HELP my amp lost its gain during a fix!

thomasterrible

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
To answer your question about how do you get that gain sound back - do the following steps:
1. Have your tech set your amp back up for EL34's. This amp was designed and voiced for use of EL34's and that's the ONLY way it's going to sound like an EL34 amp again.
2. Your preamp tubes (the 12ax7's) are more than likely lower gain. Purchase some nice high gain preamp tubes, and turn DOWN your gain. This amp has gain for days, but not USABLE gain. It turns into a buzzy mess if you put the gain up over 6. Set your gain to around 4 or 4.5 on the dial - dime your channel volume (NOT YOUR MASTER). This will help drive your preamp tubes a bit more, and give you a bit more of the saturation you were looking for before.

Now...onto my rant...you listen up sir, I used to think the same way you did...now I know better.

I bet none of you have ever played or opened up an FA-180, it is the only professional amp in the Fallen Angel line, the others are nice but not professional.

First off, I've owned both the FA180 and the FA60 (non-dsp). How you get that one is "Professional" and the other isn't, is beyond me. Now, had you said, one is meant for Arena size shows (due to the fact that it is 180 watts of tube sound) and that the other is meant for use in smaller venues (60 watts of tube sound) I could have gotten on board with that.

I'm COMPLETELY with you on the sound of the Fallen Angel series. I love them. I sold my FA180 because, well, let's be honest here. I'm NOT playing 50,000 person venues and I'm running out of a single 4x12. And if you're buying an amp - that you NEED to put an attenuator on because of the massive amounts of power that you CAN'T use, then you need a different amp. I moved onto an FA60. I am aware of the issues many people have had with their Fallen Angels, and while I feel that you perhaps are also a less knowledgeable individual in regards to tube amps - I feel that is ultimately the downfall of so many of these amps. Please do not take this statement as derogatory as it was not meant in such a way. I'm sure you understand the basics of your amplifier, however, based on some of your previous statements I feel that you perhaps are missing a few of the nuances of owning a tube amp.

1. Tubes are EVERYTHING. If you find a sound you like - stick with it. Don't let someone talk you into modding your amp because THEY think it sounds better this way. If you liked the EL34's over that standard Mesa/Fender 6L6 sound, putting 6L6's into your amp isn't going to produce desirable results.
2. Load. If for any reason, and it sounds like it did, the impedance mismatched between your head - hotplate and cab - then this could cause your tubes to SCREAM UP in voltage and whatnot and basically redplate, causing them to cook. Be grateful your transformers didn't go with them. some jack ass guitar tech for a band that will remain...aww {censored} it he works for Digital Summer...guy's an idiot...decides to just unplug the cab from the back of a LIVE KRANKENSTEIN. Not on standby, not off, on and live...needless to say, I would have given this guy a swift kick in the sack and thrown him off stage. It's a $1300 used amp...a {censored}ty sounding $1300 used amp, but a pricey amp none the less. Always be careful when working with tube technology. It sounds beautiful and amazing, but it's a picky bitch.

My particular tubes the 6L6GE are made with most of the original production parts and tooling of the US company General Electric. It is not some tube made somewhere else and has their name slapped on it.

Again, to quote CME, MOST PARTS are made in the US, and then they are sent over seas for final construction. This is accurate. These are NOT {censored}ty tubes. They are solid - middle of the road tubes. Neither expensive nor cheap, they produce a fairly consistent sound, which would most likely be why (other than an endorsement deal making them yet more money) so many artists use Groove Tubes.

Now, let's all relax, enjoy that mr peters is here to offer his expertise and start begging for free amps ;)

• Members

I apparently tend to have that affect. Do I think that mr tomtom's a troll? Probably not. I think he's just angry and doesn't know how to express what he's thinking. It's hard dealing with us sometimes guys. Especially when people bombard you with smart answers...followed by smart ass follow ups :p

• Members

just to reiterate.

Groove tubes are NOT made in america. There are 3 countries with vacuum tube factories in the world, and the USA is not one of them.

Groove tubes are chinese tubes that have been labelled in america. Thats the only part of them that is north american whatsoever.

And theyre overpriced and sound terrible. Anybody with half a brain knows SED 6l6's sound noticeably better.

• Members

You know usually people on HC at least attempt a serous answer to a post. what happened here is a bunch of assholes making stupid comments that know nothing about the situation other than what I have said. How may of you have played through an Ashdown? Which Model? Yeah I thought so.

People playing guessing games is also a sign of their foolishness and inability to get to the truth rather that pretend they are some guru that knows everything. I know a lot but if I have a problem I seek assistance from others and even if only 1% of that is actually helpful I advance my knowledge base. I am not affraid to say I dont know about something and ask for advice. Dumbass comments like "I have heard that Ashdowns go to ashes" ha ha ha, you worthless jerk Ashdown has been making high end gear for many years and has won many awards. There are two possible reasons that you have not heard more about them. First they are a company from the UK and that is where the bulk of their sales were. Second they disontinued their guitar amp line and it is being run by a sister company called Hayden. I have 3 Ashdown Fallen Angel amps, the 180 all tube amp, a 60 watt all tube amp and a hybrid 60 watt amp head. They all work great and have never broken down save for the one the THD fried.

The person that knocked Groove Tubes as being an overseas tube that is imported is a total idiot that is just plain WRONG.
So this dorks incorrect opinion on Groove Tubes is going to get passed along to his gullable little friend and so on.

The fact is that if you want US Tubes go to groove tubes, this guy has no relation to get compensatied for selling their tubes, he simply has been working on amps for more years than probably everyone here has been alive and has vastly more experience than everyone combined. Like I said sine I know a bit about electronics myself when having an hour long discussion I could tell he was proficient at what he did.

Also since Ashdown stopped making the Fallen Angel amps it is going to be impossible to find a new one. They were the amp of choice for a long time for the band Annihilator which may mean something to you metal heads. Personally I just like an amp that sounds good to me and the FA via the Mesa slant rect does it. As to the people that were talking about bias adjustment, well let me fill you in that there are many amps out there with FIXED Biases. This means that you could plug in power tubes yourself without having to know anything about amps and tubes. The FA was a self biasing amp. However one thing I had the tech do was to alter it to an adjustable bias so now yes that is a possibility. There are several amps under the "Fallen Angel" line and they are all good but the FA-180 is the only serious amp with serious transformers and 6 power tubes etc. But the other ones have their place as well and the bybrid works great as a practice amp or even a small gig, though due to the way the amps are constructed I could even run the 180 watt head via a 2x12 and get just as much gain on low volume and high thanks to the multiple volume contols and audo taper master volumes.

I think owning several of these amps and their receiving rewards from guitar magazines in the UK where this amp is made makes for a much better knowledge of these amps that some moron saying "I heard they turn to ashes yuk yuk"

Perhaps next time I will get the regular number of decent people actually trying to help out each other on these forums instead of a bunch of jerks getting off on making stupid statemets.

You're saying Groove Tubes are made in the US? Lay off that glass dick man. :facepalm:

• Members
just to reiterate.

Groove tubes are NOT made in america. There are 3 countries with vacuum tube factories in the world, and the USA is not one of them.

Groove tubes are chinese tubes that have been labelled in america. Thats the only part of them that is north american whatsoever.

And theyre overpriced and sound terrible. Anybody with half a brain knows SED 6l6's sound noticeably better.

yup :wave:

• Members

My particular tubes the 6L6GE are made with most of the original production parts and tooling of the US company General Electric. It is not some tube made somewhere else and has their name slapped on it.

Only the first small batch was made this way:

http://www.groovetubes.com/assets/1713_gt_ts0107final_6l6ge.pdf

And please take your meds. You sound like your manic depressive or bipolar.

{censored}wad.

• Members

Holy crap you (mostly) idiots really had nothing better to do. You can pay me now for all of the entertainment value. First the closest person to the truth is endrithius, second when people turned in to stupid assholes I followed suit, I just had surgery and was in a lot of pain and dealing with this new half-wit overpriced tech trying to get my amp working again because while I know about electronics I am NOT an amp expert, never said I was. When I dont know something I ask as many sources and weed through the bs and true while peters knows about amps and had some helpful and some mean things to say this is not the place to get serious assistance for my questions. Third there is not one of you that would call me a {censored}wad or any other name to my face, I would crush you, well actually I am more balance with myself and the world so you would actually have to (attempt) to hit me, then I would crush you. Groove Tubes? I was NOT happy that he used those overpriced tubes, the are not the worst or the best and the ones in my amp are probably the best they make if their literature is correct.
I changed the bias on my amp and guess what? I got the crunch back. Now everyone can take their guesses and see if you were right. Now repeating what this amp tech said DOES NOT mean that I agree with him. I was stating facts of what someone said and much of it was to let people know that some things he said sounded correct and others made no sense at all. Will I use him again NO! Will I use any brand of attenuator ever again? NO!
Did I ever need that stupid attenuator with an audio taper master volume which keeps the gain pretty much the same no matter what volume? NO! I said I was stupid to try it or did you miss that. Yes everything was hooked up correctly but it was either a defective hotplate or tubes that were not up to handling the load, they were the hot thing on the market and stock I had my eye on the VU meter, but that fad went away and they actually are not very good tubes. Honestly the best tubes I have used and liked so far are Mesa branded Sovteks, they sounded good in my Laney. Someone knows where MI is? Well guess what potato ass I am not the typical snob rich jerk but you are too ignorant (or jealous) since you dont live here. Yeah a small community with a totally corrupt police department that your ex-wife has family in high places is so sweet (not). Have taxes so high that you cant afford your house, lovely. It is the safest place anywhere to live and it used to be a nice place to live. I left this thread a long time ago it is amazing that it went on so long. I should start a Jerry Springer show if it is this easy to manipulate people in to puking up writings. To all you haters and assholes, I dont hate you, I had seriously bad things happen to me, I feel sorry for you. To those that tried to help, thanks, you are good people and have good karma. I wont read the next 1000 posts I am sure you will all be tossing around so if you think you are speaking to me I am not going to hear it. I am a bit surprised that none of you sort of caught on that comment supporting Groove Tubes because Spinal Tap used them. Too busy thinking up things you thought were funny I guess. The truth hurts. BYE BYE FOREVER

• Members
I am a bit surprised that none of you sort of caught on that comment supporting Groove Tubes because Spinal Tap used them. Too busy thinking up things you thought were funny I guess. The truth hurts. BYE BYE FOREVER

Oh hai. kberanek did.

Don't let the door hit your arse on the way out.
:love:

• Members

PS It was really hard to keep track because the insults were flying in so fast so for the people I insulted that did not deserve it I appologize, for those that did deserve it I still should not have lowered myself to your level but like I said between the cancer surgery and the bs with the overpriced half assed tech trying to make my amp work and the bs here I said things I normally would not. NOW THAT IS MY FINAL WORD. PERIOD. I will never return to this post but if I live through my condition I may start others so if you can continue on with whatever makes you feel good but I am unsubscribing from this thread so I will not read it.

• Members
NOW THAT IS MY FINAL WORD. PERIOD. I will never return to this post but if I live through my condition I may start others so if you can continue on with whatever makes you feel good but I am unsubscribing from this thread so I will not read it.

;):love::lol:

• Members

Holy crap you (mostly) idiots really had nothing better to do. You can pay me now for all of the entertainment value. First the closest person to the truth is endrithius, second when people turned in to stupid assholes I followed suit, I just had surgery and was in a lot of pain and dealing with this new half-wit overpriced tech trying to get my amp working again because while I know about electronics I am NOT an amp expert, never said I was. When I dont know something I ask as many sources and weed through the bs and true while peters knows about amps and had some helpful and some mean things to say this is not the place to get serious assistance for my questions. Third there is not one of you that would call me a {censored}wad or any other name to my face, I would crush you, well actually I am more balance with myself and the world so you would actually have to (attempt) to hit me, then I would crush you. Groove Tubes? I was NOT happy that he used those overpriced tubes, the are not the worst or the best and the ones in my amp are probably the best they make if their literature is correct.

I changed the bias on my amp and guess what? I got the crunch back. Now everyone can take their guesses and see if you were right. Now repeating what this amp tech said DOES NOT mean that I agree with him. I was stating facts of what someone said and much of it was to let people know that some things he said sounded correct and others made no sense at all. Will I use him again NO! Will I use any brand of attenuator ever again? NO!

Did I ever need that stupid attenuator with an audio taper master volume which keeps the gain pretty much the same no matter what volume? NO! I said I was stupid to try it or did you miss that. Yes everything was hooked up correctly but it was either a defective hotplate or tubes that were not up to handling the load, they were the hot thing on the market and stock I had my eye on the VU meter, but that fad went away and they actually are not very good tubes. Honestly the best tubes I have used and liked so far are Mesa branded Sovteks, they sounded good in my Laney. Someone knows where MI is? Well guess what potato ass I am not the typical snob rich jerk but you are too ignorant (or jealous) since you dont live here. Yeah a small community with a totally corrupt police department that your ex-wife has family in high places is so sweet (not). Have taxes so high that you cant afford your house, lovely. It is the safest place anywhere to live and it used to be a nice place to live. I left this thread a long time ago it is amazing that it went on so long. I should start a Jerry Springer show if it is this easy to manipulate people in to puking up writings. To all you haters and assholes, I dont hate you, I had seriously bad things happen to me, I feel sorry for you. To those that tried to help, thanks, you are good people and have good karma. I wont read the next 1000 posts I am sure you will all be tossing around so if you think you are speaking to me I am not going to hear it. I am a bit surprised that none of you sort of caught on that comment supporting Groove Tubes because Spinal Tap used them. Too busy thinking up things you thought were funny I guess. The truth hurts. BYE BYE FOREVER

LOL rambling much? take your meds dude, youre creepy as {censored} lol

• Members

...true while peters knows about amps and had some helpful and some mean things to say this is not the place to get serious assistance for my questions.

Whatever I said that you thought was "mean" was either 1) serious/direct in nature and you didn't like it because it challenged your opinions, or 2) was in good humor. You'd figure if I were being mean to you I wouldn't have any practical advice to offer, in this thread or by private messaging several times, including helping you avoid being banned (for saying a "Voldemort word", aka a "word which shall not be used on this forum" in one of your posts). And you figure after the advice I gave you, that you might focus on the positive even if I were "mean to you" (let alone admit that you were in fact given as much advice as you could ever have asked for, let alone expected).

Archived