So guys... what to buy???

guitarbilly74

• Members

I'm getting my tax return soon and I will be FINALLY able to get a second guitar, after spending a whole year with one guitar and praying for strings not to break during shows hahaha. I'm getting a good refund $4000, but half of it is going to Guitarbilly Jr's college fund... so I will be left with about 2 grand. That doesn't mean I want to spend it all.

Also, my amp/effects rig is done so I don't need anything on that department... I'm really happy with my current rig.

Here's the options I am considering:

1- Gibson Les Paul Std - that's what I had before finances hit the {censored}ter and I know I can dig it BUT it will likely take up most of the money and at this point after playing with a more affordable guitar for so long AND getting great results out of it, I'm kinda leary of paying nearly $2k on a guitar

2- Hamer USA Studio or Special - that would be really cool, kinda like the USA version of my current axe and I can buy it used and have quite a bit of cash left, maybe I can put more aside for the kid

3- Gibson SG/Explorer/V: That could be even cheaper and still really cool, I used to have all these guitars and I love them. Maybe I could even buy 2 Sgs, like a Special and a faded and have them with different pickups and {censored}.. and still have more $ put aside for when GB Jr goes to Harvard Medical (yeah right! :lol: )

4- ???? What else do you guys suggest? I don't want strats or teles or any Fender-type, I also don't want super strats or any kinda of "shredder" axe, just a good old set neck guitar with fixed bridge and HBs? What else is out there??

Oh and no Carvins... don't ask me why I don't want them, I just don't :cool:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What! No Carvins? But you're so close to the hollywood store. O well, my pick from your list would be the Hamer. They are great guitars and if you can get it and put more aside for your son's college fund all the better. Are you putting the $ in a 529?

yeah it goes into the ScholarShare 529.

The Hamer is honestly my preferred choice, BUT with Hamers you can see tons of good deals for a while and then not see one for months. I hope I get lucky once the money is here (sometime around the end of the week)

• Members

i say test out a parker...

i could see you rocking a wolfgang too...

how about a charvel san dimas?

the Charvel and the Wolfgang are not my style.... at least not at this point, as I want something to be my main guitar, maybe in the future as a side choice.

Parkers are interesting, do they have any fixed bridge models?

• Members

They are getting harder to find, but the discontinued (for some time now) Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded can easily be found for under $2000 or even $1500.

Only difference being is that they are all matte finished, but everything else is top-shelf Gibson, inc burstbuckers stock. :thu:

They are known to have some pretty awesome finishes, here's your first proof:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/msg/1594845803.html

Just be sure to save one for me in the near future :o

• Members
They are getting harder to find, but the discontinued (for some time now) Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded can easily be found for under $2000 or even $1500.

Only difference being is that they are all matte finished, but everything else is top-shelf Gibson, inc burstbuckers stock.
:thu:

That's what I used to have:

newlp01.jpg

boy I miss that guitar

• Members

yeah it goes into the ScholarShare 529.

The Hamer is honestly my preferred choice, BUT with Hamers you can see tons of good deals for a while and then not see one for months. I hope I get lucky once the money is here (sometime around the end of the week)

I just got a Hamer double cut goldtop for $150 . I am getting it set up right now.I do wish the headstock was a little bit smaller.

• Members
Damn , I hate to rub it in, but I would miss that myself.
:love:

man if I start to post my old collection you will wonder how did I manage to sell them all, without killing myself in the process.. I had a bunch of guitars and each one of them was a carefully selected gem.

The good side is that going down to nearly nothing made me realize that is the music, not the gear, that really moves me, so it's all good.

Archived