I love NADs

Guiary

• Members

I'm now rockin' with a Peters Chimera! This beast is utterly awesome! Very tight and articulate and with 6550 tubes (first time trying them out) has a wicked growl.

IMAG0008.jpg

Adding the Chimera to my current Hydra is something I could only imagine doing now it's done and I'm lovin' it!

Not too sure I'm completely sold on the 6550s as I love the KT88s in the Hydra currently, I may just have to try some in the Chimera later on.

IMAG0009.jpg

• Members

I was out bid on ebay a while back. Besides there can be only one who owns 3 peters! That much power for a regular person like me will cause my body to eat itself from the inside out!

I've never seen a Peters Professional Series on eBay before.

So is the Hydra sorta in between a Gryphon and a Chimera?

• Members

Wow dude, that rig is sweeet. How would you compare your Chimera's sound to the Hydra?

Now this is just all a matter of opinion of course and from just quickly setting the dials. I find the Chimera tighter and dryer than the Hydra but the Hydra seems to have a little more punch to it. Keep in mind that this could all be due to how each amp is set up, I'm sure I need to spend a little more time with the Chimera's EQ to get completely comfortable.

These amps do sound different from each other, enough that it would be worth buying both (for any of those out there sitting on the fence on this).

I just can't wait till I've had more time to play around with the settings.

• Members

I've never seen a Peters Professional Series on eBay before.

So is the Hydra sorta in between a Gryphon and a Chimera?

Someone posted up in the Peters owners thread a while back that he was selling his Gryphon on Ebay, so I took a crack at it and lost, oh well.

All I can tell you about the Gryphon cause I've never tried it, but there is a big enough of a difference between the Chimera and the Hydra to own both. You can tell that they are both peters amps via blind fold test, I mean they do share similar qualities, but I find that the voicings are quite different. Of course this is one persons opinion.

• Members
I was out bid on ebay a while back. Besides there can be only one who owns 3 peters! That much power for a regular person like me will cause my body to eat itself from the inside out!

:D

Also, I'd have to redo your custom footswitch so it not only switches your two current amps simultaneously, but also the third. Which I can do. So I guess that's not a big deal. :)

PS. I generally prefer 6550 to KT88 when going for a more aggressive sound in an amp.

• Members
:)

Also, I'd have to redo your custom footswitch so it not only switches your two current amps simultaneously, but also the third. Which I can do. So I guess that's not a big deal.

PS. I generally prefer 6550 to KT88 when going for a more aggressive sound in an amp.

I can't believe that the custom footswitch completely skipped my mind:facepalm:

The footswitch is awesome! and I love the blue LEDs you threw in there! My rig is almost all matching!!!

I guess I'll have to give those 6550s a little more time then.

• Members

And you keep them in the garage? It doesn't take much effort to get through a garage door...hmmm...

I'm not driving to Canada. I'm just saying...

It's alarmed and {censored} load of security cameras around... No worries here:thu:

• Members
I can't believe that the custom footswitch completely skipped my mind:facepalm:

The footswitch is awesome! and I love the blue LEDs you threw in there! My rig is almost all matching!!!

I guess I'll have to give those 6550s a little more time then.

That's just my opinion, about 6550 vs. KT88. However you might grow to appreciate them too, especially if you try finding a sweet spot for the bias.

I was wondering when you'd say something about the blue LEDs. :)

• Members
That's just my opinion, about 6550 vs. KT88. However you might grow to appreciate them too, especially if you try finding a sweet spot for the bias.

I was wondering when you'd say something about the blue LEDs.

Any hints for a sweet spot? I left them around the 86mV mark, but I think i preferred them at 84mV, more of a growl there.
Is biasing them in the 70's too low?

• Members

Any hints for a sweet spot? I left them around the 86mV mark, but I think i preferred them at 84mV, more of a growl there.

Is biasing them in the 70's too low?

Low is safe, in this context. (Underbiasing means biasing "too hot", and overbiasing means biasing "too cold", so I don't want to confuse the terminology for anyone reading this.) So biasing in the 70mV region (for how my bias test points work on the 100W models) won't hurt the amp. It might start sounding too clanky at some point, and then when biased even colder it'll start sounding harsh and weak for output, but the amp and the tubes won't be damaged by biasing on the cold side. I've biased 6550 in that range (35 per tube) and it's sounded fine. Some prefer a bit of a colder bias to keep the sound more "modern", as long as it's not too much.

Archived