I am probably in the minority here, but....

Chrisjd

• Members
Nothing sounds worse than bridge position cleans on an LP. I'm sure someone will post an exception to this tho.
:o

I'm pretty sure Adam Jones almost always plays on the bridge when clean, although I can understand why some would not like that sound.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

you know, I've moved to playing leads with my bridge 90% of the time.

It's a lot harder to play leads that way, but it really made me clean up my playing, especially for really fast shreddy stuff. I strictly use my bridge when I practice now just so I don't have the neck tones cover it up.

I also love the feeling and the attack on really fast solo runs with palm mutes in them. Just doesn't sound the same.

• Members

The Ibanez Super 58 pickup is about the best neck pu I have ever used or heard for that matter. Yeah it's used for a lot of jazz stuff which I don't play but for overdriven rhythm, and leads it's amazing. Super musical and lots of bottom end but never muddy or plucky. Never. With an Echoplex and a chorus pedal you can get some amazing deep "violin" tones which are very cool for Eric Johnson type studio stuff.

• Members

With all this love for neck pickups the interesting question is why only jazzboxes from the early days of electric guitars came with neck pickups only?

I mean, if you are looking for a single pickup guitar (that is not a jazz/blues semi) chances are that in 99.6% of cases you will find that the pickup is in the bridge position.

Have guitar manufacturers really gotten it all totally wrong for many decades?

• Members

With all this love for neck pickups the interesting question is why only jazzboxes from the early days of electric guitars came with neck pickups only?

I mean, if you are looking for a single pickup guitar (that is not a jazz/blues semi) chances are that in 99.6% of cases you will find that the pickup is in the bridge position.

No, most rock rhythm sounds best playing with a bridge pup, which has pretty much dominated guitar playing the last couple decades or so. Still, its kinda rare to see one pup guitars, 2 or more pups are the most common.

• Members

No right or wrong here. I would be perfectly happy with a Jazzbox with only a neck pickup. Makes sense that that is the only pickup a Jazz player would want.

• Members

No right or wrong here. I would be perfectly happy with a Jazzbox with only a neck pickup. Makes sense that that is the only pickup a Jazz player would want.

I admit that i would never want a single neck pickup guitar as the only guitar to own - simply because imo that is too limiting stylistically, whereas i could easily live with just one guitar with just one bridge pu.

Personally i can see a neck pu's usefulness in clean playing - but as soon as some overdrive gets into the equation to me they sound too dark and muddy.

• Members

I know that single pickup guitars are rare - erhemm - but my point was that i think that the love for neck pickups in this thread is higly exaggerated going by what guitar manufacturers actually have for sale.

Well in my case: Could I live without a neck pup? yes. Could I live without a bridge pup? No. That doesn't mean that I don't want anything but a bridge pup. I'd say the guitar manufacturers have it right. Just because people love neck pups doesn't mean they don't love bridge pups even more.

• Members
Well in my case: Could I live without a neck pup? yes. Could I live without a bridge pup? No. That doesn't mean that I don't want anything but a bridge pup. I'd say the guitar manufacturers have it right. Just because people love neck pups doesn't mean they don't love bridge pups even more.

We seemingly agree :D

I was just commenting on the general tone in the thread that to me seems to exaggerate the importance of the neck pu.

• Members

Allan Holdsworth doesn't need a neck pickup. Nuff said.

That guy is really talented but honestly I can't think of a worse guitar tone. Sounds like a pos solid state amp with a nasty chorus put up to max in the mix. Come to think of it that might be exactly what he's doing :facepalm: .

Anyway for me with my HSS Dinky (w/ BKPs now :love: ), I can't help but switch to one of my singles for cleans/mid-gain and the bucker for distorted sounds.

• Members
That guy is really talented but honestly I can't think of a worse guitar tone. Sounds like a pos solid state amp with a nasty chorus put up to max in the mix. Come to think of it that might be exactly what he's doing
:facepalm:

Anyway for me with my HSS Dinky (w/ BKPs now
:love:
), I can't help but switch to one of my singles for cleans/mid-gain and the bucker for distorted sounds.

Was thinking the same thing but too scared to say anything.

• Members

I know that single pickup guitars are rare - erhemm - but my point was that i think that the love for neck pickups in this thread is higly exaggerated going by what guitar manufacturers actually have for sale.

Logic fail. No one has said they want their guitars with ONLY neck pickups. Most people have said they can't imagine having a guitar WITHOUT a neck pickup. The fact that the vast majority of guitars are made with neck pickups backs that up. No exaggeration involved.

Archived