I am probably in the minority here, but....

Chrisjd

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't understand the love or need for neck pickups, even for clean tones and lead work.

For leads or clean playing I still much prefer my bridge pickups. The neck pickup always sounds so plinky and uninspiring, whereas the bridge pickups has a more vibrant, clear ring to it.

Anyone else feel this way?

Nope.

I love my clean tones, and the neck pickup is necessary for that. The bridge sounds too harsh for that. Has a nice warmth to it but still open and rings out, nice and tinkly. The middle position/neck+middle is even nicer, has that extra syrupy but chimey texture.

And for leads the neck works great, it has this burlyness to it, rounded sound where you don't want as much attack.

• Members

I like using the neck pup for certain lead lines. It's also a great way to "cheat" if you are having a problem with strings ringing out as your are playing lead.

I like the neck, but I never use it for "rhythm". Ever. Other than leads, I will lower the volume knob on the neck pup and use it for a quick clean tone if I don't want to switch channels.

• Members

I had the neck pickup of my guitar taken out, like, completely. I don't ever use neck pickups and I find them to be a waste of space on my guitars pretty much. I also don't use tone knobs. I had my gretsch re-wired to be a 1 pickup guitar with a master volume knob and no tone knob. I had a 3 way varitone switch put in where my pickup selector switch was.

People can say whatever they want about how "amateur" or whatever that might be but it works for me. I grew up in the simple is better punk rock school.

Archived