thefyn

• Members

Bought Win 7 for wife

Decided on clean install on a new PC build with one or 2 parts from her old PC

Installed win 7

Key failed

Realized I got the upgrade

Installed XP

XP would not install: Burned disk from MS (fail) Burned disk from ISO torrent (fail) Installed my own DVD drive in her PC (fail), Turns out it can not write to partitions on the new hd

Formatted the old partition

XP installed

XP would not take the XP key (dug out another key) XP would not take the XP key

Put wifes old HD in the new build hoping i could get lucky and the old version of XP that she had before would boot (fail)

Now here is the wonderfullm amazing part:

Said F it and put wifes old PC back together, since it already had XP that is valid on it, I could probably install the Win 7 on that take the old HD, put it in the new build and she would have 2 drives.

Now here is the awesome amazing part: Her old PC will now not boot. This is the kicker, all I did it put it back to its former glory, and windows blue screens when it boots.

Dear Microsoft

{censored}ing die.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Does anyone know, how I can find the windows key that was on her old hard disk if I attach it to my PC? Just in case the 2 XP keys I have are for Dells or whatever?

I know there is a program which tells you what your key is if you are working within windows...but what about on on another disk that you didnt boot with?

• Members

I'm not sure this is true. I remember seeing an article online somewhere where they had a workaround that would let you fresh install Win 7 from an upgrade disc. I'll see if I can track the link down.

Im pretty sure the "upgrade" version can only upgrade from Vista.

• Members

As someone said there's no upgrade path from XP to Windows 7. I wouldn't even mess with the old hard drve. Why can't you write to the new hard drive? Has it been formatted? How big is it? Will the new PCs BIOS recognize the new drive?

Maxtor and other hard drive vendors have formatting tools on their site. You can download and create a bootable DVD.

Then install Vista SP1 and upgrade to Windows 7.

• Members

Don't you love it when a perfectly legit thing backfires even after spending
thousands of dollars with MS/BILL GATES ?

No wonder people write crack codes and snag bootleg software.
AND ofcourse try and explain this to customer service and see how far you get ?:mad::facepalm:

• Members

I've installed "upgrade" win7 on several machines as clean installs.

The actual disk and contents of full and upgrade version are identical, the keys issued are the only diference.

All you have to do it fully install it as a clean install, leave the key field blank and continue, it will allow you to use windows for a few days before forcing you to input a key.

Now, install the upgrade *again*, this time it will detect the previous install of itself and finish the installation, allowing your "upgrade" key to work.

This is only one way around this, there's a registry hack that will allow the same thing.

Archived