What makes a country song a COUNTRY song?

davie

• Members

Country music is contagious. Even pop groups and rockers love it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtU_R61TVk4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZpwe-mzb64

Not to mention, the genius known as Ray Charles!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-YqaTDDCDM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G09KKcSFXwU

And Ray's first country crossover hit, the Hank Snow song, "Movin' On."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng7Nz6sqARY

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I find the discussion of what is country far more interesting and relevant that what isn't country. Did Picasso or Dali or Warhol stop and ask, "Wait, is what I'm planning to create here really impressionistic? Or pop art? Does it really fit my genre?

No, they created genre. So did Ray Charles. And so does Taylor Swift.

Sorry, but the nitpicking of what is or isn't doesn't seem the least bit helpful for an artist. Though I believe it can be very powerful to understand a genre and its trappings, but to then base value on how close a given artist comes serves only to limit. And while I love self imposed limitations to spur on creativity, I still need autonomy. Don't fence me in daddy.

• Moderators

Funny enough... when I was 15 and a young little rocker, I met up with my soon to be best friends for the rest of my life. I started learning the chords to CCR tunes, Beatle songs, Deep Purple, Stones, Buddy Holly, I got a real honest to goodness education in rock and roll.

But the drummer and 1st guitarist were adamant, country is rock and roll in a lot of ways. So they taught me lots of songs at 15. From your list Lee, here's the ones I learned at 15 and played to young rock crowds if you can believe that!!!!

Wabash Cannonball

Blue Moon of Kentucky

Jambalaya

Ring of Fire

I

• Members

Did Picasso or Dali or Warhol stop and ask, "Wait, is what I'm planning to create here really impressionistic? Or pop art? Does it really fit my genre?

Something tells me Lee's near-encyclopedic knowledge of pop may not extend to art history. biggrin.gif

But his point is a good one!

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight

View Post

I find the discussion of what is country far more interesting and relevant that what isn't country. Did Picasso or Dali or Warhol stop and ask, "Wait, is what I'm planning to create here really impressionistic? Or pop art? Does it really fit my genre?

No, they created genre. So did Ray Charles. And so does Taylor Swift.

Sorry, but the nitpicking of what is or isn't doesn't seem the least bit helpful for an artist. Though I believe it can be very powerful to understand a genre and its trappings, but to then base value on how close a given artist comes serves only to limit. And while I love self imposed limitations to spur on creativity, I still need autonomy. Don't fence me in daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue

View Post

Something tells me Lee's near-encyclopedic knowledge of pop may not extend to art history. biggrin.gif

But his point is a good one!

smile.gif yeah... well... hey. smile.gif Cubism, Surrealism, Pop.

I'm not an art expert, no. smile.gif But I actually knew that none of those guys were impressionistic and what camp they belong to. I was just making points and taking names! smile.gif Kind of a hasty drive by.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight

View Post

I'm not an art expert, no. smile.gif But I actually knew that none of those guys were impressionistic and what camp they belong to. I was just making points and taking names! smile.gif Kind of a hasty drive by.

Sort of like someone not that familiar with the music scene making a hasty drive by putting Pat Boone, Andy Williams and Barry Manilow in the Heavy Metal camp.......wink.gif

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by oldgitplayer

View Post

Sort of like someone not that familiar with the music scene making a hasty drive by putting Pat Boone, Andy Williams and Barry Manilow in the Heavy Metal camp.......wink.gif

And for that I'd like to apologize to all those kids that bought Pat Boone records.:-)

• Members

I never knew anyone who owned a Pat Boone record.

When I bought my 1st 78's in the late 50's, it was only the rockers - Presley, Holly, Jerry Lee, Little Richard. Pat Boone was the paragon of the uncool.

We didn't ever hear true American country music on the radio. I thought 'Kisses Sweeter than Wine' was Country.

• Members

Explanatory note: I've been out of commission. Two words: kidney stone. Try not to have one. [Mine is small (3 mm) but oh my! "Like child birth," the nurses say.] Anyway, between hospital visits these past two days, and two types of painkiller (leaving me even stupider than usual) it's such a joy to read all your postings. I could speak to all of them, but just to focus on one . . . ("Get off the computer!" says she who must be obeyed.) Hit send, don't edit.

---

Thanks Lee, for those

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn

View Post

"Misty Blue"' is a song written by Bob Montgomery in 1966 which has become a hit in the pop, C&W and soul fields through various versions, the most successful being the 1976 pop/soul hit by Dorothy Moore.

I worked in Top-40 radio for both R&B incarnations of this tune, and remember it only vaguely.

I found this version which I think shows how it could have been a hit on both C&W and R&B charts.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by oldgitplayer

View Post

I never knew anyone who owned a Pat Boone record.

When I bought my 1st 78's in the late 50's, it was only the rockers - Presley, Holly, Jerry Lee, Little Richard. Pat Boone was the paragon of the uncool.

We didn't ever hear true American country music on the radio. I thought 'Kisses Sweeter than Wine' was Country.

I owned that tribute to Latino culture, "Speedy Gonzales." I think I bought it for a dime in the cut-out bin. That's pretty much how I started my record collection. My weekly allowance was $.40 so saving up $.59 to a buck for a single wasn't going to happen.

It was my innate cheapness that led me to discover albums. 59 cents for two songs or 2 bucks for an LP with 12 songs. After my allowance (and concomitant chores) increased to $1 and I started building my first stereo, I bought all albums -- of course, stereo 45 singles were all but nonexistent back then -- and, despite the higher RPM, the record companies used the worst, must stepped on recycled vinyl [complete with ground up labels] for the singles and then compounded the horror by squashing the living daylights out of them on a selective basis -- a stack of singles on a changer would have you jumping back and forth, since some of them would be squashed down to an effective dynamic b/w of about 10-12 dB for competitive loudness reasons.

• Members

Is it country, is it blues, is it rock n roll? The lineage to Buddy Holly or Carl Perkins is as strong as the line to Hank Williams. The telecaster licks are born of James Burton.

Or this, country with an edge

A little more traditional, but certainly not Nashville country:

Then there's Lucinda Williams, Mary Gauthier, Steve Earle, Lyle Lovett. It's enough to make your head spin.

Archived