say without hesitation that it's your tubes, because tube amps only get better the louder they get.

Ya it's the tubes for sure... you don't even have to play loud dude!

post on 2 in my room is like the loudest I go when parents are home... post on 2 in an open room like my living room is sooo loud just because the rooms bigger LOL.

I remember when I saw KsE's post gain on there 5150's live (picture that I have now lost :mad::cry:) it was 2 and a half... I guess it's a live show thing, my friends bands play on like 3 or 4 at bars... but when they played a bigger show with bring me the horizon they also played on 2.5 :idk:

• Members

People are constantly looking for their 5150/6505 settings. I am going to give them to you, along with a big secret that will make your peavey sound a LOT better.

First of all, go by yourself a damn EQ pedal. I don't care if its a boss, MXR, or whatever, but go buy one. You put this pedal in your fx loop.

Now, take that pedal, and suck out some of the frequency that is closest to 250 hz. This is going to clear the amp right up, make it sound less boxy and cloudy/congested. Also, feel free to bump the slider all the way on the left up a bit and it will make your pants shake when you mute.

Onto the amp settings.

If you are using a nice hot pickup, in the realm of a Dimarzio evo, duncan distortion, emg 81 etc, you don't need that much gain.

Lead channels, UNBOOSTED

5150/6505

Pre Gain: 4-4.5

low: 6

Mid: 6

Treble: 6

Resonance: 6-7

Presence: 5-7

Post to taste.

5150II/6505+

Pre gain: 5.5-6

low: 6.5

mid: 6

treble: 6

resonance: 7

presence: 5-7

post to taste.

Run this {censored} through a vintage 30 cab, i don't care what kind. G12-t75s work nicely too. I suppose these newly revered G12k100s would be good too.

Voila

now go try this and report back.

The exact same settings I run except I prefer a little less mids (like on 5 or so).

• Members

I might try using the parametric eq in the replifex to take out the 250hz like you guys are saying, but won't that take away a little of the thickness?

Not really, it just makes the amp sound a LOT less boxy, and also allows you to hear a few other subleties that you otherwise have a harder time hearing. It refines the tone a bit as well.

• Members

you see KSE when you become a man. . . . wait. . . .

when you get a boyfriend that will buy you two a house youll be able to turn it up past 5.

Why would I turn it up to five anyways, read what I said.

"it sounds bad after 4 or 5" was my quote I believe and firggen 3.5 is WELL LOUD enough. My tubes need to be replaced because they're old... even when they do change I'm not going past 4 :facepalm:

Turn it up to 6 if you want bro, your dick will still be half that size in inches.

• Members

Why would I turn it up to five anyways, read what I said.

"it sounds bad after 4 or 5" was my quote I believe and firggen 3.5 is WELL LOUD enough. My tubes need to be replaced because they're old... even when they do change I'm not going past 4
:facepalm:
Turn it up to 6 if you want bro, your dick will still be half that size in inches.

KelsoBURN2.jpg

• Members

:lol:
I see a new HCAF trend in the near future.

Besides wouldn't turning it up that high result in power tube saturation which isn't desirable in metal? Just wondering.
:confused:

Maybe that's it... but seeing as my tube are old and the other guys seem to say past 5 sounds good I'm gonna say it's my tubes but you're possibly right!

• Members

Maybe that's it... but seeing as my tube are old and the other guys seem to say past 5 sounds good I'm gonna say it's my tubes but you're possibly right!

Who knows where the tubes saturate but it's kind of similar to SS clipping that's why I only turn up my Bandit to 4 (which is loud enough for most situations).

But if you're turning up a 5150 past 5 I really can't imagine what situation you're in that calls for that. I tried it on Post 2 and holy shite it's loud! :eek:

Archived