How to make your 5150/6505(II/+) sound amazing. Fizz not included.

Chrisjd

• Members

People are constantly looking for their 5150/6505 settings. I am going to give them to you, along with a big secret that will make your peavey sound a LOT better.

First of all, go by yourself a damn EQ pedal. I don't care if its a boss, MXR, or whatever, but go buy one. You put this pedal in your fx loop.

Now, take that pedal, and suck out some of the frequency that is closest to 250 hz. This is going to clear the amp right up, make it sound less boxy and cloudy/congested. Also, feel free to bump the slider all the way on the left up a bit and it will make your pants shake when you mute.

Onto the amp settings.

If you are using a nice hot pickup, in the realm of a Dimarzio evo, duncan distortion, emg 81 etc, you don't need that much gain.

Lead channels, UNBOOSTED( I really don't like boosting this amp, unless it is the crunch channel.)

5150/6505

Pre Gain: 4-4.5

low: 6

Mid: 6

Treble: 6

Resonance: 6-7

Presence: 5-7

Post to taste.

5150II/6505+

Pre gain: 5.5-6

low: 6.5

mid: 6

treble: 6

resonance: 7

presence: 5-7

post to taste.

Run this {censored} through a vintage 30 cab, i don't care what kind. G12-t75s work nicely too. I suppose these newly revered G12k100s would be good too. The 5150/6505 likes speakers with higher wattage ratings.

Voila

now go try this and report back.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

+1

When I had my 5150 those are almost the exact settings I used to make it sound it's best, but in the end, I just wasn't satisfied with it. Now I'm hoping to but my order in for a Titan ASAP! :rawk:

btw, if and when I do get my Titan, I'll need advice in getting a little recording set up together so I can make some clips for you guys. :thu:

• Members

Just to add to this, the presence is a funny thing, there is a point where it goes from a little to change to a swarm.

I know on my combo I have to be extra careful with the presence to get the sound I want.

Good post.

• Members

I never really had much fizz with my 6505 and i owned 4 of them, i play them boosted and my settings are close to the ones posted in this thread. i use a mesa traditional 4x12 and a uberkab. i think its a great amp and i like it better than most of the expensive amps i have owned over the years.

i see people complain about buzzy and fizzy tones but it just depends on how you dial it and how loud you play it.

• Members

That is really good advice i wish i had when i first got the 6505+. Wasn't till recently i started using similar settings. Mine are a little different with the pre and post on the lead at 3.5 and sounds clear but very punch at the same time. I run the bass and treble at 6 and the mids at 7.5. The resonance and presence at noon. I also have a vader cab so that might be were some of the differences are from. Since making this change i have been getting complements from people after shows about the tone of the amp and how they could never get it to sound that good. They also had the pre gain up to 8 and were scooping it like crazy.

• Members

wow, that's way dark IMO

my 5150 really starting kicking ass when the Presence reaches 9. the amp totally change character.

nasty.. Presence that high sounds like poo.. And change the character? Why? Seems like you are trying to copy Sneaps idea of tone with a 5150..

This is with the combo, but the Presence is low and I used stock Sheffield speakers...:eek: Most n00bs don't know how to get em to work for themselves.. Also no EQ in the loop, but I did cut a little in the the 400hz range in post processing..

http://wosmusic666.googlepages.com/HateOnHateTrack01.mp3

• Members

badass {censored}ing song, endtime!!!

I dont really have that much fizz....people complain too much about this amp, i think. you can get excellent tones out of it, and for the price, it really cannot be beat for metal tones. i keep the pre on 4-5, lo-7, mid-5, hi-5, res-7, and pres-5, and i have little to no fizz, depending on volume....using g12k100s.

• Members

When I had a 5150, I discovered one amazing tweak to make the "fizz" go away entirely and make the amp roar like MAD: Turn the volume UP! It's a 120W tube amp, people! Of course a super, super high gain modern tube amp will sound fizzy at bedroom volumes. Turn the Post volume past 5, at least, and you'll be in a whole new realm of awesomeness.

• Members

When I had a 5150, I discovered one amazing tweak to make the "fizz" go away entirely and make the amp roar like MAD: Turn the volume UP! It's a 120W tube amp, people! Of course a super, super high gain modern tube amp will sound fizzy at bedroom volumes.
Turn the Post volume past 5, at least, and you'll be in a whole new realm of awesomeness

WERD :thu:

Turn the post volumes up high, and add pre to suit

Archived