Where we write/record

• Members

I went with a slate blue/grey feel. I think if I stay here (divorce unkown), I'll go for an update much like the gothy red and black theme above. Less gothy but warm, relaxed, funky and creative. A statement but not tacky. I had originally set my place up as a telephony studio and needed the corporate/creative feel to keep in line with the office at work, as I had bosses showing up to "help" i.e. eff it up
:)
. But now that that my home studio is strickly for music and I have on onsite telephony studio...

...bwahahah!

Cool then I will be moving in and the superteam will be together to take over the credible pop market

Well thats my plan anyway.....

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I ended up going with a darker blue-grey. My basement already has quite a bit of red in it and was going for something different. Also, my electric guitars are all shades of red and I'll be mounting them on the wall, so I'm thinking they'd stand out more on a darker blue wall.

We'll see... I think all of my acoustic absorption materials will be red...

• Members

Now we don't want your music to be overwhelmed by the colour of your room.
Colour selection is an area where I have some expertise, but it's tricky.

Firstly, try not to select a colour in isolation - get all the major areas of colour together, because they affect each other, and therefore need to be read together.
Also small samples of colour on a chart never look the same on a large surface.
A common error would be to select a blue-grey from a chart and when it's on the walls, say, "I didn't expect it to be so blue".
Especially alongside reds - blues look much bluer.
The answer is to err on the side of grey in the selection and get a small sample pot to put on the wall before buying it all.

Trust me - this has been part of my working life for 40 years. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Exciting day in my world... got a start on my custom DIY desk for my home studio. And by DIY, I mean I'm paying my trusty handyman to do it his-self. All's that's left is to do the trim, painting, and staining. It's a combination of MDF and Oak veneer.

imagekzu.jpg

• Moderators
Exciting day in my world... got a start on my custom DIY desk for my home studio. And by DIY, I mean I'm paying my trusty handyman to do it his-self. All's that's left is to do the trim, painting, and staining. It's a combination of MDF and Oak veneer.

imagekzu.jpg

That's a nice desk!!! Do you have the plans?

• Members

That's a nice desk!!! Do you have the plans?

Funny you should mention that. My handyman was cursing me all day because I had no plans... we basically templated it out right on the MDF with a pencil. Scribbled some stuff on scrap paper. The rest was in his head.

There is room for 6 rack units.

• Members

Stain and one coat of poly so far... here is an updated pic. We've also constructed monitor stands. They're not actually assembled yet... I stained and painted the individual pieces... and sort of mocked one up in the second picture, but the bottom base is not in the pic becuase it was still drying.

imagetub.jpg

imagebpc.jpg

• Members

You can't go wrong with paisley.

Watch out for the lava lamp. I broke my family's beloved lava lamp (OK, I loved the thing, some client or vendor or someone gave it to my old man for Christmas)...

... and it was a mess of utterly insane proportions. I don't know what that stuff is in there but it is really a TFPITA to clean up. (And I've since heard very toxic, but that could be outmoded info, an old wive's tale, etc.)

• Members
You can't go wrong with paisley.

Watch out for the lava lamp. I broke my family's beloved lava lamp (OK, I loved the thing, some client or vendor or someone gave it to my old man for Christmas)...

... and it was a mess of utterly insane proportions. I don't know what that stuff is in there but it is really a TFPITA to clean up. (And I've since heard very toxic, but that could be outmoded info, an old wive's tale, etc.)

But... but... how do I get the proper studio mojo without a lava lamp? :confused:

• Members

One lava lamp is good - but two angers the god, Vulcan, which is definitely to be avoided.

Oh crap... I have so much to learn. I thought ProTools was going to be hard enough to master... and compression and all that other stuff... now I have to worry about the gods. I should have known. I'm in over my head.

• Members

Oh crap... I have so much to learn. I thought ProTools was going to be hard enough to master... and compression and all that other stuff... now I have to worry about the gods. I should have known. I'm in over my head.

We're all in over our heads - how else would we get to experience real creative anguish?

• Members

We're all in over our heads - how else would we get to experience real creative anguish?

Creative anguish is hearing the phrase "over our heads" and immediately thinking about the late episodes of The Facts of Life, after Edna's Edibles burned to the ground and they reopened a new store. George Clooney played the handyman...

Bee3, nice desk. Just started cleaning out the garage of old construction crap and useless wood bits. Found some nice wood to build something similar (with more hidden shelving to store all the extra cabling and crap I keep around). Your work has inspired me to try to make my space more usable. That and I bought a small 12 channel mixer today (yay!), meant for my weekly gigs but I plan to use it for recording as well. Discovered a potentially loose connection in my guitar UST pre-amp which causes grounding hum when guitar is held at certain angles (boo!) which I have to take apart and fix tomorrow.

• Members

So they have lava lamps all over the studio I've been working in. My kid came by a couple times and fell in love with the lava. Last night she told me the main two things she wants for Christmas are a lava lamp and to go see Yo Gabba Gabba Live. Does my soon to be 5 year old girl have the same mental thought processes as a college age stoner?

Archived