What makes a country song a COUNTRY song?

davie

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by saturn1

View Post

Is it country, is it blues, is it rock n roll? The lineage to Buddy Holly or Carl Perkins is as strong as the line to Hank Williams. The telecaster licks are born of James Burton.

Then there's Lucinda Williams, Mary Gauthier, Steve Earle, Lyle Lovett. It's enough to make your head spin.

I really like the Mavericks.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for the stone mojo, rsadasiv. (Little Rock still has not passed.) Taking comfort now in all the wonderful postings here. Like LCK I love The Mavericks, and Jason Eady singing his own GOD FEARING BLUES is absolutely fantastic.

Pardon me if I slow down the pace with a reflection on a late-in-life inductee into the Country Music Song Writers Hall of Fame.

---

Tom T. Hall. If you're young, you may not know his name. But some of us, of an age, consider Mr. Hall the Mark Twain of

• Members

Ah, the joys of YouTube circa 2013: Watch a video to its very end, and there's all those similar offerings -- a feature that could be called, You-like-that?-You'll-love-this!

After watching Jason Eady's GOD FEARING BLUES a fourth time, I finally spotted the pretty young woman on the Austin City Limits set,

• Members

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn

View Post

Ah, the joys of YouTube circa 2013: Watch a video to its very end, and there's all those similar offerings -- a feature that could be called, You-like-that?-You'll-love-this!

After watching Jason Eady's GOD FEARING BLUES a fourth time, I finally spotted the pretty young woman on the Austin City Limits set,

• Members

By 1970 when his rock fame was well-established, Elton John alluded to his southern 'country' songwriting influences with my favorite track on his Tumbleweed Connections LP Lee Charles Kelley just posted his own favorite track from that landmark album over on the latest "Friday Influences" thread: This was mine. It re-awakened my love for steel guitar while blowing me away with Bernie Taupin's oh-so-evocative lyric: Brilliant writing really, that accomplishes so much in so few artless words. For me, still the quintessential Country Song, 43 years on.

Like you, Old Git Brit I like lyrics that hint at things your own imagination can take and run with. And love your latest observation -- an inversion of the question that started this thread: "What makes an American song NOT a country song?"

• Members

Been meaning to thank LCK for the Kristofferson postings above. Just found the right moment -- in a television promo, and while reflecting on the ability of our mutual hero, Johnny Mercer, to take a catch phrase (new or old -- but unused in song) and turn it into a hit. He was better at it than anyone else. But it's within our power to do it too!

Anyway, thought of this while listening to an album of Great American Songbook standards sung by 'country' artist Ronnie Milsap

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn

View Post

Been meaning to thank LCK for the Kristofferson postings above.

"Please Don't Tell Me How the Story Ends" which won Milsap his first grammy.

Nice one, Mark! I hadn't heard this before....

Archived