Friday Infuences Thread 10-05-12

Lee Knight

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's refreshing to see a crowded, on-shore, insides-of-a-washing machine break instead of those perfect, deserted, tow-in breaks you usually see in surfing vids.
;)

The music is killer too.
:thu:

Yeah. The Wedge is a place unto itself. (I think there are a couple of similar shore breaks in a couple of 'groins' as you go down the coast, but I'm not sure any is as violent -- or easily accessible -- as The Wedge. You must capitalize the T in The, it's like, iconic. ;) )

I only body surfed it a couple times. But one of those times was during two legendary weeks of huge waves in August of 1969. (The original story I heard about the film, Big Wednesday, was that it was inspired by those two weeks of huge waves, although the film puts its 'Great Swell' in '74. Don't know the truth of that.) I ended up eating sand about 4 times in a row and that was all I needed. We went back up to 13th Street in Newport (the normal best break for body surfing around there was at 17th for most of that summer but 13th, as I recall, was happening during those two weeks -- and the ocean floor really shifted during that period).

• Members

I played this live with a band I was in for a very short period of time about 12 years ago. Can't say we ever got that kind of response.

We didn't have a keyboard player, so I played those parts on a clean guitar in the verse and then distorted for the chorus. I've never been the greatest player, but it was surprisingly difficult keeping it tight with the vocals and instruments emphasizing different beats.

• Moderators

What I dig about Bill Evans is his interpretation of the core melody. A lot of players liked and like to play to the changes. Evans did that too... but he tended to really work the melody. He was known for his re-harmonization skill, and rightfully so, but I think the reason he was good at that, was because he always dug the relationship of the harmony to the core melody. He was so good at reinventing that relationship the writer created in the first place.

Pederson? I first heard him when I was a young jazz bassist myself (16 maybe?). Probably during his Joe Pass and George Shearing days. I do remember being stopped in my tracks. A showoff who didn't really showoff. And when supporting, was a very good, stand behind, supporting musician. But he sure could show off...

• Members

I saw them at around this time and they were just great. Yes, I know Peter looked silly, the music could justifiably be called pretentious and the lyrics (for the most part) even more so. Also in the debit column, the dissonance between the passionate playing and the fact that they look like they're sitting in the parlour enjoying high tea is, well, it's a little weird. But, but, BUT they had something really uplifting and exciting going on - especially to my 15-16 yr old ears. Odd thing is, watching it now, it still has that something. Thanks for posting :)

• Members

Early Genesis were definitely an influence but just to make absolutely sure no-one mistakes me for a prog-rock only type, here's another later but much more important influence on me. I'm sure it's probably been posted before but hey, it's worth it. (Apologies for the advertisment and the fact that whoever posted this on YouTube doesn't know the name of the song)

XrkThaBWa5c

• Members

Talk about your
dangerous breaks

I was looking for some vid examples from the 2012 Rick Holmstrom album,
Cruel Sunrise
, and found this among many clips. Rick is a long time veteran of the blues tour scene and most recently was on the Mavis Staples/Jeff Tweedy tour, along with Jeff Turmes and Stephen Hodges on drums, who fill those roles on the
Cruel Sunrise
album as well.

This isn't from that album but I couldn't resist it, since it focuses on one of the most fearsome surf breaks in all of SoCal.

On the subject of the Wedge, Dick Dale's song of that name came out in '63. Here's a live version...

• Members

Being part Scots I like the story behind this recording, part of an attempt to revive a dying language.

"The Braes o' Balquuhidder," a traditional Scottish song, sung by the Tannahill Weavers.

Being part Irish I also like the Irish derivation, "Wild Mountain Thyme." To me this is one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l9uJO9yOaQ

• Members

So much cool stuff here... as usual

I have a relevant update for my post earlier in this thread. The handful of songs I played with Righteous Buddha went really well. They have a new drummer that is a complete machine, but what was more exciting than that is the organ player and bass player (playing fiddle) sat in for about half my set. Instead of the usually bass, drums, percussionist, and horn section, I was accompanied by drums, percussionist, piano (bass with left hand), organ and fiddle. I got so caught up in the moment that I ended up adding verses to three of the songs.

After the fact, I asked my wife how those extras came across (sometimes you take a big swing and miss) and she said that she thought I had them worked out ahead of time. She would let me know if that wasn't the case.

I already talked to the guys, and once I can get some money together, I'd like to do a proper recording session that way.

Archived