Just watched the last night shuttle launch ever.

Fendert

• Members

I got up at 4:00 am and drove to the beach. Needless to say At 4:14 it launched and it was beautiful, you could see it from lift off all the till it was in orbit. funny enough it was the best one I've ever seen, perfect conditions.

just wanted to share

• Members

I'd love to go into space. Must be so surreal. I wonder if it will be a more frequent thing in say 50 years.

I think it's going to become less frequent until China starts doing it more.

Funnily enough, i used to think it'd be so calm and awesome to be in space. But then I realised that it'd just feel like you're falling, ALL THE TIME. It'd probably get old fast. :poke:

• Members
I got up at 4:00 am and drove to the beach. Needless to say At 4:14 it launched and it was beautiful, you could see it from lift off all the till it was in orbit. funny enough it was the best one I've ever seen, perfect conditions.

just wanted to share

thanks
:wave::thu:

I'm jealous! But good on you that you got up so early. :thu:

I hope to catch one of the remaining launches....but can be hard to get to with delay issues.

I (and many others I am sure) thought we should have a bigger space presence by now. But a majority of citizens obviously feel it's a waste. Too dumb to realize we...as a race...need space. Our puny efforts so far have made great contributions to our daily life. Imagine if we really put our minds to it.

And Obama is now making HIS influence of NASA apparent. :rolleyes: You can expect the program to be set back decades.

I'm not sure if China can pull it off without some major malfunctions. The USA private industry is where it must advance from.

• Members

Yeah, night launches are (were :cry: ) the best. I was up late after our gig on Saturday... figured I'd catch this one, but it got scrubbed. Then, I fell asleep last night after the game & didn't wake up early enough to see it this AM :mad:

...You can expect the program to be set back decades.

This whole region has just been handed the biggest screw-job since the 70's (Apollo/ Gemini missions ended) by the latest govt funding plans. :mad:

• Members

I (and many others I am sure) thought we should have a bigger space presence by now. But a majority of citizens obviously feel it's a waste. Too dumb to realize we...as a race...need space. Our puny efforts so far have made great contributions to our daily life. Imagine if we really put our minds to it.

And Obama is now making HIS influence of NASA apparent.
:rolleyes:
You can expect the program to be set back decades.

I'm not sure if China can pull it off without some major malfunctions. The USA private industry is where it must advance from.

funny I wrote a speech about those same issues on why it is so important to keep NASA last semester at UNF and it was so good my professor featured it in one of his blogs.

You all should read it. PM if interested :thu:

• Members

What are/were they replacing these shuttles with?

Regardless of the cutbacks, there must have been vehicles in their planning/testing phases years ago, yes?

NASA is slated to transition into more of a research-type role, whereas we're going to pay private firms/ other govts. for trips to the ISS/ sat launches. There is also funding for private firms to develop space travel tech.

The ramifications to this region with the current govt plan are frightening.

That being said, however, Bush didn't do us any favors either by pushing manned travel back to the moon using existing tech (shuttle). What we really need is a new vehicle for transporting people/ cargo into space.

• Members
And Obama is now making HIS influence of NASA apparent.
:rolleyes:
You can expect the program to be set back decades.

You cant really blame him you have no money left.

Bit like the UK, but our space program involves a shed and some soggy fireworks.

• Members

I think it's going to become less frequent until China starts doing it more.

Funnily enough, i used to think it'd be so calm and awesome to be in space. But then I realised that it'd just feel like you're falling, ALL THE TIME. It'd probably get old fast. :poke:

wat.

The feeling that you have when you're "falling" is your body accelerating. Within a few seconds you hit your peak speed and you lose that sensation.

Not to mention in space there is no gravity so there is no feeling of "falling."

• Members

US hates space. They think its a waste of money. But they spend their billions on waste batches of senseless movies and other entertainment.

Imagine if the grids went down and people could see the night sky as it was......

well, once the power was restored, they'd be finding more mercury vapor lamps to hang on their garage :mad:

• Members

If any of you have been to the Saturn V launch complex at Kennedy, at the end there is a big(48th scale) model of the shuttle on the launch pad with a moving payload gantry. I built that! It was one of the coolest projects I have done. One of the original engineers of the shuttle program took me all around the center and under the launch pad. I got to go in the micro film room and get copies of the actual blueprints used to make the shuttle and launchpad. That was good times. I will try and scan my portfolio pics of it tonight.

• Members

wat.

The feeling that you have when you're "falling" is your body accelerating. Within a few seconds you hit your peak speed and you lose that sensation.

Not to mention in space there is no gravity so there is no feeling of "falling."

That is not quite correct.

The gravity is equalized. The sun pulls you, the moon. The Earth. All the universe. If we had the sense and the time, you'd feel yourself be pulled along. Or you could hit at some precise point similar to a LaGrange point and be held fast by the battling gravities of the universe.

And like you, I've never been to space, but many people that have must overcome a sensation similar to falling. The ear/balance is built for an overwhelming gravity direction. And another thing....you may have the sensation of weightlessness, but you still have mass....so be careful negotiating the hallways.

New band name:

Sex In Space.

• Members

If any of you have been to the Saturn V launch complex at Kennedy, at the end there is a big(48th scale) model of the shuttle on the launch pad with a moving payload gantry. I built that! It was one of the coolest projects I have done. One of the original engineers of the shuttle program took me all around the center and under the launch pad. I got to go in the micro film room and get copies of the actual blueprints used to make the shuttle and launchpad. That was good times. I will try and scan my portfolio pics of it tonight.

VERY COOL! I'll have to remember that...we plan on going this summer.

and check this!

[YOUTUBE]KFFVY97rJ5E[/YOUTUBE]

full vid:

[YOUTUBE]HnD2VUo16PQ[/YOUTUBE]

Gives me goosebumps!

• Members

That's pretty cool! I might be working on the new Ares I CLV.

• Members

That is not quite correct.

The gravity is equalized. The sun pulls you, the moon. The Earth. All the universe. If we had the sense and the time, you'd feel yourself be pulled along. Or you could hit at some precise point similar to a LaGrange point and be held fast by the battling gravities of the universe.

And like you, I've never been to space, but many people that have must overcome a sensation similar to falling. The ear/balance is built for an overwhelming gravity direction. And another thing....you may have the sensation of weightlessness, but you still have mass....so be careful negotiating the hallways.

New band name:

Sex In Space.

You're actually totally right.

I was just sparknotes'ing it.

• Members
Anyone been to Johnson Space Center at NASA/Houston where they have a full size Saturn V on the grounds?

The biggest machine ever built by mankind. It's pretty humbling just to stand next to it.

I have. {censored}ing awesome.

The Space Shuttle landing simulators are pretty cool too. :thu:

Archived