OT: For the Older guys on here....

Chrisjd

• Members

I will be turning 26 in a few weeks, seems like time is starting to fly. Don't know that I want to get older.

I have a few friends who are older than me, some in their mid 30s. I hear a lot of them gripe about feeling like they have slowed down a bit, that their bodies hold onto weight easier, and that they can't abuse themselves like they once could.

What are your thoughts on this? Are these observations true for many of you? Or is it more an issue of people becoming more sedentary as they age, thus not taking care of themselves?

Scares me to think of declining physically.....

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Your body is obviously going to get worse with time. Not that I have any personal experience as I'm only 23 but I can imagine it really hits you around 40.

I know what you mean about time flying though and why people say live for the moment. I still feel 18 and I just know I'm gonna regret not using my early 20's more productively.

• Members

Well unless you are some kind of genetic freak, then your metabolism and testosterone levels will slow down, parts start to wear down, etc. This is just a fact. Whether you feel old or not is up to you.

I can definitely say that it takes more work than it used to to stay fit. The flip side of that is I have set new challenges for myself, and as a result, have ended up in what is arguably the best shape of my life.

But yeah...if you don't take care of yourself, then as you age, you are guaranteed to start looking and feeling like {censored}.

• Members

My experience is ... dovetailing into what Chris said ... you have to be more mindful of your lifestyle and its effect upon your body/health. As such, I have a pretty good lifestyle, eat well, exercise regularly and for 51 I'm in reasonable shape (tho I could be living in a delusional little bubble).

However, the big thing about being an old coot is it takes longer to recover from injuries, alcohol etc. which I'm unfortunately experiencing this very morning -- teh suck. :mad:

• Members

things do change after 30 for sure. My metabolism and test levels definitively dropped as in easier weight gain, more fat around the midsection, sex drive down, less aggressive...but what i have noticed is that when your mind isnt thinking about {censored} 24/7 you can actually devote attention to other thoughts that actually build you as a person. Yes your body will slow down a bit, especially if you train any sport where your body needs time to recover. I remember earlier this year i was training bjj until my old ass knee blew out, but i remember how {censored}ing sore my neck and shoulders were after the first 3 times. If i were in my early 20's i would have recovered the next day or two instead i felt it for a week. Eat sensibly, {censored} good {censored}, dont smoke, dont do drugs, and drink moderatly, and most importantly enjoy life outside of your workplace, you wont age a day.

• Members

It's simple. In your teens/20s, most people don't need much physical activity to stay in shape and keep feeling good. Once you get into your 30s, you will put on weight, lose energy and eventually have health problems unless you get off your ass and do something about it. The longer you let yourself go, the harder that'll be.

I'm 48, and my 30s were the best time of my life.

• Members

Turned 28 in May. I am in the best shape of my life. I do hold onto weight more if I drink and eat like {censored} like I used to be able to, but otherwise I am stronger and leaner when I eat and work out like normal. I dont know if I have become more succeptable to injury due to age, or because I picked up jiu jitsu :lol:

• Members

I'm almost twice your age and feel as good as I did in my 20s, perhaps better.
I've had a few things break down and can't see as well as I used to, but don't feel like I'm slowing down any. Eat well, take care of yourself, don't smoke and don't let yourself get fat and you'll likely be fine.

Archived