I am probably in the minority here, but....

Chrisjd

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Neck pup is awesome for lead work. So smooth and fluid. Leads up high= neck pups. Leads low-Bridge...often switching right in the middle of a passage.

Surprisingly for some that don't play clean a lot, I use the bridge pup for most cleans, especially with effects. Jazz/some blues use neck pup.

• Members
Logic fail. No one has said they want their guitars with ONLY neck pickups. Most people have said they can't imagine having a guitar WITHOUT a neck pickup. The fact that the vast majority of guitars are made with neck pickups backs that up. No exaggeration involved.

True :)

Still, the OP is not alone in thinking that the neck pu is not necessary on an electric guitar - and that is why i brought in that the manufacturers have figued that out and used the available single pu guitars as an example.

• Members
True
:)

Still, the OP is not alone in thinking that the neck pu is not necessary on an electric guitar - and that is why i brought in that the manufacturers have figued that out and used the available single pu guitars as an example.

Also true. I guess I don't find it surprising that single pickup guitars are mostly bridge only. Seems like mostly metal/butt rock players. In the end, it's all about what works for each player.

• Members
IMO Nothing better for blues than a single coil in the neck position.

IMO, a singlecoil in the neck position is good for a whole lot of stuff.:cop:

When I was 15 years old, the bridge pickup was the best thing ever. Later when I grew up,.....23 years later, a neck pickup and a good boost pedal cover a shedload of ground for me. I also mainly play strats.:eek::lol:

• Members

I don't understand the love or need for neck pickups, even for clean tones and lead work.

For leads or clean playing I still much prefer my bridge pickups. The neck pickup always sounds so plinky and uninspiring, whereas the bridge pickups has a more vibrant, clear ring to it.

Anyone else feel this way?

That's because you play Metal, and Metal has nothing in common with dynamic emotion. It only has anger, cynicism and an occasional pretty.

Blues, melancholy, passion, sincerety, and lack of gnome voices are what's required to understand the neck pup.

You bridge pup's have a statement to make. But us Neck pup's can espress a wider range of teh emotionics.

• Members
You fellas need a tele.
:cop::eek:

I dunno, Tele bridge pickup can sound kind of awful clean except for strummed chords. At least mine sort of does, I probably need to swap it out.

It's too honky, and it always sounds like it's slightly distorted; it has the characteristics of something that's lightly overdriven through a vox amp but all the time. Without actually being overdriven a bit, it sounds kind of not very full, like you're playing it plugged out.

• Members

Neck pup is awesome for lead work. So smooth and fluid. Leads up high= neck pups. Leads low-Bridge...often switching right in the middle of a passage.

Surprisingly for some that don't play clean a lot, I use the bridge pup for most cleans, especially with effects. Jazz/some blues use neck pup.

Thats the classic Steve Morse philosophy.

Archived