jet city amplification?

the_woodoo_mule

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Are you just trolling?

All I'm saying is there are people witn experience and knowledge to consult with.

It's called a "suggestion"

Is that ok with you Yarb?

:facepalm:

Dude, what's your deal? I mean...wait...why am I wasting my time with you?

I'll just give you this: :facepalm:

• Members
Are you just trolling?

All I'm saying is there are people witn experience and knowledge to consult with.

It's called a "suggestion"

Is that ok with you Yarb?

:facepalm:

Wow I don't even have time to read through all your posts nor the patience. Here are some responses in easy to read format.

1. If you don't want a modded JCA don't buy one. If the prices of the unmodded ones work for you then buy that one. No one is forcing you to buy anything.

2. The prices aren't set by JCA. They are set by Rack Systems. Dave charges about 300 minimum for his mods. If you don't like it, don't do business with him. He has done modding and rig design work for EVH, Jerry Cantrell, Slash, as well as numerous other touring musicians. He guarantees his work the same for everybody that he works with. If you respect his reputation and like what you hear then there is no issue. If you don't, feel free to do get another modder to work on your amp. That's how the free market works.

3. JCA is under no obligation to offer you guys a diy kit. Not now, not ever. The pairing from Rack Systems was just convenient for both parties involved. Dave works almost exclusively on highly sought after vintage Marshalls for his BE, HBE, and KS mods. He will not work on a crap amp. He will not work on an amp if he doesn't think it's worth it. He likes the JCA's and thinks that they are an easy and worthwhile platform for modding. As it stands 500 for the BE is cheaper then buying a JCA20 used and shipping it both ways for the mods. That's win/win for everyone involved. If you want to DIY it...{censored} the schems are free and the parts are available everywhere, get out your soldering iron and get to work. If you're afraid of voiding your warranty, tough cookies. JCA isn't your mom, they aren't going to hold you when you break something.

4. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

• Members

Wow I don't even have time to read through all your posts nor the patience. Here are some responses in easy to read format.

1. If you don't want a modded JCA don't buy one. If the prices of the unmodded ones work for you then buy that one. No one is forcing you to buy anything.

2. The prices aren't set by JCA. They are set by Rack Systems. Dave charges about 300 minimum for his mods. If you don't like it, don't do business with him. He has done modding and rig design work for EVH, Jerry Cantrell, Slash, as well as numerous other touring musicians. He guarantees his work the same for everybody that he works with. If you respect his reputation and like what you hear then there is no issue. If you don't, feel free to do get another modder to work on your amp. That's how the free market works.

3. JCA is under no obligation to offer you guys a diy kit. Not now, not ever. The pairing from Rack Systems was just convenient for both parties involved. Dave works almost exclusively on highly sought after vintage Marshalls for his BE, HBE, and KS mods. He will not work on a crap amp. He will not work on an amp if he doesn't think it's worth it. He likes the JCA's and thinks that they are an easy and worthwhile platform for modding. As it stands 500 for the BE is cheaper then buying a JCA20 used and shipping it both ways for the mods. That's win/win for everyone involved. If you want to DIY it...{censored} the schems are free and the parts are available everywhere, get out your soldering iron and get to work. If you're afraid of voiding your warranty, tough cookies. JCA isn't your mom, they aren't going to hold you when you break something.

4. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

+10000000

• Members

You guys know theres a diy 20h community on hc right?

link in sig

I think its cheaper from a price point perspective that we develop our own mods and implement them.

We already have a lot done (two channels that I'm working on making foot switchable, and a lot of circuit tweaks).

• Members

garbage.

The tweaker runs a pair of octal tubes in class a/b. The pico-valve runs a single octal tube in class a with a half power option, which the tweaker doesn't have. The JCA20 runs 2 el84s in class a/b. Neither the tweaker nor the pico-valve have the gain on tap that the JCA20 does. All three of them are good choices though. Good job making an informed opinion on buying an amp for your needs.

• Members

The tweaker runs a pair of octal tubes in class a/b. The pico-valve runs a single octal tube in class a with a half power option, which the tweaker doesn't have. The JCA20 runs 2 el84s in class a/b. Neither the tweaker nor the pico-valve have the gain on tap that the JCA20 does. All three of them are good choices though. Good job making an informed opinion on buying an amp for your needs.

Is the JCA20 fixed, or cathode biased?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Does anybody know what is going on with all the delays with Jet City products? I purchased a JCA50H from my local music store on Sept. 15, 2010. It sounded great but it had some problems. It had very low output until it would warm up for 5 minutes or so. Then all of a sudden, it would kick in and sound fine. I returned it but it was the only one they had in stock. The manager told me that he should be able to order a replacement and to check back in a couple days. When I called back, the manager told me that it was on backorder until the end of October. I have plenty of backup amps so I said, "sure, no big deal". I waited patiently until November 1st before I called back. The manager told me that he had not received it but that he would call his supplier and let me know. The manager called me back later that day to let me know that the backorder had been pushed back another couple of weeks. I had also been watching some online places because they were showing the same backorder status. AMS also changed the online backorder status to show Nov. 25th, 2010.

I really want to wait for the JCA50H because once it warmed up, it sounded incredible. I am starting to wonder about the dependability of this product because to me, they are 0 for 3 at this point. The first one I bought was defective, the second one seems to be nowhere in sight and the one thing that disappoints me most... Three days ago, I emailed Doug at Jet City who was very active on this thread a few months back. He has not even offered a reply. That doesn't seem like the world class customer service that had been promised from this company.

• Members

I know that the 50h's and the picovalves just started hitting the States last month, so I would imagine the demand is outweighing the current supply. And I've heard there's been some trouble with the stock tubes needing to be reseated because folks were having similar troubles that you were but once the tubes were reseated or replaced, thing were good to go.

But I'm not a JC employee so what do I know?

Doug also travels a lot overseas and is pretty busy, he will respond it may take a bit though. He's good people.

• Members

What everyone has said is pretty much true. The Picos and 5212 are "on the boat" as Doug likes to say. In modern business, the companies have only limited control over the actual distribution; that is handled by a contracted company.

I do know that there are some Picos and 5212 combos in the hands of players. The supply should increase slowly over the next several weeks.

Hang in there! It is definitely worth it. :thu:

• Members

I am a new convert to "Jet City". I have been playing guitar for 30yrs. now. That blows my mind actually. Started @ 13. I have owned/played many amps over the years. I just sold a Marshall jcm 2000 tsl 602. I wanted to down size a bit. I had been doing my research and was pretty set on getting into some Peavey sounds. I sold my amp and had funds in hand. I was 98% on getting the Peavey 3120 head and a 1x12 cab. With the intent on getting an Eminence 120/150w speaker. Well I stumbled onto Jet City via Soldano research. I own the Boss GT-10 effects processor. My first direct experience with Soldano was with on the amp modeling patches. Instant love. The tone is pure gold. One of my favorite patches. I have tweeked it to my liking. One of my favorite guitar player uses Soldano exclusively. Warren Haynes from Gov't Mule/Allman Brothers band. Anyway, the Slo 100 became my dream amp. The other night, I stumbled onto the youtube videos of the Jcah100. Blew my mind. Instantly, I knew that I had found what I was looking for. That tone is unreal. I am predominately and old school rocker/metal head. My main influences are Led Zeppelin,Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Kiss, Rush. The NWOBHM was my religion also. I love alot of different vibes of music-King Crimson,Tool, hell every thing from Thrash to Johnny Cash. This amp will handle it all well with tweeking. Well, in the eleventh hour, I decided to get into Jet City. I scored a JCA50h used and I also bought a Jet city 1x12 70w cab that isn't listed on the website. It is a cube, w/blue tolex and a round metal grill-sweet. There is a pic of it on the website sitting under a Pico Head. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival..It should be here in a day or so. Can't wait to plug it in and have the tone ooze from the speaker like syrup. I give more input when it gets here.

• Members

Does anybody know what is going on with all the delays with Jet City products? I purchased a JCA50H from my local music store on Sept. 15, 2010. It sounded great but it had some problems. It had very low output until it would warm up for 5 minutes or so. Then all of a sudden, it would kick in and sound fine. I returned it but it was the only one they had in stock. The manager told me that he should be able to order a replacement and to check back in a couple days. When I called back, the manager told me that it was on backorder until the end of October. I have plenty of backup amps so I said, "sure, no big deal". I waited patiently until November 1st before I called back. The manager told me that he had not received it but that he would call his supplier and let me know. The manager called me back later that day to let me know that the backorder had been pushed back another couple of weeks. I had also been watching some online places because they were showing the same backorder status. AMS also changed the online backorder status to show Nov. 25th, 2010.

I really want to wait for the JCA50H because once it warmed up, it sounded incredible. I am starting to wonder about the dependability of this product because to me, they are 0 for 3 at this point. The first one I bought was defective, the second one seems to be nowhere in sight and the one thing that disappoints me most... Three days ago, I emailed Doug at Jet City who was very active on this thread a few months back. He has not even offered a reply. That doesn't seem like the world class customer service that had been promised from this company.

I would contact Jet City directly (by phone?) as Doug is probably super busy given his role with the company. Also, MF has the head in stock. I ordered mine from MF three weeks ago, receive it four days later and has worked like a charm since. They also knocked off a few bucks as I found a better price.

• Members
I also bought a Jet city 1x12 70w cab that isn't listed on the website. It is a cube, w/blue tolex and a round metal grill-sweet. There is a pic of it on the website sitting under a Pico Head. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival..It should be here in a day or so. Can't wait to plug it in and have the tone ooze from the speaker like syrup. I give more input when it gets here.

Here you go:

691148.jpg

MF has them for $149: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jet-City-Amplification-JCA12XS-1x12-Guitar-Speaker-Cabinet?sku=430431

• Members

You just probably needed to re-seat or replace the tubes. I really doubt the actual head was defective.

I agree though that JCA needs to catch up with distribution, I've been dying to get the ISO cab. But that's just normal growing pains.

• Members

I picked up my JCA20H and JCA12s cabinet a week ago.

I played it extensively while trying to decide on my first "lunchbox" type amp.

I ended up getting the Tweaker a month ago because of a great deal on an open box one with the reassurance that I WOULD have a JCA20h also one day.

Well, I picked up the stack last week and it is great. Sounded awesome but I knew it could get sweeter.

So tonight, my tubes came via FedEx and I popped in a pair of JJ el84s and biased them up to 70%.

Awesome, the bass was tighter, the gain seemed a little bit hairier and the tone just seemed better overall. Almost the "blanket over the speaker" kind of change, but not quite that severe. Everything did perk up though.

I then started rolling through 12ax7s and ended up with a Tung-Sol in V1, stock chinese in V2 and a Sovtek 12ax7lps in V3.

The amp now sounds absolutely incredible. The gain has picked up quite a bit from the stock configuration and there is more note definition now. The tone is sharper, edgier and less fuzzy.

I don't know what else to say except it is amazing and I am thrilled.

It will definitely be coming with me for my gig on Saturday.

Now to decide on the matching 1x12 or my 4x12 :D

• Members

Does anybody know what is going on with all the delays with Jet City ... Three days ago, I emailed Doug at Jet City who was very active on this thread a few months back. He has not even offered a reply. That doesn't seem like the world class customer service that had been promised from this company.

Damn it. I am SO sorry and am trying to catch up. You will get a reply from me within an hour and my cell number is 425-773-1112.

• Members

Guys, this question of availability and products and dealers who have them or don't... It's very complex and it's difficult for me to post Bout it for fear of offending good music stores. But I will say this:

we are indeed small, growing way faster than anticipated.

I tend to take on more than I can personally manage!

We are self-financed and buying container loads of products takes container loads of cash!

Musicians Friend have been incredibly supportive. They have nearly every product in stock now. I don't like to single out a dealer but this is a fact I can represent. Two exceptions: jetstream, which has been on a boat for weeks now and should arrive any day! Jca50H, I don't know if they have them, demand was way higher than I guessed and sorry, working to correct this but just have none at the moment.

Whew. Thanks for the support and understanding. Ok, getting to emails...

• Members

Damn it. I am SO sorry and am trying to catch up. You will get a reply from me within an hour and my cell number is 425-773-1112.

I appreciate the reply. I have tried not to be impatient. I guess I am just getting anxious to get my amp. I understand delays but it was a little frustrating when I had waited over a month and a half and then found out that I have to wait another 2 weeks and possibly even longer to get a replacement for an amp I already paid for.

I think it makes it even more frustrating to know that Musicians Friend has them because I have already paid for mine from a local store. I realize that I could get my money back from my local dealer but I hate to do that to the local guys because they have been extremely kind to me over the years.

I will try to be more patient and hopefully the amps will show up by the next projected date of 11/25/10.

• Members

Just ordered a JCA50H Wednesday, should be here today.

Doug, if there's one thing I'd like to request it's that you guys keep your customer service at the level it's at now. I know the faster and bigger things grow that gets tougher to do, but it really is what sets you apart from other companies that have amps in this price range. As of right now I'm extremely impressed that you guys are so easy to reach and available on this and other forums (and willing to participate).

I sent an email to your support address the other day and got a response within 30 minutes! That's pretty remarkable and one of the main reasons I placed the order. I can't wait to give it a go when it arrives.

:thu:

• Members

we are indeed small,
growing way faster than anticipated.

I tend to take on more than I can personally manage!

We are self-financed and buying container loads of products takes container loads of cash!

Good business is good! Especially in the financial environment we're in right now. You guys deserve all the success you're getting, hang in there.

Archived