Friday Infuences Thread 10-05-12

Lee Knight

• Members

Nice!!!! ^^^ So you're going to get them to record with you?!?!?!? Is that what you're saying?

Yes sir.

The studio where I did my last record, has a newly acquired 2 inch tape machine, but I don't know what the rates would be. I have a feeling they'll be out reach for the rest of this year, and I'd really like to get another one tracked before this year is done so I'm not sure how to proceed.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I watched the Brit romantic comedy Tamara Drewe last night. There's a fictional indie rock band called Swipe in it. And here's their hit. Not particularly high brow stuff, but there's something I really like about this song. The flow and the build. A little Kaiser Chiefs like. But I'm liking the real song craft going on here, hidden under the guise of an indie rock hit. It made me get up and dance all stupid like, much to my daughter and wife's dismay!

• Members
So much cool stuff here... as usual

I have a relevant update for my post earlier in this thread. The handful of songs I played with Righteous Buddha went really well. They have a new drummer that is a complete machine, but what was more exciting than that is the organ player and bass player (playing fiddle) sat in for about half my set. Instead of the usually bass, drums, percussionist, and horn section, I was accompanied by drums, percussionist, piano (bass with left hand), organ and fiddle. I got so caught up in the moment that I ended up adding verses to three of the songs.

After the fact, I asked my wife how those extras came across (sometimes you take a big swing and miss) and she said that she thought I had them worked out ahead of time. She would let me know if that wasn't the case.

I already talked to the guys, and once I can get some money together, I'd like to do a proper recording session that way.

That's really great. You should do a KickStarter campaign. Or charge here for lyrical advice. :cool:

• Members

That's really great. You should do a KickStarter campaign. Or charge here for lyrical advice.
:cool:

I tried that last year and it didn't work out. 3 folks from this forum pledged.

I just ended up paying for it out of pocket. I was pleased with the final product and got back what I put into it. I still have a couple tracks left over from the last session that I'd love to do something with.

There are certainly more people that know who I am now and with the right plan and enough time I'm sure we could make it work this go around, it was pretty devastating when it didn't fund. I think it is a great idea, but I'd rather not fool with it. May end up having to though... who knows.

• Members

1969 Buzzy Linhart.
I used to have this album but it disappeared round about then.
I haven't heard it since, and just found this on youtube - for some reason it was a track that had a profound influence on me.

There's something about that descending minor sequence.
Davey Graham used it as a 4 note descending root on 'Angie'
then John Sebastian used it on 'Summer in the City' as a 5 note descending root.
Then George Harrison with ' While my guitar gently weeps'.

• Members

I remember Buzzy Linhart. I had a couple of his LPs. Not his first one, though.

I really like a couple of his tunes, this one was a semi-hit for Bette Midler.

On another track, here's a Tom Waits fave...

Archived