What Amp makers are left here??

Lucius

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
yeah, but it's always nicer when they actually contribute.
:thu:

The problem is that, as an amp manufacturer, there is a fine line between participation and spamming. As many of you know, I'm all about amp discussion - I eat, sleep, and dream maps, I mean...amps. :) I have been active on the internet since the very early days of newsgroups like alt.guitar.amps. I love reading all the different forums on a daily basis, but I rarely post on any of them because it would be too much like self-promotion or spamming.

Forums are a very useful source of information for manufacturers, they are a way to quickly put out details on new products and get instant feedback from the players of your amps in order to make product improvements. But it is a double-edged sword - it can also be a way to quickly sink your ship and get a bad reputation - people usually don't remember the good things they read about you, but they never forget the bad things!

As a manufacturer, you have to tread very carefully and watch what you say, to avoid being perceived in a bad light. That is why you don't see many manufacturers posting on forums, but you can bet they all read them regularly...

Randall Aiken

• Members
The problem is that, as an amp manufacturer, there is a fine line between participation and spamming. As many of you know, I'm all about amp discussion - I eat, sleep, and dream maps, I mean...amps.
:)
I have been active on the internet since the very early days of newsgroups like alt.guitar.amps. I love reading all the different forums on a daily basis, but I rarely post on any of them because it would be too much like self-promotion or spamming.

Forums are a very useful source of information for manufacturers, they are a way to quickly put out details on new products and get instant feedback from the players of your amps in order to make product improvements. But it is a double-edged sword - it can also be a way to quickly sink your ship and get a bad reputation - people usually don't remember the good things they read about you, but they never forget the bad things!

As a manufacturer, you have to tread very carefully and watch what you say, to avoid being perceived in a bad light. That is why you don't see many manufacturers posting on forums, but you can bet they all read them regularly...

Randall Aiken

Woah, amp royality just arrived :eek:

• Moderators
The problem is that, as an amp manufacturer, there is a fine line between participation and spamming. As many of you know, I'm all about amp discussion - I eat, sleep, and dream maps, I mean...amps.
:)
I have been active on the internet since the very early days of newsgroups like alt.guitar.amps. I love reading all the different forums on a daily basis, but I rarely post on any of them because it would be too much like self-promotion or spamming.

Randall Aiken

Stick around sir, it'll get better. I promise.

• Members

On the flipside, being too builder friendly can turn a forum into the online equivalent of a large interactive banner ad/running commercial with a fake layer of censored interactivity floating on top to legitimize it.

If you aren't allowed to express an opinion that isn't anything but fanboi backslaps and builder pandering there is no use for a forum imo. :p

The best forums have always had a nice balance and not too skewed in either direction.

• Members
On the flipside, being too builder friendly can turn a forum into the online equivalent of a large interactive banner ad/running commercial with a fake layer of censored interactivity floating on top to legitimize it.

If you aren't allowed to express an opinion that isn't anything but fanboi backslaps and builder pandering there is no use for a forum imo.
:p

The best forums have always had a nice balance and not too skewed in either direction.

This. We {censored}ing need criticism, but it should be individually based and not bandwagoning.

• Members

If you aren't allowed to express an opinion that isn't anything but fanboi backslaps and builder pandering there is no use for a forum imo.
:p

Exactly! Guitar players tend to be a very loyal group of people, and if you hang around on a forum and post often enough, you develop friendships, and those people are then unlikely to criticize you, even if you deserve it. Some manufacturers take advantage of this and jump into almost every post, and then nobody in the group wants to say anything bad about their products, because they've developed a relationship with that person, or they fear what the builder might say on the forum if they post something negative about their products.

On the one hand, it's great to get personal interaction with the builder, but as you mentioned, it can stifle warranted criticism. In my opinion, it is best for a builder to be available to answer important questions when they come up, but they should maintain a relatively low profile to avoid this kind of situation.

It also goes the other way, too - because of such strong brand loyalty, some people go overboard in criticizing other products they don't care for. As a builder, you hate to see someone saying bad things about your products, but after awhile you learn what is constructive criticism and what is just someone venting because they like another product better. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and you can never please everyone!

Randall Aiken

• Members

Exactly! Guitar players tend to be a very loyal group of people, and if you hang around on a forum and post often enough, you develop friendships, and those people are then unlikely to criticize you, even if you deserve it. Some manufacturers take advantage of this and jump into almost every post, and then nobody in the group wants to say anything bad about their products, because they've developed a relationship with that person, or they fear what the builder might say on the forum if they post something negative about their products.

On the one hand, it's great to get personal interaction with the builder, but as you mentioned, it can stifle warranted criticism. In my opinion, it is best for a builder to be available to answer important questions when they come up, but they should maintain a relatively low profile to avoid this kind of situation.

It also goes the other way, too - because of such strong brand loyalty, some people go overboard in criticizing other products they don't care for. As a builder, you hate to see someone saying bad things about your products, but after awhile you learn what is constructive criticism and what is just someone venting because they like another product better. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and you can never please everyone!

Randall Aiken

PLUS ONE.

• Members

Randall Aiken

You have no idea how many times I have read your website's technical papers. Thanks for all that info! :love:

-D

• Members

Randall Aiken

I :love: you, and I don't own anything you've ever made! :thu:

Archived