Where we write/record

• Members

So they have lava lamps all over the studio I've been working in. My kid came by a couple times and fell in love with the lava. Last night she told me the main two things she wants for Christmas are a lava lamp and to go see Yo Gabba Gabba Live. Does my soon to be 5 year old girl have the same mental thought processes as a college age stoner?

You're in luck. Lava lamps are like $20! I think it's win-win.

As a former college stoner, I think the opposite is true. I'm pretty sure I have the mentality of a 5 year old.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Bee, if that was my space someone would have to pry me out occasionally to take nourishment and relieve myself, perhaps to go make some money to support the habit. I mean the couch is even big enough to sleep on. Very impressive, with lovely guitars as well. I did notice the iPod dock. It looks like a Bose. I am so unhappy that the Bose I got for my iPod Classic doesn't support my newer Nano, but my cheap Logitech does

• Members

I think 'Studio Envy' may replace GAS.

My studio is still a ZOOM H1 placed on a convenient table in a room in the house where there is no noise.

Our expectations of your output have now multiplied.

You like red guitars, don't you?

Question : I see your main monitors are on independent stands, but what are the small monitors each side of the Mac for?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

bee -- OT but I was in a store yesterday evaluating nearfield monitors.
I moved through the 5" and 6" and decided I would like 8" to get the bass information without using a sub. (I don't want to use a sub, because most end product music isn't listened to with a sub).

My ears are ageing a bit so I am aware that we lose a bit of the high end information.
For this reason the KRK's and the Mackies sounded a bit mid and muddy.
The Yamahas however delivered the information very clearly to my brain.

So to cut to the chase - Are those Yamaha HS80M in your studio?
If so - why did you select them, and do you still like them?
Would you go for something different now (but in the same price range)?

• Members

They were recommended to me by a recording engineer friend of mine. I really like them... That said, I don't have much to compare against. I did do a lot of research and they get consistently good reviews. Of course, the first thing any acoustician will tell you is to treat your room before spending money on gear.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

[ATTACH=CONFIG]340109[/ATTACH]

My desk and guitar.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]340107[/ATTACH]

My desk top.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]340108[/ATTACH]

A cardboard box holding my Olympus voice recorder.

Not seen: my GarageBand software, where I add reverb, cut down noise, etc.

LCK

• Members

A cardboard box holding my Olympus voice recorder.

Not seen: my GarageBand software, where I add reverb, cut down noise, etc.

LCK

Looxury !! (with north England accent)

Real desk - I dream of having real desk.

Otherwise identical setup with guitar, laptop and portable recorder.

I move around the house to encamp in a quiet spot.

But from one GB novice to another, I've started doing something I find quite useful.

Once I have put down a track of backing guitar, I copy it into 3 more tracks, keeping only the verse which I loop for 3 minutes.

Similarly I loop the chorus and the bridge as separate 3 minute tracks.

In this way, whilst in playback / record, I can sing a repetitive chorus, bridge and verse for 3 minutes each, experimenting with variations as I go.

I find it helps to focus on the vocal melody of each section in isolation rather than through the whole song at once.

So GB is proving to be a useful and uncomplicated working tool.

Production - no thanks - the thought puts me all a tremble.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I am posting this here to bring back this thread.

As you can see below, my space reflects my scattered mind and is almost like a padded cell.

room.jpg

Above: Conn 6 String acoustic bought new 1982, used Yamaha 12 string bought on ebay this year, GL2000 bass 2002 (circa 1982 guitar) and my pride and joy the Gretch 6 string electric, new in 2011.

And in the shot below, you can see that Saint Paul looks over me in all I do.

paul.jpg

Rick

• Members

I am posting this here to bring back this thread.

As you can see below, my space reflects my scattered mind and is almost like a padded cell.

room.jpg

Above: Conn 6 String acoustic bought new 1982, used Yamaha 12 string bought on ebay this year, GL2000 bass 2002 (circa 1982 guitar) and my pride and joy the Gretch 6 string electric, new in 2011.

And in the shot below, you can see that Saint Paul looks over me in all I do.

paul.jpg

Rick

And I shall repeat my MASSIVE interest in your Gretsch!! ;)

• Members

Oh... ah... that acoustic electric bass... what do you think about the sound out of it as opposed to the electric bass? More mellow I would guess???

Rick

yeh kinda almost has a double bass sound (without the deep bottom end) i usually mic and DI plus its fretless! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I record in my dirty old cellar. It look more like the Cavern club than a real studio.

No computer stuff, just and old Roland 1880, some nice pre and mic, plus 35 years of guitar, amps and gear collecting.

Drum set is mic-ed and ready to go, bass am and bass guitars are handy.

It's really a pitiful place and rather cramped.

I write songs on my computer and have an acoustic handy, it's in what at one time was a kitchen pantry.

• Members
Don't think I have posted this shot.

Had the studio in good order for my 60th birthday bash.

P1050008.jpg

Dude, I had an "SG" bass like that. Mine had the action of a standup and no more room left on the truss. And the saddle damper thing was messed up. But it was a real Gibson. :D

• 1 year later...

Archived