All the Joy Division Fans Work In Coffee Shops

Lee Knight

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

page 1 - 4 posts up......

Ah! Cool...

So shift pattern clash isn't a name of a song? What does that mean? It sounds great...

Edit: OK, got it. Shift Pattern = hours. Shifts. Shift Pattern Clash, now that's interesting. He's clocking out and she's clocking in? I love that.

• Members

Ah! Cool...

So shift pattern clash isn't a name of a song? What does that mean? It sounds great...

Edit: OK, got it. Shift Pattern = hours. Shifts. Shift Pattern Clash, now that's interesting. He's clocking out and she's clocking in? I love that.

Yeh! Maybe they dont call them "shifts" over in the US.... basically as you said.... they got put on the same shift...or maybe as you say one was in as one was out

• Moderators

Other Cool song titles that we can leverage:

Novelty

Transmission

New Dawn Fades

She's Lost Control

Atrocity Exhibition

Isolation

I don't know about you, but I'd like to keep it about those two as much as possible. I think that's kinda cool. A little missed love opportunity between the two, tying in nicely to the name of JD's biggest tune. Maybe I'm wrong here, but moving too far into song name territory might bring it too far into either novelty of fan gush land.

What do think?

It's working for me as is. Everybody knows these characters. It kinda funny but but kinda cool too. Endearing. I mean, it really doesn't have to be a novelty song. I say lets try and make it cool too, not wacky. Maybe drop my bagel/fanagle lines. Maybe I'm way off here...

I think as far as the amount of material, we're there. I'd love to work up something and pass it around for you and Stick to play on and sing if you guys are inclined? Or at least track some JDesque keys and guitar and whatnot.

?

• Members

I don't know about you, but I'd like to keep it about those two as much as possible. I think that's kinda cool. A little missed love opportunity between the two, tying in nicely to the name of JD's biggest tune. Maybe I'm wrong here, but moving too far into song name territory might bring it too far into either novelty of fan gush land.

What do think?

It's working for me as is. Everybody knows these characters. It kinda funny but but kinda cool too. Endearing. I mean, it really doesn't have to be a novelty song. I say lets try and make it cool too, not wacky. Maybe drop my bagel/fanagle lines. Maybe I'm way off here...

I think as far as the
amount
of material, we're there. I'd love to work up something and pass it around for you and Stick to play on and sing if you guys are inclined? Or at least track some JDesque keys and guitar and whatnot.

?

definately dont go song title crazy

and yes lets all get on it!!

• Members

It looks like you all had some fun while Australia slept.
It's looking good.
I tried singing along with it, and stumbled with the title line.
You may purposely express the bumpity-bumpity 'All the Joy Division fans', but as an alternative, could just take out 'the':

Suicide makeup and a black tee top
All Joy Division fans work in coffee shops
She's nice to the hippies and she's nice to the cops

• Moderators

It looks like you all had some fun while Australia slept.

It's looking good.

I tried singing along with it, and stumbled with the title line.

You may purposely express the bumpity-bumpity
'All the Joy Division fans'
, but as an alternative, could just take out
'the'
:

All(1) the(+) Joy(2) Di-(+) vi-(3) sion(+) fans(4)

Work(1) in(+) co-(2) ffee(+) shops(3)

• Members

As I clicked on this thread, I crossed my fingers that this was the name of a song. Very nice. The only thing that seemed weird to me off the bat was "pushes the eject button on". I don't know why, but the word "on" kind of bugs me. Could just be a personal thing.

• Members
As I clicked on this thread, I crossed my fingers that this was the name of a song. Very nice. The only thing that seemed weird to me off the bat was "pushes the eject button on". I don't know why, but the word "on" kind of bugs me. Could just be a personal thing.

It is a great title, isn't it? :cool:

Can't wait to hear Lee's first draft of the music.

• Moderators

I've been buried and haven't had a chance but hope to start working up something today...

Yeah, the "pushes the eject button on" is sort of idiomatic. Or not. It struck me as slacker speech. My slacker speech. It may change based on actually singing the phrases. Well, it will change. The tongue, teeth, lips and palate seems to win out with these things lately.

• Members

Love the lyrics butt I dont think of hippies at all with the sound of Joy Division. They might have a lot of hippie fans but so did Zeppelin. Its depressing music ya but so many of the bands they influenced are not hippie sounding. NIN, Husker Du, Metallica, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Cure, Nirvana, Minutemen, Throwing Muses, Tool, AIC, Radiohead, REM, lots of metal, ambient, texture music.

They dont mention it because some of the bands (NIN, Sonic Youth,Pixies, Metlica on Ride the lightning) ripped their signature sound straight from part of a Joy Division song.

Maybe I just dont get it, lol. but I know Joy Division is light years deeper than just dark and depressing. The things they first did with effects changed music forever.

• Members

Love the lyrics butt I dont think of hippies at all with the sound of Joy Division. They might have a lot of hippie fans but so did Zeppelin. Its depressing music ya but so many of the bands they influenced are not hippie sounding. NIN, Husker Du, Metallica, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Cure, Nirvana, Minutemen, Throwing Muses, Tool, AIC, Radiohead, REM, lots of metal, ambient, texture music.

They dont mention it because some of the bands (NIN, Sonic Youth,Pixies, Metlica on Ride the lightning) ripped their signature sound straight from part of a Joy Division song.

Maybe I just dont get it, lol. but I know Joy Division is light years deeper than just dark and depressing. The things they first did with effects changed music forever.

I think the lyric is saying that even as the depressing emo gothy person she is, she is still nice to everyone including hippies and cops

i dont think its saying Joy division fans are hippies as such

• Moderators

I think the lyric is saying that even as the depressing emo gothy person she is, she is still nice to everyone including hippies and cops

i dont think its saying Joy division fans are hippies as such

Correct! It's saying, this chick... wanting some cool to align herself with, via a band that dissolved in 1979, she's got her Love Will tat even, she's playing the part of the depressed sad heavy thinker, is really just a nice chick. Perhaps caught up in some comic book pretenses. It's about the character not the band. Not a judgment but more an observation and empathy for her.

By the way...

As I'm cleaning up the lyric to flow with the music, I'm feeling the need for either a straight up chorus, or a bridge. And in that section, I really want to get to the heart of this couple of passing ships who perhaps miss out on life a bit, miss out on each other out of shyness or... something about the very thing that gave them strength as kids, latching on to a band their parents might've dug but were too lame to even know existed back then, and now here they are, the cool offspring, with a found and claimed identity (JD), playing that part just might stunt a possible very real connection with another like minded person. I'm looking for some heart here.

The irony of it. Some sort of empathy to tie it all together.

Stick, the very idea of you bringing those two together seems like it should be explored. What might have been but didn't. ??? Mr. Bee?

• Moderators

...As I'm cleaning up the lyric to flow with the music, I'm feeling the need for either a straight up chorus, or a bridge.... And in that section, I really want to get to the heart of this couple of passing ships who perhaps miss out on life a bit, miss out on each other out of shyness or...

Stick
, the very idea of you bringing those two together seems like it should be explored. What might have been but didn't. ??? Mr. Bee?

Bridge idea:

And if he could look up for a minute

And if she took her time clocking in

Just a second or two to begin it

He

• Moderators

Love this. Would a change of tense make it clearer?

And if he had looked up for a minute

Or if she took her time clocking in

But he had walked out while she walked in

You know, I PM'd you and as I did I rewrote it a little in the message to you on the spot, thinking I could check it later. Something along those lines, or maybe not. I forget. Yeah, I agree maybe. But I can't seem to review what I've sent via PM. Can you check and post it?

• Members

Love this. Would a change of tense make it clearer?

And if he had looked up for a minute

Or if she took her time clocking in

But he had walked out while she walked in

That's really good.

I think the last line should just be past tense, though, instead of past conditional (or subjunctive).

"But he walked out as she walked in..."

LCK

• Members

You know, I PM'd you and as I did I rewrote it a little in the message to you on the spot, thinking I could check it later. Something along those lines, or maybe not. I forget. Yeah, I agree maybe. But I can't seem to review what I've sent via PM. Can you check and post it?

Here is the lyric from the PM:

And if he could just look up for a minute

And if she would take her time clocking in

But he

• Moderators

great lyric, ramrod

RAMROD! Kinda like Thor or something.

OK... here's what I have so far after trying to shave syllables, get a consistent flow phrase to phrase, and tie it in to a clean story line. I'm trying some preliminary vocal tracking for just working out phrasing. No final stuff, not even close. I'll then pass it on to my illustrious cowriters and have them elevate it to greatness! I am RAMROD! Hear me roar, dude.

All the Joy Division Fans Work in Coffee Shops

All the Joy Division fans work in coffee shops

Fingers in her ears, ejects John Mayer

Then throws Ian Curtis back into the CD player

She

• Members

A thought: it may make sense to introduce the near-miss dude earlier in the song. Thoughts?

An idea for the last verse:

A mischievous smile to the jock and his pop

• Members

Yeh lyrically its kinda there in parts

the story kinda gets going and then returns (the last verse) to something that doesnt seem to finish it off properly if you get me.

I think we need something more final in the last verse

either about missed opportunity OR how they could/do get together

Archived