How to make your 5150/6505(II/+) sound amazing. Fizz not included.

Chrisjd

• Members

Who knows where the tubes saturate but it's kind of similar to SS clipping that's why I only turn up my Bandit to 4 (which is loud enough for most situations).

But if you're turning up a 5150 past 5 I really can't imagine what situation you're in that calls for that. I tried it on Post 2 and holy {censored}e it's loud!
:eek:

this.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wouldn't put it out of the question that it may also be that everything in your house, the walls, the ceiling and the ground beneath you shaking could be a slight problem when it comes to vibes.

But I guess when you've deafened yourself enough to stand cranking it that loud, that's no biggie.

• Members

I wouldn't put it out of the question that it may also be that everything in your house, the walls, the ceiling and the ground beneath you shaking could be a slight problem when it comes to vibes.

But I guess when you've deafened yourself enough to stand cranking it that loud, that's no biggie.

The rattling could be annoying and make it feel weird but I don't see how that HUGELY impacts tone.

• Members

i ran mine:

Lead

Clean Boost

Pregain:4

Bass: 6-7

Mids: 7

Treble 5-7

Presence 7

Resonance 7

Post gain 3.2??

haha...i never took it past 4 at the very most...damn that amp would {censored}ing slay people in volume..i know a guy that plays on like 5.5 and i think its insane...so {censored}ing loud...

my 5150 was biased as well

• Members

Hey noobs, is the dan electro fish and chips decent?

(it has no 250.. but has 200, is that too far from 250 or still good?)

*edit* I'm looking now and most 7 bands go from 200 to 400, the mxr 10 band hits 250 right on the dick. If only I had money

The sliders affect the frequencies around them ie. a 200Hz slider actually controls the area between 100-300 Hz.

• Members

I'm pretty close to this. I only use my 5150 with my band but my settings are around:

(lead no boost)

Pre 5.5

Low 7

Mid 6

High 3

Post 4

Res 8

Pres 1

Vintage 30 loaded Diezel cab with a rocktron replifex in the loop for reverb, delay, etc...

I think the big question in this thread is how do you set up your cleans?? I always have the bright switch in, sometimes i leave the crunch out with the pre on 2-3 and post around 5-6 or the crunch in with the pre on 1 and post on 4-5. Lately I've been digging just using the neck pup on my LP with the volume pot low.

For clean, bright switch in, gain 2... I have the original 5150, so the EQ is common to both channels. I never really go all that clean, but if needs be, I roll off the volume on the guitar a bit.

I see we think a lot alike. Right down to the blues and metal. :thu:

• Members

Your settings are nice Chris but the REAL secret to making that amp, or any amp for that matter, is the EQ pedal in the loop. It just adds double the awesomeness to your sound. That goes for anything audio. One of the first things I do when I get a new stereo system in my car is install a GEQ.

• Members

For clean if you want an actual decent clean: (5150/6505)

Rhythm Post gain: 4

Rhythm Pre Gain 1.5

crunch not engaged

bright engaged.

EQ w/e you want.

Same technique on 5150 II/6505+ will work but with even better results.

• Members

If by "whole new realm of awesomeness" you mean "barred from ever playing at the venue again", or "visits from your friendly neighborhood cop," sure.

No way, the power section is just for clean power and doesn't need to be driven to clipping to sound good in a live mix. Just needs to be opened up it a bit.

• Members

No way, the power section is just for clean power and doesn't need to be driven to clipping to sound good in a live mix. Just needs to be opened up it a bit.

Agreed. I think the 5150 sounds great at lower volumes myself.

• Members

meh, I think cutting too much of the 200-250 range on the II's or + is a bit much. I think it thins out the low mids too much...Boosting the 100Hz slider (the one "all the way to the left") and then cutting the low mids seems a bit counterproductive from a band/mix standpoint.

Also, I run my mids on 3.

Once the post gain is above 2 on these, though, I'm at a loss as to how anyone can say these amps are any more "fizzy" than any other high gain amp. At low volumes, I think a Recto is far worse at the fizz game, but again, once the amp is at a sufficient volume, it becomes less of an issue.

Archived