OT: For the Older guys on here....

Chrisjd

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh, and back to serious:

I think the secret to feeling good as you get older is no big secret.

Don't work at a labouring job. Hard physical labour, even if you're a a well paid tradesman, will {censored} up your body in the long run.

Moderation in eating, drinking, drugging.

Regular exercise. Work not=not exercise.

Keep playing music. It keeps you young at heart and if you're feel young mentally you stay young physically.

Keep your stress levels as low as you can. Stress kills.

Fall in love.

• Members

I turn 38 in about 2 weeks.

I tell younger people to enjoy it(I'm guitar teacher and a lot of my students are in high school or younger). It seems like it takes forever to get through school when your younger. I tell them once you get out of high school someone hits life's 'fast-forward' button and everything accelerates.

I remember thinking I wanted to live fast and die young when I was a teen. my dad would just shake his head. Now that I have a daughter I value it a lot more. Plus I've seen so many friends and family members pass.

I'm kind of on a up turn health wise and feel great, but it hasn't always been that way......to much sittting on my butt playing guitar......but take care of your health.....it's one of the most important things you have.

btw, i turn 38 but I still have the mind of a 14 year old and am motivated by all the same stuff.......just have more responsibilties these days.

• Members

I will be turning 26 in a few weeks, seems like time is starting to fly. Don't know that I want to get older.

I have a few friends who are older than me, some in their mid 30s. I hear a lot of them gripe about feeling like they have slowed down a bit, that their bodies hold onto weight easier, and that they can't abuse themselves like they once could.

What are your thoughts on this? Are these observations true for many of you? Or is it more an issue of people becoming more sedentary as they age, thus not taking care of themselves?

Scares me to think of declining physically.....

Young man, you REALLY had to have your friends tell you this for you to understand the aging process?

There are only so many options available. Genetics, how well you take care of yourself, environmental variables, etc. all determine how long you live, but unless you go early, you're going to eventually feel it unless you're killed, or kill yourself beforehand.

• Members

A bunch of good advice here. I just turned 40 and I feel some of the physical limitations, but I've changed my food intake recently and have lost about 7 lbs in the last two weeks without even really trying. I'm going to join the gym again and do some light weight training and cardio.

It all depends on what you do with your body. When I was 35, I was still playing flag football with the 20-somethings and keeping up with them quite nicely.

• Members

As you get older, your body will require more maintenance. Take care of it now & be smart about what you put in it and you'll have fewer problems later.

There is a lot you can do to fight the decay: Good diet, exercise every day, stimulate your mind, etc. Yeah, there is stuff you can't do anything about... but life is too short to worry about it.

I'm 45. I ride my bike to work most days, 14-15 miles round trip. Can't run/jog anymore because of bad feet but I can still hike around the woods with my family on weekends. Can't eat the ultra-spicy or super-rich stuff I used to because of GERD but I'm probably better off not eating that stuff anyway.

Keep stimulating your mind too, or it will atrophy.

• Members

I'm 32 now. I'm in better shape than I've ever been (mostly because of necessity, building a house is hard work.)

And I never did abuse myself so that's not really an issue.

I started feeling the changes in my late 30's. Like you, my mid-30's self would have whupped the arse of my 21 year old self.

You're as old as you feel.

I'll still be rocking the guitar at age 86, I hope.

That's a nice saying, but the reality of it is that you'll eventually feel the pains of age, which will change the way you "feel," and it's going to happen LONG before your 80's.

• Members

I'm 43 and I've definitely slowed down since I was young. My own fault. I need to watch what I eat and work out more. I'm slowly taking the weight down but it does get harder to lean out as you get older.

The solution is to not let it get out of hand in the first place. Make exercising the same kind of routine/ritual as brushing your teeth. You wouldn't leave the house or go to bed without brushing - don't let the day go by without working out.

• Members

hey chris if it makes you feel any better, at 36 i could kick my 26 year old ass....life gets better as long as you adjust your behavior and habits.

oh {censored} i forgot about vitamins and supplements. I take vitamin C, Calcium Magnesium Zinc, and a multivitamin without iron every day. Before my workouts i take amino acids and after workouts/training i always recooperate with a lite protein shake with very little fat. Stay the {censored} away from sugar after 30.

• Members

I started feeling the changes in my
late 30's
. Like you, my mid-30's self would have whupped the arse of my 21 year old self.

That's a nice saying, but the reality of it is that you'll eventually feel the pains of age, which will change the way you "feel," and it's going to happen LONG before your 80's.

Dude, you look so young. How old are you?

• Members

Get a gym membership, work out no less than 3 times a week for at least an hour. Finish up with 20 minutes on the "elliptical" or treadmill. Take a multivitamin and some anti-oxidant supplements (Fish oil, Flaxseed Oil, CoQ10, Vitamin C, Green Tea Extract). Eat well and you'll be fine. BTW...I'm 53, feel great and look a lot better than the bulk of the 20 something emaciated crowd.

• Members

I'll be 25 this winter and I feel like im in the same boat you are mentally. It's a weird time for me and I feel as if I am growing away from a time in my life I really enjoyed. I play in a band with 2 guys that are 21, and 2 that just turned 20. While it's a small difference...when I was 20 I was getting ready to move away to college.

For me, its all about realizing how great things are for me at the moment. I thorougly enjoyed my college years, and as much as I would love to do it again...I will always have the memories. Now I'm in a great band, have an amazing girlfriend and a job that may not always be what I want, but it's a solid job.

The more you worry about time passing, is just more time that is passing.

• Members

Get a gym membership,
work out no less than 3 times a week
for at least an hour. Finish up with 20 minutes on the "elliptical" or treadmill. Take a multivitamin and some anti-oxidant supplements. Eat well and you'll be fine.

This. We are the only society that is okay with being so lazy that we have obese people riding little buggy machines around because food is a disability for them.

Dogs run and jump and play because it feels good. So do cats. So do birds. SO DO HAMSTERS! We don't expend energy like we did when we were children when the thrill of moving and being fast was only outmatched by the delicious feeling of being exhausted and ready to rest.

Our diets are terrible too. People ask me why I "deprive myself", and my response is "Yeah it tastes good, but it's not what my body needs. I'm depriving myself of what is ACTUALLY GOOD if I don't eat this way."

-Curtis

• Members

You still admirably well last night there ya skinny {censored}! :poke: Izzy are a good sporting feller that's for sure. None you young bucks here think for even a second he couldn't keep up with you kids. From our first hang out two months ago to now, this guy has lost upwards of 40lbs... what can you lazy young dudes, (myself included
:facepalm:
,) say to that?

Kind words but ... I only lost 35 pounds and I'm not skinny, I still has mah shoulders, pipes and pecs etc, even for a short old {censored}. :o

• Members

I'm 42 and I haven't really had an issue with weight, been pretty much the same size all my life regardless of eating/exercise habits. What I have found is that while I can party like a rock star all weekend, it hurts a little bit more each Monday morning. :cry:

• Members

I'll be 25 this winter and I feel like im in the same boat you are mentally. It's a weird time for me and I feel as if I am growing away from a time in my life I really enjoyed. I play in a band with 2 guys that are 21, and 2 that just turned 20. While it's a small difference...when I was 20 I was getting ready to move away to college.

For me, its all about realizing how great things are for me at the moment. I thorougly enjoyed my college years, and as much as I would love to do it again...I will always have the memories. Now I'm in a great band, have an amazing girlfriend and a job that may not always be what I want, but it's a solid job.

The more you worry about time passing, is just more time that is passing.

Well put. I notice 95% of my friends who went to college and graduated, hang on to those years still and seem to get in an early mid life crisis funk. No more big bashes EVERY single weekend, no more banging sluts at said party in the bathroom/bedroom/etc., no more interacting with 15-20 friends everyday. They have trouble accepting the fact that life goes on and that attending college is primarily to set you in a better position for the future instead of a 4-6 year long party. Kinda sad actually.

Getting older doesn't bother me one bit. I actually look at the brighter side of things like continously building up my self worth, my credit, saving more and more money, getting closer to buying my own house...things you can't normally do when you're in your early 20's.

• Members

Thanks man. I'll be 45 next month.

you and rocca are studs. I know plenty of guys in their mid 40's that are disgusting and listen to Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow and Bruce Springsteen. You {censored}ers look good and still rock as hard if not harder than your 20's. I salute you geezers, ill be there in 10 yrs i hope!

• Members
Thanks man. I'll be 45 next month.

Never would've guessed. I've watched all your vids and when I saw the last one with you, Steve and Ledfoot, I thought all you guys were in your early 30's. {censored} I guess that makes Steve in his 40's too then huh? I'm only guessing that since I know he used to go out and play in the 80's. It must be all the sex and beer that makes you guys look so young :lol: Afterall, that is the fountain of youth...at least that is what my pop told me :D

Archived