The Coming of Glenn Beck was predicted

JBecker

• Members

I think the moral of this story is

Trust no one

But how do you know if you should trust those who tell you to trust noone?

ExplodingHead.GIF

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think he's pretty smart. He knows exactly what to say to get his ratings and make his money. I'm not personally friends with anyone that's a fan of him. I do know a handful of mental patients that are fans, but that's neither here nor there
:idk::)

You dont have time to read this boring washpost op ed

in between the loopy rodeo clown acts, beck occasionally has somebody on with something interesting to say. he might actually be educating his viewers.

• Members

AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand in.

IMO, watching TV is the stupidest thing anyone could do.

Watching new channels on TV and believing everything "newscasters" say is just borderline retarded.

Regardless of what station it is.

no kidding.

Be mindful not to be seduced by those who pretend to agree with your views, whatever they are. They all a pack of pretenders on both sides.

• Members

in between the loopy rodeo clown acts, beck occasionally has somebody on with something interesting to say. he might actually be educating his viewers.

[YOUTUBE]szlLM5lCNJg[/YOUTUBE]

No matter how many interesting people he gives a voice to, nothing can make people smarter who believe stuff like the above, and nothing can be done to make up for the deficit created by watching and buying into the display above.

It's also hard to take an article seriously that doesn't mention that Buckley also called Vidal a "queer" (though Vidal did call him a crypto-Nazi) and thinks that Obama represents giganticism in government and that's what has stirred the populist pot (where was this during Bush?).

• Members

No matter how many interesting people he gives a voice to, nothing can make people smarter who believe stuff like the above, and nothing can be done to make up for the deficit created by watching and buying into the display above.

It's also hard to take an article seriously that doesn't mention that Buckley also called Vidal a "queer" (though Vidal did call him a crypto-Nazi) and thinks that Obama represents giganticism in government and that's what has stirred the populist pot (where was this during Bush?).

What a mother{censored}ing dick :facepalm:

• Members

I will happily spar with you on PP. over this and any other topic.

fundamentally tho..... arguement makes little sense-

A. Your Dystopian Lit fears corruption/ Progressive futures.

B. Equating different kinds of "transformational change" is some new form of super-relativism that makes little sense ,

and is a logical fallacy arguement.

• Members

I will happily spar with you on PP. over this and any other topic.

fundamentally tho..... arguement makes little sense-

A. Your Dystopian Lit fears corruption/ Progressive futures.

Actually, dystopian literature does not necessarily fear progressivism any more than conservatism. In fact, it often characterizes failed states as reactionary. Also, I was referring to the presence of a media figure who is extreme and constantly yelling, creating outrageous claims, speaking to the people under a populist calling which is all about creating a ton of support for a particular regime.

B. Equating different kinds of "transormational change" is some new form of super-relativism that makes little sense ,

and is a logical fallacy arguement.

So when Beck takes a speech which explains components needed for a transformative change (not a particular transformative change) and then says, "See Obama wants to change EVERYTHING, especially what YOU LIKE," is not a logical fallacy? There are several embedded in that statement and those conclusions.

• Members

ok, i watched this (:facepalm:) and i didn't really see where he made a point. he said lots of stuff, he told us what he thinks some art means, but he didn't make a point...at least not a point that he wanted to make.

i heard "rockefeller was a capitalist who supported communism and fascism, which means that capitalists support communism and fascism", which is pretty contrary to the gung ho pro capitalist mentality his viewership is supposed to ascribe to.

sometimes i think these guys sit around and make bets with each other about how ludicrous they can be without anyone noticing :lol:

• Members

I think the Glen Becks and Rush of the world exist to a point (not the only reason) but to a point because the media doesnt do its "job" 24/7 and is not as tough on certain politicians or topics as should be

Its almost like a vacuum is created (because the media is not totally doing its job) and thus they fill it :cool:

Not trying to be a jackass or argumententive but bringing a legit point, i truly think there is something to it

:idk:

• Members

I think the Glen Becks and Rush of the world exist to a point (not the only reason) but to a point because the media doesnt do its "job" 24/7 and is not as tough on certain politicians or topics as should be

Its almost like a vacuum is created (because the media is not totally doing its job) and thus they fill it
:cool:

Not trying to be a jackass or argumententive but bringing a legit point, i truly think there is something to it

I'd say they are entertainers, and their purpose is to push an agenda, not to provide "real" news coverage. If you think either of those two are trying to help you, I've got a bridge for sale.

• Members

Its almost like a vacuum is created (because the media is not totally doing its job) and thus they fill it
:cool:

On balance, people with enough of an opinion on the media probably would like their news with some fact-checking.

• Members

beck and limbaugh are parts of the media, and i agree, the media aren't doing their job :thu:

ideally, you'd get the facts, and you could make your own value judgments from them. now, you have to sift through the vitriol to find the facts...and that's just the facts that aren't omitted.

anybody who watches fox news or MSNBC for information is only getting one side of the story.

• Members

I'd say they are entertainers, and their purpose is to push an agenda, not to provide "real" news coverage. If you think either of those two are trying to help you, I've got a bridge for sale.

To a point you are right i agree

but i also think there are issues/topics that are picked up and brought to attn way before the mainstream media ever does - The media is supposed to be TOUGH journalists and reporters and alot of times they are not....

......Thus the vacuum and void is created and they help fill it!!

:idea:

• Members

but i also think there are issues/topics that are picked up and brought to attn way before the mainstream media ever does - The media is supposed to be TOUGH journalists and reporters and alot of times they are not....

Anyone who goes to a broadcast entertainer for that should find a computer, learn to use it, and go read some talented bloggers, of which there are many.

• Members

uh...what's not mainstream about fox news?

i also seem to remember some people bitching about katie couric being "too tough" on sarah palin...:lol:

everybody has an agenda of some sort, and you can't eliminate that. if you take something that is said by a "pundit" at face value, you should be sterilized to prevent further deterioration of our gene pool.

psycho neocons LOVE fox news because it validates them, just like psycho liberals LOVE MSNBC because it validates them.

if you REALLY want to know what's going on in washington, watch C-span :idea:

Archived